Sign in to follow this  
SlithyMatt

New community dev tool uploaded: XCI: eXtremely Compact Interpreter

XCI: eXtremely Compact Interpreter

View File

XCI is a graphical adventure game engine for the Commander X16. It is inspired by past engines such as SCI and SCUMM, but designed to maximize the potential of the X16 and keep the games just small enough to run, and allow developers to create games without having to program in BASIC or Assembly.

Learn more about XCI on the official GitHub page: https://github.com/SlithyMatt/x16-xci

There you will find all the source code, documentation, and example code and templates.

There is also a tutorial series currently in production on YouTube: 

In the downloadable ZIP file you will find the engine executable binary for the X16 (XCI.PRG) and two embedded archives of the Windows and Linux software development kits (xci.exe). The SDK is written in standard C and can be compiled to pretty much any modern platform, including Mac and Raspberry Pi.

Stay up to date by watching the GitHub, and occasional builds will also be uploaded here.

• Like 5

Posted (edited)

Quick update to the last video, giving a better demonstration of the music now that screencasting is working on my new computer.

Edited by SlithyMatt
forgot link!
  • Like 2

XCI now has an official logo, as you can see in the updated thumbnail, as well as this animation demo:

xci_logo.gif

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for sharing this! I have started watching the tutorials , for someone like me who would like to create something but has very little knowledge of BASIC and none at all of assembly language this is an ideal solution 🙂

To help make the creation of sprites a little easier I've made a little sprite editor in excel, you put the values in the grid and using the palette you've defined it shows you what the sprite will look like. I've used your sprite from the example game as an example 🙂 

image.thumb.png.d7a2ba06d4f522500e1e4df3506d2c02.png

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1qo2sMf3W6AlYdl5eMp5xlsAgIwYAgEZo/view?usp=sharing

• Like 3

A huge shout-out to @Jestin for making this vim plugin for XCI: https://github.com/jestin

Not only will it do syntax highlighting like my Atom package, it will also do coloring of pixel-nibbles in sprite and tile hex files:

unknown.png

I never expected to create a language for 8-bit development in the 21st century, much less have people start developing tools for it! 

• Like 1

It was a fun exercise.  If I have time, I'd like to expand it in two ways:

1. Add code to do a "best guess" approximation of colors from the palette.  Right now it's just my own fiddling with terminal colors
  2. Add a command to set the colors from one of XCI's palette files

Full link:  https://github.com/jestin/vim-xci

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Jestin said:
  2. Add a command to set the colors from one of XCI's palette files

Easy enough to do. Just have to search for an XCI File with a "palette" key and then you have the path to the palette hex file, and you will have the 12 bit color values for the primary palette offset. 

The first is what's really required to do the second.  Other than gVim, vim can only specify codes for terminal colors, so your palette within vim is completely dependent on the terminal it's running in.  There are some vim plugins out there (mostly syntax highlighters that attempt to do the same thing with CSS hex codes) that do a best guess approximation for the terminal.  When looking into it a few weeks ago, this seemed like the best option.  I just haven't had the time to dive into it yet.

• Like 1

Really neat - Definitely will keep my eye on this. Please continue supporting it with updates, tutorials, and workflow videos and documents.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Starsickle said:

Really neat - Definitely will keep my eye on this. Please continue supporting it with updates, tutorials, and workflow videos and documents.

Oh, I will! Especially since my first commercial game for the X16 is being built with XCI: