I think it's a bad idea to let Ladyfractic eat the only one you have.

But seriously, I think it's a log-overdue step in the RPi evolution. It will definitely open up this cool little platform to a lot more people that don't like having to figure out what to do with an exposed PCB.

I need to replace my old Pi2, but my primary use case for that is a compact, low-power server, so I'll probably stick with the classic form factor for that.

But as a retro emulator, it can't be beat at that price point. MISTer is too expensive and complicated for mainstream adoption, while this looks like a nice sweet spot. Just plug it into your TV like an old 8-bit home computer.

• Like 3

I'm intrigued. I'll admit that I still think the RPi4 feels underpowered with its default GUI and applications, but I think it's well-fit for learning to program and work with digital electronics, and certainly it's extremely impressive for its price point. I think the keyboard form factor is long-overdue for its application, and I think it's really cool. I want one, and I can just imagine the kind of trouble that several of my friends and I would have gotten into, had we had access to this kind of device.

• Like 1

Dude. It's a wedge form-factor. Tiny wedge to be sure, but my favorite computer form factor!

Thinking about buying one.

• Like 1

Nice video once again.   Your renders of the "original" colored versions is really awesome especially the black ones ZX and Amstrad I really dig those colors

also:     "weeeryy niiice!"     🙂   Just wached Borat Subsequent Moviefilm last weekend 😄

It would have been super duper awesome if the keyboard had a small touchpad on it as well so you don't have to connect a separate mouse.  Also, no analog audio headphones plug?  Is it audio-over-hdml only?  That's..... problematic if your monitor doesn't have speakers

I still want one!!   But I don't know what I'll do with it hahah!!   My old Pi 2 still works fine for the tiny projects I do with it

Edited by desertfish
  • Like 1

(1) Thank you for the review!

(2) It is CUTE.  I can totally see it for people who want a retropie, or who need a dedicated keyboard for an rPi and don't need total hardware compatibility (that was a thing, right?)

(3) It's not what I use a Pi for.  But... it's CUTE.  And maybe they are planning a next step in the Pi Revolution.

• Like 1

I've aways thought of putting a system inside a Unicomp Model-M. Wedge All-In-One's are awesome. The RPi 400 has the benefit of being more portable than toting around a battleship keyboard.
Nice little system. I will have to snag one.

• Like 1

Nice video once again.   Your renders of the "original" colored versions is really awesome especially the black ones ZX and Amstrad I really dig those colors

also:     "weeeryy niiice!"        Just wached Borat Subsequent Moviefilm last weekend

It would have been super duper awesome if the keyboard had a small touchpad on it as well so you don't have to connect a separate mouse.  Also, no analog audio headphones plug?  Is it audio-over-hdml only?  That's..... problematic if your monitor doesn't have speakers

I still want one!!   But I don't know what I'll do with it hahah!!   My old Pi 2 still works fine for the tiny projects I do with it

Thanks!

Yep it's audio over HDMI. Amazon do sell HDMI to composite/audio converters though so that's an option. Enjoy!

I just realized that it is also possible to plug an USB audio device in.    I don't have a usb headphones (but they exist) but I do have a USB DAC that in turn contains an analog plug.    The DAC is twice the price of the Pi400 though 😛

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, desertfish said:

I just realized that it is also possible to plug an USB audio device in.

Just be aware that there may not be a good driver for the device that works well with both it and Raspbian. Sound through HDMI or BlueTooth are the only sure things to work.

1 minute ago, SlithyMatt said:

Just be aware that there may not be a good driver for the device that works well with both it and Raspbian. Sound through HDMI or BlueTooth are the only sure things to work.

A lot of monitors have speakers or headphone out as well so you could use the audio over HDMI as an option. That's why we do on our Retro Pi in the living room. Works well.

• Like 1

I had no  idea this was even in the works. THIS is the kind of thing that excites me when it comes to computing! I was literally just looking at getting a Pi 4 to setup as a retro style computer, and then I see this.

As a late birthday gift to myself, I put my Pi 3 B+ into this MegaPi Case and have it running RetroPie, and I absolutely love it. So it has me in a "retro" mood.

megapi1.jpg.e19277de953942d02085675ca5b80576.jpg

Looks like the Pi 400 just made my x-mas list!

Also, love those retro inspired case renders in the video, those were amazing. Maybe someone will produce them at some point, or something similar.

So cool! Thanks for sharing!

