Johan Kårlin

New game uploaded: Rally Speedway 2020

Rally Speedway 2020

View File

This is a topdown racing game. If you ever played Rally Speedway for Commodore 64 or Atari, it will feel familiar. I consider it a late sequel, somewhat improved actually and hopefully still fun.

Starting the game:

All game files should be in the same directory. Depending of how many game controllers you have, this is how you start the X16 emulator:

• No controllers: Just start the emulator and use the following keys: Ctrl - Button A, Alt - Button B, Enter - START, Cursor Keys - UP, DOWN, LEFT, RIGHT. Naturally, you can just play in one-player-mode.
  • One controller: Start the emulator with -joy2 SNES (or "NES", depending on you controller type). Player 1 will use the keyboard and player 2 the game controller.
  • Two controllers: Start the emulator with -joy1 SNES/NES -joy2 SNES/NES.

For example if you have two SNES controllers and want to load and run the game immediately: "x16emu -joy1 SNES -joy2 SNES -prg rallyspeedway.prg -run"

Controls

• Up - Start the race when cars are in position
  • A Button - Brake (the cars will accelerate to maximum speed automatically)
  • B Button - Return to menu when race is finished
  • Start Button - Pause game

Further instructions

This is an open world racing game. For every track there is a certain distance you have to drive. When you have driven the given distance, you are ready to cross any finish line you happen to find. Remaining distance is displayed in the bottom corner of the screen.

Most of the time you will probably just drive the default route by following the road and continue straight ahead in every crossing if there isn't an arrow to point you in a certain direction. But you can also find your own way. Just remember that every time you crash or get too far away from the other car, the race will pause and you will be brought back to the default route.

For every crash a penalty of one second is added to your time. This is also the case if you are outdistanced by the other player. You can only be outdistanced as long as the other player is on the road and driving the standard route.

• Like 5

Looks great. Unfortunately it isn't working with the Try It Now button on the website. It may be to do with the location of the bin files. Give it a test and see what you think.

I believe it is because the assets needs to be renamed to use all capital letters. 

At least, that solved it when I downloaded the game to try it out 🙂

• Like 1

Thanks for noticing! I changed the filenames of the binary files to capital letters. It doesn't seem to work anyway with online emulator. Now I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the emulator has cached the old version? Anyway, glad to see that my error handling works fine : ).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Johan Kårlin said:

Thanks for noticing! I changed the filenames of the binary files to capital letters. It doesn't seem to work anyway with online emulator. Now I don't know what the problem is. Maybe the emulator has cached the old version? Anyway, glad to see that my error handling works fine : ).

There is 2 things to make it work, I struggled with this, too:

1. Binary Files (and PRG file) have to be in upper case letters - this you have done

2. when you load the files in the source code the filename needs to be in lowercase:

With cc65 it looks like this:

result = vload_host("bg-sky.bin"MAIN_SCREEN_BMP_ADDR);

Don't know how it should be in acme.

Edited by AndyMt
  • Like 1

Nice work!  I spent the last 30 minutes "just seeing what this looks like".  Nothing speaks better of a game than people getting sucked into playing it without intending to.

• Like 1

There is 2 things to make it work, I struggled with this, too:
1. Binary Files (and PRG file) have to be in upper case letters - this you have done
2. when you load the files in the source code the filename needs to be in lowercase:
With cc65 it looks like this:
result = vload_host("bg-sky.bin"MAIN_SCREEN_BMP_ADDR); Don't know how it should be in acme.

Thanks for your help, really appreciate it. I will try to sort things out during the day. I realize that I must once for all get a grip on this.

This was not very easy to solve. On my computer upper case or lower case doesn't make any difference, it just works, so I have to upload a new version every time I want to try a new combination. Anyone using ACME that have uploaded a program that loads a binary file? How did you make it work?

I have not done it personally, but my best bet is:

• Use !pet instead of !raw and only use lowercase letter in the names in the source code
  • Ensure all your .bin files are all capital letters (i.e. TILES.BIN ...)

It has something to do with the way acme converts ascii to petscii.

When you use the !pet keyword, acme will subtract 32 from all bytes, meaning that 'a' ascii val 97 becomes 'A' ascii and petscii val 65.

Next issue is that mac and linux (and the web emulator) are case sensitive so all your filenames need to use capital letters in order for your program to load them.

@JimmyDansbo, @Perifractic, @AndyMt

I finally solved the issue with the online emulator. Now you can play the game online with the "Try it now"-button.

It was really the most logic solution. I use the "!text" directive in my ACME source code. Filenames in capital letters both in source code and on disk. But I still have trouble understanding all differences between !text, !pet, !scr and !raw. It doesn't get any easier when Windows isn't case sensitive but Linux is.

Edited by Johan Kårlin
  • Like 2

ah I see, nothing goes without saying which speed (or just assume it was fast) ... 🙃 t'was medium in my case above, need to try fast as well.

Edit, I tried

31.00.png

Edited by kliepatsch

To all who happen to test the game, welcome with your opinions. Should the speed alternatives be slower or maybe faster? Anything else?

I am thinking of making the curves narrower, not to make it harder but I have noticed that you don’t benefit from the extra “skidding space”. It would also reduce the number of building blocks (128x128 pixels) needed to build the tracks.

wow this looks impressive, have skidded around a bit in the in browser version but was struggling with the controls there.  Scrolling is awesomely done and the rotating race car looks cool as well with detailed rotation going on!

Thanks for you encouraging words! I think it's harder to play with keyboard than a game controller. There are 17 car sprites but they were easily done by just rotating one horizontal drawn sprite in paint.net... The scrolling on the other hand is advanced. I use a 32x32 tilemap that I constantly change to create tracks that are 256x256 tiles : ).

I am working on the very last things before releasing version 1.0. I wonder if there is some native English speaker that can spare a few minutes to check the language? It’s not much to check, a start screen, a menu with a leaderboard and a board presenting the result when a race is over. (I have noticed that the game can go directly to the menu when started with the web emulator, but there is a screen dump showing the start screen.)

Edited by Johan Kårlin

Native English speaker here.  It looks OK to me, English-wise 🙂  The only comment I have is I've run in to a bug a couple times where I crash at the finish line, like it's treating it as if it were an obstacle.