How do I use .D64 disk images? Trying to get GEOS started in emulator

Bram Doornbos

Hello everyone,

Just as a curiosity I try to start GEOS as it was mentioned on the FAQ and I do have the disk images here.
But I could not find a way to mount D64 disk images within the emulator. Maybe I overlooked a command.

Right now I am stuck with a message "please insert a disk with deskTop V1.5 or higher".

I hope someone can tell me how to do this.

Best regards and thanks in advance,

Bram Doornbos

You should be able to mount it by just running the emulator with "-sdcard APPS64.D64".  Keep in mind though, GEOS is only in a semi-working state right now.  All the apps from DeskTop fail to load with disk read failures, at least, in my experience.

Edited by Ender
  • Like 1

No that will not work .. (at least not if this is not an undocumented feature). -sdcard does accept a fat32 .img file ... not a D64 image file.

AFAIK you cannot mount D64 images at all. 

Workaround: Take all the files and put it directly in a directory (inside the x64emu). You can extract all the files with DirMaster

6 hours ago, SerErris said:

No that will not work .. (at least not if this is not an undocumented feature). -sdcard does accept a fat32 .img file ... not a D64 image file.

AFAIK you cannot mount D64 images at all. 

Workaround: Take all the files and put it directly in a directory (inside the x64emu). You can extract all the files with DirMaster

It does work, though. I tried it again before making my post. There's glue code in DOS specifically for supporting GEOS.

Edited by Ender

38 minutes ago, SerErris said:

Is this generic support for D64 which is just not documented? 

Confused now.

As far as I understand it, the glue code intercepts GEOS's load calls and translates them into something the fat32 driver understands. It's not general D64 support, it just allows GEOS to load from the disk. You can see it in dos/geos.s in the rom code.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...