Edit: Oh, and excellent video as always! 🙂

Edited by Strider
  • Like 4

2 minutes ago, Strider said:

I had no  idea this was even in the works. THIS is the kind of thing that excites me when it comes to computing! I was literally just looking at getting a Pi 4 to setup as a retro style computer, and then I see this.

As a late birthday gift to myself, I put my Pi 3 B+ into this MegaPi Case and have it running RetroPie, and I absolutely love it. So it has me in a "retro" mood.

megapi1.jpg.e19277de953942d02085675ca5b80576.jpg

Looks like the Pi 400 just made my x-mas list!

Also, love those retro inspired case renders in the video, those were amazing. Maybe someone will produce them at some point, or something similar.

So cool! Thanks for sharing! 🙂

That case is epic. I have the Super Nintendo version.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Strider said:

Ah I forgot to mention that as well.  I did really like the "retro renders".  I think I liked the Commodore ones the best of course.  But... I would be tempted by a Space Cadet-style keyboard... or perhaps one with odd, industrial color schemes and strangely-shaped asymmetric function keys or something.

Edited by rje
  • Like 2

Will buy it and install RiscOS. Its basically new Acorn Archimedes ;).

• Like 2

I think this is the case - and the motherboard - that the Raspberry Pi has deserved all along. Once it's actually in stock again, I plan to order one.

• Like 1

It does look pretty cool, and hopefully it's going to kickstart the good old hobbyistt keyboard computer form factor again. Might get one when I can.

• Like 1

On 11/3/2020 at 11:24 AM, mrdoornbos said:

That case is epic. I have the Super Nintendo version.

The main reason I went with the Sega version was the top door storage, and no cartridge storage for me to lose. I got the "GeeekPi" kit with carrying bag, heatsinks, and a fan. I really do like it a lot.

On 11/3/2020 at 2:27 PM, rje said:

Ah I forgot to mention that as well.  I did really like the "retro renders".  I think I liked the Commodore ones the best of course.  But... I would be tempted by a Space Cadet-style keyboard... or perhaps one with odd, industrial color schemes and strangely-shaped asymmetric function keys or something.

That Commodore 64 render looked so cool, as did the ZX Spectrum, I have always really liked the rainbow style logos used on so much tech back in the 80's. It's one reason I really like the X16's logo. 🙂

• Like 1

So when can we expect the all-in-one keyboard form-factor CX16? (Joking, joking... 😉 Unless of course lightning strikes and the crowdfunding goes completely, ridiculously bonkers, into the multiple millions. I'm expecting the CX16 to be worthwhile for everyone involved, but I'm not betting on winning the ultra-viral lottery.)

8 minutes ago, StephenHorn said:

So when can we expect the all-in-one keyboard form-factor CX16? (Joking, joking... 😉 Unless of course lightning strikes and the crowdfunding goes completely, ridiculously bonkers, into the multiple millions. I'm expecting the CX16 to be worthwhile for everyone involved, but I'm not betting on winning the ultra-viral lottery.)

I agree, that would be pretty cool.

It's an educated guess, but baring some unusual turn of events, the demand for the X16 won't be in the millions. I understand "TheC64" demand since it's a nostalgia thing, but the X16 is in a middle ground kinda place, like the Maximite, only with a "please no FPGAs except that one we couldn't work around" philosophy.  Antiquated development techniques on a platform that doesn't carry that nostalgia. I have a hard time seeing a HUGE demand after the initial early adopters have them.

I'm very bullish on making new games for the C64, NES, Amiga, and DOS though.

That being said, I want one. But I'm also a Commodore 64 kid. My brother is 10 years younger than I am and was alive in the 80s but not old enough to remember the 80s. He doesn't "get" the X16 at all.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, StephenHorn said:

So when can we expect the all-in-one keyboard form-factor CX16?

I'm quite sure some people will build themselves all-in-one versions once it's available. If we're lucky, someone might even start selling them, who knows.
A special case that can hold the mainboard and a stripped WASD keyboard does not seem too far-fetched to me.

OTOH, I like the hackability that the regular case offers, so I'm not sure which version I'd prefer. 🤔

Edited by Fnord42

I'm seriously wondering if you could not just modify/paint the case to match whatever theme you want.

You can have custom keycaps made in various styles. I wish I knew if the keyboard was a single sheet of material or individual keys.

I don't even have one and already thinking how I can mod it. :P