What POKE suppresses the INPUT question mark in X16 BASIC?

mobluse

Question

What is the POKE to suppress the INPUT question mark in X16 BASIC? On C64 it is POKE 19,32, but that and POKE 19,1 doesn't work on X16 with ROM R41. The other method using OPEN works, but I would prefer a POKE to do it, because then I can have more similar programs for different BASICs. 

https://retrocomputing.stackexchange.com/questions/4883/c64-basic-how-to-suppress-the-sign-when-using-the-input-command

Edited by mobluse

2 answers to this question

I think address 19 (decimal) was called CHANNL on the C64.

On the X16 you can't really write code that directly uses that kind of RAM address, as it is subject to change between ROM versions.

An example to illustrate this: In the last ROM image build I did some weeks ago, CHANNL was $03DD. POKE $03DD,32 removes the question mark from INPUT. But in the R41 ROM, CHANNL was $03DE. POKE $03DE,32 then removed the question mark.

Edited by Stefan
  • Thanks 1

• Super Administrators

Yup. The correct answer is "Don't do that." Because the addresses change with each build of the ROMs. 

If you feel you must do that, you'll have to look through the "SYM" files for the CHANNL symbol to get the correct value, then update that value for each version of the ROM. As you can imagine, that's an exercise in frustration. It's better to, as you suggested, use the OPEN and INPUT# commands if you don't want the question mark.