Matej

What 8bit / 16bit / workstation do You own?

- Atari 130XE, Atari STE, Atari FALCON 030, Atari 2600

- Commodore 64, Amiga 500+68030 turbocard, Amiga 1200

- Apple 2 GS Woz, Apple PowerMAC G5 Dual/8GB/1TB/256mbVGA PowerPC workstation

- ToshibaTecra8000 (DOS gaming)

- Philips MSX2, Sony MSX1

- ZX Spectrum 48K, ZX Spectrum 128k

- Nintendo NES, SNES, N64, WiiU, GBA, DSlite

- Sega Genesis/Megadrive 1 & 2 and rare Genesis 3 clone

- Cute SUN Microsystems SUN RAY2 risc client

And You?

Edited by Matej
  • Like 3

4 hours ago, AndyMt said:

Impressive!

Me - none. I think a MiSTer doesn't count?

Why wouldn't it? 

He did say "retro." By definition, a MiSTer is retro. Retro is a modern thing that looks like an old thing. 

An Atari, Commodore, or Apple II would be vintage. Vintage is an old thing that is actually.... old.

Anyway, my vintage hardware:

• Commodore 64 breadbin (1984 board, I believe the 3rd rev)
    • 1541 (gray) with drive select
  • Commodore 64C (early model with front printing, long board, and 6581 SID)
    • 1541-II
    • 1541 Ultimate
  • Commodore 128 (mostly just sit there, looking good. The keyboard needs to be torn down, cleaned, and lubricated.)
  • Compaq Portable (not working, same issue as the one David fixed on his channel)
  • Tandy 102

My Retro hardware:

• MiSTer FPGA
  • Ultimate 64
  • Turbo Chameleon w/stand-alone dock
  • TheC64 (pre-ordered)
  • 3 Altairduinos and an Altair Clone

I've also got several SD2IEC devices: a black one with a tape port connector, white one with a User port connector, and a larger one that has a removable power cord and dual IEC jacks (allowing for pass-through to a real floppy drive or 1541U).

I'm on the lookout for CP/M hardware, such as an S-100 or a Kaypro CP/M system. I can't afford what I'm seeing, though, so I'm keeping an eye out for a lucky deal...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My vintage hardware is pretty much entirely video game consoles:

• Atari 2600
  • Atari 5200
  • NES
  • Gameboy

I suppose if you want to get technical and define "vintage" as anything 20 or older, we can add:

• Sega Genesis
  • Super NES
  • N64

I wouldn't exactly call them "workstations", though.

Except for the NES, these are all the original devices I'd played games on growing up. Never sold them, and eventually took them with me when I moved out of my parents' house.

I used to have a Macintosh SE at my parents' house, which Dad had gotten when one of his employers was clearing out old workstations. I wonder if it's still around somewhere.

But sadly, I missed the 80s PC scene at home, and instead we had a dumb terminal with a 2400bps modem that Mom used to work from home (she was a full-time programmer).

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Unfortunately I don't have any vintage computer in my collection. Most of my childhood was playing games on the Sega Dreamcast and the SNES. I think the only remotely vintage or retro things I own are a cartridge for the gameboy and another for the gameboy color - I played those on a GameBoy Advance SP though (which was stolen, someone had broken in our home and they stole a bunch of other useless stuff like a laptop that could only power on when it was plugged with its charger - without the charger...)

So I own 2 Dreamcasts and a Nintendo 64. My parents are still holding on their SNES even though it doesn't work anymore and why shouldn't they? The console had amazing games with very nostalgic memories attached and my mom knew how to clear many Super Mario titles by heart and she could beat LoZ A Link to the Past without dying. I remember when I was a kid I was mostly watching my parents play. We even had nights where my brother and I would get to sleep like that - we'd watch our parents play Mario and fall asleep like that. Fun times.

