geek504

glibc 2.29 required

Question

Posted (edited)

I am temporarily running development in a Linux box using Debian 10 (Buster). The Linux download file for X16 r38 is dynamically linked to libc 2.29 while Buster has 2.28 and no view in sight for a future libc update. I also do not want to venture into the messy multiple libcs franken-debians. Perhaps the developers could statically compile the binary? Note: Ubuntu seems to have 2.29 but not Debian yet.

I'm going to compile my own BUT perhaps for future Linux users it would help.

Is there a way to run x16 without sound? I don't need sound right now and it complains that it needs ALSA etc.

Edited by geek504

5 answers to this question

I have done the following:

sudo modprobe snd-dummy ; sudo modprobe-snd-pcm-oss; sudo modprobe snd-mixer-oss; sudo modprobe snd-seq-oss

After that x16emu -sound shows:

The following sound output devices are available:
    Dummy, Dummy PCM

I can then run x16emu -sound "Dummy, Dummy PCM"

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, geek504 said:

Is there a way to run x16 without sound?

I would also like to know if it is possible to run the emu without sound enabled? At the moment I install the alsa-dummy module to get the emulator to run in a VM without sound hardware.

12 minutes ago, JimmyDansbo said:

I would also like to know if it is possible to run the emu without sound enabled? At the moment I install the alsa-dummy module to get the emulator to run in a VM without sound hardware.

I got the alsa-dummy module loaded and alsamixer shows it as an option... but I can't seem to get

./x16 -sound <OPTION>

option to work... it just outputs a list of sound options but I can't choose "Dummy".

A PPA building for several versions of Ubuntu and Debian would certainly be useful, but it's been a while I tried building .deb packages. Maybe if I have the time. Meanwhile, there is a Snap package out there, I think.

8 hours ago, JimmyDansbo said:

x16emu -sound "Dummy, Dummy PCM"

Wow, I have to explicitly write the entire "device name", how quaint... but it works!

• Like 1