Uberlinc

Basic file loads

Hi,

This might seem like a silly question, and I've searched many websites (including YouTube etc) to find the answer but I've found no clear, simple answer.

Apologies if this has been asked before.

I have the X16 emulator installed.

I downloaded the "Invaderz" program.

So, according to standard Commodore commands, you type: LOAD"PROGRAMNAME.PRG"

However, it can't seem to find it.

I have my emulator sitting under C:\Program Files.

Where is the best place to place it?
Where is the best place to keep your stash of programs relative to the emulator?

When you type "LOAD", how do you specify relative location of the program file?

I even tried placing a copy of "INVADERZ.PRG" into the emulator directory itself.

Is there a Dummies' Guide explaining this?

Can anyone point me to this?

Thanks.

• Like 1

You need to add the emulator executable directory to your path, then you can call it anywhere. Go into your Settings and search for "Environment Variables". In there is the PATH variable, and you can just add that directory to the list that comes up.

I am using Windows 10 Pro, I have the x16 Emulator in a folder at C:\x16, and I have game files in a folder at C:\x16\games. I have don't have any past experience with a C64 or with the x16 Emulator. I have gotten some games to load into x16, such as Crazy Snakes, but I have not been able to get Chase Vault to load. Could I get a newbie walkthrough on how to get Chase Vault to load in the x16 Emulator? Thanks

Edited by William

8 hours ago, William said:

I am using Windows 10 Pro, I have the x16 Emulator in a folder at C:\x16, and I have game files in a folder at C:\x16\games. I have don't have any past experience with a C64 or with the x16 Emulator. I have gotten some games to load into x16, such as Crazy Snakes, but I have not been able to get Chase Vault to load. Could I get a newbie walkthrough on how to get Chase Vault to load in the x16 Emulator? Thanks

If you download the ZIP file from here, or get the release build from GitHub, just make sure that CHASVALT.PRG and all the .BIN files are in the same directory, then launch the emulator from that very directory. To make it run immediately, you can just do that from the command line:

x16emu -prg CHASVALT.PRG -run

But you could just run the emulator without argument, and just load and run it from inside the emulator:

LOAD"CHASVALT.PRG"

RUN

All of this guidance is also available, including a list of all the .BIN files in the repo's README: https://github.com/SlithyMatt/x16-chasevault