Edited by Doigt
  • Like 3

Those are some impressive collections.  Mine is a bit more humble and is mostly old video game systems that my family never got rid of:

Vintage:

• A C64 Breadbin that I rescued from the trash and repaired.  (It was literally on the curb in my neighborhood; the house was put up for sale and the real estate company removed everything and put it out on the street for trash pickup.)  I'm learning the ins and outs of the SID chip on it.
    • Datassette that I bought on eBay (listed as broken) and repaired.
  • 386-based "IBM Compatible" as we used to call them, branded with the name of a local electronics store that has long since closed. Has a SoundBlaster 16 card.  Too low-powered to run Doom, but great for playing Planet X3.
  • Atari 2600  (Sears "Telegames"  model), and about 3 dozen games.  Been in my family since before I was born, stopped working about 5 years ago.  I'll repair it one of these days - I need Joust back in my life.
  • Intellivision, broken, that used to belong to my aunt.  It has never worked, not even when I was a kid.  I should try to repair that too.
  • GameBoys: While I still have the original DMG I got when I was a kid, I do all my chiptune work on a GameBoy Pocket that I bought at a flea market and then "ProSound" modded. (I didn't want to open up my original one in case I botched the mod!)
  • NES:  I still have my original NES, but I don't use it for anything besides playing games.  I have plans to get a second one and take the R2a03 out and use it as the base for a breadboard computer, to use for making chiptunes, but I haven't done it yet. It'll be a tough project. I don't want to risk dissecting my childhood one since it still works!
  • SNES, the one I had in my childhood. On mine, the top shell piece faded into yellow while the bottom stayed the original grey.  My best friend's, however, ended up with the bottom shell faded and the top shell stayed perfectly fine.  The mysteries of SNES plastic.
  • I like collecting 90s-era MIDI tone generators, although I think those are all too new to be 8/16bit.  I have a few versions of the Roland SoundCanvas, a couple in the Yama MU series, and a Yamaha QY70. 

My first computer growing up was an Apple //e, with a "green screen".  Alas, we don't have it anymore. I miss it!

Retro:

• I think the only 'retro' computer I have is the PE6502, which I put together from the kit. It's a pretty fun little device. I'm still hoping Jason Putnam will release the sound card.
  • I'm in the Kickstarter for the "Liven 8bit Warps", a modern music synth with chiptune sensibilities. Apparently some of the audio generation is actually done with 8bit processing. They're starting to ship, but mine hasn't shipped yet. (Here's a link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/sonicware/liven-8bit-warps-8bit-wave-memory-synthesizer-8 ).  Maybe I'll make a post about it (in the off-topic forum) when I get it.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

My collection isn't very big.

• My interest in retro things started when I was a kid with a C64, which my uncle gave to me.  He later took it back and gave me a C128, which I still have in storage, along with a floppy disk drive and a monitor for it, and tons of books.  It hasn't been turned on in like 15 years so I don't know if it still works. I really need to set it up again and see if it still works.
  • If we're mentioning old video game consoles then I have:
    • Sega Gamegear
    • Sega Genesis
    • PS1
    • PS2
    • Xbox original
    • N64
    • Gamecube
    • Gameboy Color
    • We also have an Intellivison in storage somewhere that also hasn't been turned on in a long time, so who knows if that still works.
  • Like 2

My Hardware is more Commodore centric since that is what I grew up with.

Commodore 64 (3 x tape, floppy drives etc)
Amiga 500
Amiga 600
Amiga 2000
Wanting to get a few more Commodore bits and pieces like an early Commodore PC. Maybe a VIC20 as well.

My day drives are a i7 Win10 PC, iMac 27" and a MacBook. 

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

Sadly, none anymore. 😐

While I have owned many over the years, I just don't have the time or room for them these days. It sucks, but it is what it is. That's why I am interested in the X16, a "one stop shop" for all my retro computing needs. 👍

Right now, it's all emulation, via Windows PC and Raspberry Pi. That's the second reason the X16 captured my interest, I would be able to mess with something that's close to original "80's" hardware.

Talking my wife into it when the time comes, that will be the true challenge. 😁

Edited by Strider
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Posted (edited)

As Strider says, I lack the time and space.  I donated my C64 and disk drive 15 years ago to a co-worker who was an enthusiastic young techie.  Then I sold my C64 game collection 12 years ago. 

Finally 10 years ago a very kind and helpful retro BBS guy digitized my three remaining 1541 diskettes for me.  Those are all I have left, but they represent a significant portion of the coding I did back in the 80s, so I really haven't lost all that much.

...But I have room for an X16.

Edited by rje
  • Like 1

My orig. C64 with it's IEEE based SFD-1001, 1541 Flash, RS232 and Hayes Smartmodem 1200 is all gone, sadly.  I ran a BBS on it in 1984 when I lived in Berkeley California.  All that remains aside from  of printouts of some assembly language and a very long basic program (see pic, that is 1 of 12 pages that I will type in some day) is a 1701 monitor.  

But starting 10 years ago, I've accumulated:

• Pet 4032 with Visicalc ROM, a MSD drive and CBM 4022 Printer and more recently the SD2PET
  • 2 x SX-64s (but call it one and a half because one has a video problem and a blown out SID)
  • 1 x C128 with a jack'd up keyboard (recently bought a C=Key kit that someday will fix this)
  • 1 x Plus 4 which I JUST bought from eBay last night; hopefully it will work; very much looking fwd to that
  • 1 x MiniPet project
  • 1 x Ben Eater 6502 setup

The Pet is the prize of my collection as it's the first computer I used as a young child; more importantly because I'm using it to give my 11 year old in-home STEM classes.  We are working on a simple game that she is writing in Basic.  I am hopeful that she will learn as I did and build upon it some day maybe not as an IT professional but in learning to break through barriers, to think logically, and be resourceful when it comes to solving programs.

And yes, for me, it all started with the desire to play games beginning with Invaders on the Pet.

IMG_4993.thumb.JPG.be0e0d7517cd7bf7bd07b86e41e6c625.JPG

• Like 4

On 10/7/2020 at 1:24 PM, EMwhite said:
  • 1 x Plus 4 which I JUST bought from eBay last night; hopefully it will work; very much looking fwd to that

That's funny, I just lost an auction on a Plus/4 that same night.  Still in the original box, with the manuals and everything! 

It wasn't on eBay, though, it was on Goodwill, so I guess it wasn't the same auction.

I lost that auction also but then jumped on the most reasonable Buy-it-now available that night.  Still $150.  Could backfire on me if it does not work but we will see what shows up in about a week.

I was never really onboard with the Plus 4 but the "Commodore History - Part 4" with the Bill Herd interview pushed me over the edge.  A real UART, high # of colors, built in monitor and lore appeal to me and I think it might be the spiritual ancestor of what the X16 will be; something which is not C64 compatible, but with a faster clock, lofty goals.  It's ironic that Commodore went 'back' to the 128 from there and obviously, the rest is history.

• Like 2

Hahaha! That's too funny.  Sorry, I'm the jerk who put it up from $125 to $150 at the last minute (and still lost). Many apologies, my friend. Please do let us know if it works.

• Like 1

I've got a Commodore 64 (with its 1541, but the cable's missing, anyone?) and an Apple ][c around here. Also a Mac Performa 6200CD I should repair one of these days.

• Like 2

What do I have:

- snes
- Nintendo 64
- Gamecube
- Wii
- Wii U
- Switch
- Gameboy
- Gameboy Color
- DS
- DS XL
- DS XL 3D

- Sega GameGear

- Atari 2600
- Atari Lynx
- Atari 65XE
- Atari 800XE
- Atari 520ST
- Atari 1040ST
- Atari 1040STf
- Atari 1040STfm
- Atari 1040 STe (2x)
- Atari Mega STe (2x)
- Atari TT030
- Atari Falcon

- Commodore C16 (with internal 64k)
- Commodore 64 Breadbin (3x)
- Commodore 64C (2x)
- Commodore C128
- Amiga 500 (2x)
- Amiga 2000 (2x)
- Amiga 1200
- Amiga CDtv

