Matej

What 8bit / 16bit / workstation do You own?

i had both a NES, SNES and a genesis. i no longer have them though when i moved away from my childhood home we left that stuff there. however when i unpacked i found a zelda cart not sure why it got packed since i didn't bring the system. 

• Like 1

I have "complete" working setups for Commodore 64, and Apple IIe.

- Commodore 64 Breadbin I have on display in my living room with a Commodore 1702 monitor, Joysticks, and cartridges. I also have a 64C, C2N datasettes, 1541 and 1571 Disk drives, and a mountain of copied floppies I get thrown in with a used lot I bought a while ago.  

- Apple IIe, 2 Disk Drive II drives (I couldnt find a better way to write that), a good variety of disks - many originals - number munchers anyone? Also a joystick that needs repair, and a printer I've never tested.

I have a TI-99/4A, and a sampling of DOS/Windows Laptops:

- IBM Thinkpad 350 (1993) - DOS/Windows 3.11

- Compaq LTE 286 (1989) - doesn't really work

- IBM Thinkpad 600E (1998) Windows 98/2000

An Apple PowerBook G3 (Pismo) that I turned into a digital picture frame like 10 years ago.

I also have old nintendo stuff, which I LOVE, but it's less interesting to me from a collecting standpoint, and a pile of early Macbooks that won't get interesting for a few more years.

I'm hoping to get into the Atari 8-bit line soon.

image.png

• Like 3

I've got a C64, and a power supply and video cable for it, but that's it for retro stuff. Don't even have any storage for it yet :<

On 10/18/2020 at 11:19 PM, EMwhite said:

Works = 'no'.  It almost works but almost doesn't do it.  Listing said something about 'no way to test it' so sold as non-working.  Well, it powers up but has crap on the screen; F1 dumps the 'release the apps' sys into the kbd buffer but it just shifts case and locks when I try that.  After reset, it sometimes dumps into monitor.

I pulled and reseated the socketed ICs / ROMs to find to somebody previously pulled the 8360 and dropped it back in with a bent pin.  Of course, it was issues that caused it to fail in the first place, likely; not the bent pin.  I managed to get it back in there in one piece, same issue.

Bought a pair of ICs supposedly tested/NOS from Europe just now. Will see if this brings any joy in a few weeks.  It sure does look nice though, was impeccably packed, and clean, books and the RF modulator (hmmm)...

If only it was a Pet, I could get replacement ICs and burn new ROMs, if needed.  Hence the custom chip dilemma.  CBM wanted to cut costs to make it $99 for the consumer and bump off Emile Sinclair or whatever his name was; CBM post-Tramiel marketing thought $299 was the nice price.  36 years later -> "no user serviceable parts inside" rings true.

If the Plus/4 were beloved, somebody would [in the future] make an FPGA 8360 or CPU.  

Instead, this might be the most attractive book end of all time, time will tell.

(if only I could go back in time; "back in '82"... I mean '84, my 18 yr. old white collar crime self would have bought 5 plus/4s from Toys 'R' Us; pulled all of the ICs and returned them as non-working to give to my future self.  I know I know! ... I'm better now.)

the suspense is killing me. were you able to get it working?

1 hour ago, markboston36 said:

the suspense is killing me. were you able to get it working?

It's killing me too.  Unreliable-tracking.com says it was transferred from Royal Mail to USPS.  Guessing another week until I get them.  Of course there is a chance that it's a RAM problem or something else but I rolled the dice on this pair of TEDs.  I also just bought a C16 from Hungary board minus the TED and CPU.  And I was wrong about my comment above, there are a few maniacs out there that retrofit a C16 (specifically) [Adrian's Basement] with a 6502 and other videos that address the TED problems.  That's next.

I've got a Firepower Pinball machine (80's) that I'm restoring, working full time, and taking a Python class so this is just another project running in time-sliced fashion but I'm eager to get it working.  The Plus 4 is a nice piece of history and I'm proud to own one despite it being a massive loss for Commodore back in the day.

Maybe another week or two.  Will inform.

• Like 2

Apple
Apply //c I bought new in 1984 - fully working, including the lovely green screen monitor
Apple //c my inlaws bought in 1985 - fully working, including the RGB monitor
A pair of Apple ][+; I know one works, I haven't tried the other (yet)
Apple //e - needs keyboard repair, at the very least
I had a //gs, but I gave it away to someone who will better appreciate it

Radio Shack
Model 102
A pair of Model 4s; one NGA, one GA - the GA model is almost immaculate and still has the factory warranty seal intact. Sadly, I need to break that seal so I can fix drive 1.
A pair of Model 1s, one of which works, one of which does not. I also have a working EI, as well as an EI board that doesn't work.
I'm on the hunt for a Model III that's in reasonably good shape.

The fun thing about the TRS-80 line is the FreHD, which is a hard drive emulator that uses an SD card. Makes it super easy to get software for the systems, if you have the boot ROM installed.

On 10/30/2020 at 1:03 AM, EMwhite said:

It's killing me too.  Unreliable-tracking.com says it was transferred from Royal Mail to USPS.  Guessing another week until I get them.  Of course there is a chance that it's a RAM problem or something else but I rolled the dice on this pair of TEDs.  I also just bought a C16 from Hungary board minus the TED and CPU.  And I was wrong about my comment above, there are a few maniacs out there that retrofit a C16 (specifically) [Adrian's Basement] with a 6502 and other videos that address the TED problems.  That's next.

I've got a Firepower Pinball machine (80's) that I'm restoring, working full time, and taking a Python class so this is just another project running in time-sliced fashion but I'm eager to get it working.  The Plus 4 is a nice piece of history and I'm proud to own one despite it being a massive loss for Commodore back in the day.

Maybe another week or two.  Will inform.

C16 arrived from Hungary.  One good thing, one not so good. 

The good is that it actually works; taking the TED and CPU from the +4 (which you can see in the background), the Commodore 16 actually powered up.  The not-so-good news is that as received it did not work, despite the listing saying that it did.  I think this was made in Germany back in the day but maybe it was South America; I'd have to check into the history.

I can tell by examining the board that majority of the components were wave soldered or something consistent and high quality.  But a number of components like jacks, switches and few parts here and there are faulty/corroded and had to be carefully removed (probably hand soldered, during assembly).  You'll note in the pic below, I've soldered a .156 header between two board points.

I've also ordered one of the dead-test carts which I will use to further troubleshoot the +4.  Still no TED chips; still en route.  If I had to guess, I've got an address line issue on the +4 or a ram problem.  Was walking my 11 yr. old through a bit map graphics demo on the +4 and noticed a seemingly random (but probably repeating) pattern of random bits/pixels on.  More later.

1945045109_ScreenShot2020-11-08at2_14_34PM.thumb.png.958ba2a338ab59a86a023e8c01e4e504.png

IMG_6584.thumb.jpg.ca7349ff048ae9f61af696b15c33764c.jpg

• Like 1