- Apple 512k ED
- Apple Macintosh Plus
- Apple Macintosh SE/30
- Apple Macintosh IIfx
- Apple Macintosh IIsi
- Apple Macintosh Performa II
- Apple Quadra 640
- Apple Quadra 840av
- Apple Quadra 900 with A/UX
- Apple Macintosh 8100
- Apple Macintosh 8600
- Apple Macintosh 9600
- Apple PowerPc G3 (grey version)
- Apple PowerPc G3 blue and white version
-- Apple PowerPc G4
- Apple PowerMac G5
- Apple MacPro 1.1
- Apple MacPro 2.1
- Apple MacPro 3.1
- Apple xServe 2.1
- Apple xServe 3.1
- Apple Powerbook G3
- Apple Powerbook G4 (2x)
- Apple MacBook
- Apple MacBook Pro (2x)
- Apple eMac
- Apple iMac G3
- Apple iMac G5
- Apple iMac 2008 (2x)
- Apple iMac 2010 27 inch
- Apple iMac 2011 21 inch
- Apple MacMini 2011

- ZX Spectrum 48k (I have/had more of them, no clue were they are)
- Sinclair QL

Oh yes the Apple Newton and Apple eMate 300, I almost forgot, ooh and the Atari Portfolio, ooh I almost forgot, an original IBM PC with 8088 and CGA color monitor.

For the rest an Arduino board, some Raspberry Pi's (2 and 4) and some Cypress PSoc's

That's it.

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 10/10/2020 at 8:15 PM, Yuki said:

I've got a Commodore 64 (with its 1541, but the cable's missing, anyone?) and an Apple ][c around here. Also a Mac Performa 6200CD I should repair one of these days.

You can still buy them online.

3 minutes ago, panzerfaustnl said:

You can still buy them online.

Of course, I gotta have to look at that. Preferably from a seller that doesn't cost too much for shipping.

27 minutes ago, SlithyMatt said:

Oh is that all? 😉

ooh I forgot my playstation (1,3,4) and xbox (original, 360) game consoles. And my Playstation handhelds.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, desertfish said:

You must live in a Tardis to be able to store that many things 🙂  Are they all connected/working?

No, most of them are working, but some of my earlier mac's need recapping, same with 2 of my Atari ST's. The most are stored, but so that I can take them when I want.

D3B65649-612E-4D12-9076-1CA459BAFBA6.jpeg

Edited by panzerfaustnl
  • Like 1

Nice man, impressive. I used to have a breadbin C64 then a C64-ii then an Amiga500 and finally an A4000 but these have all been sold off back in the day to get some money back for poor kid me to purchase the next upgrade

• Like 1

None, can you imagine... I started on an XT clone, never had a home computer unfortunately. I still have the case, monitor and parts of that clone, but it hasn't been assembled in many, many years, unfortunately...

• Like 2

On 10/9/2020 at 8:12 AM, John Chow Seymour said:

Hahaha! That's too funny.  Sorry, I'm the jerk who put it up from $125 to $150 at the last minute (and still lost). Many apologies, my friend. Please do let us know if it works.

Works = 'no'.  It almost works but almost doesn't do it.  Listing said something about 'no way to test it' so sold as non-working.  Well, it powers up but has crap on the screen; F1 dumps the 'release the apps' sys into the kbd buffer but it just shifts case and locks when I try that.  After reset, it sometimes dumps into monitor.

I pulled and reseated the socketed ICs / ROMs to find to somebody previously pulled the 8360 and dropped it back in with a bent pin.  Of course, it was issues that caused it to fail in the first place, likely; not the bent pin.  I managed to get it back in there in one piece, same issue.

Bought a pair of ICs supposedly tested/NOS from Europe just now. Will see if this brings any joy in a few weeks.  It sure does look nice though, was impeccably packed, and clean, books and the RF modulator (hmmm)...

If only it was a Pet, I could get replacement ICs and burn new ROMs, if needed.  Hence the custom chip dilemma.  CBM wanted to cut costs to make it $99 for the consumer and bump off Emile Sinclair or whatever his name was; CBM post-Tramiel marketing thought $299 was the nice price.  36 years later -> "no user serviceable parts inside" rings true.

If the Plus/4 were beloved, somebody would [in the future] make an FPGA 8360 or CPU.  

Instead, this might be the most attractive book end of all time, time will tell.

(if only I could go back in time; "back in '82"... I mean '84, my 18 yr. old white collar crime self would have bought 5 plus/4s from Toys 'R' Us; pulled all of the ICs and returned them as non-working to give to my future self.  I know I know! ... I'm better now.)

• Like 1