Strider

What "Modern" Games Do You Play?

So what modern games, if any,  do you like to currently play? Or what style of game? Remakes and remasters count! 🙂

Except for my little RetroPie, I only game on PC these days, no room for many consoles. Though my daughter has a Nintendo Switch, neat little console.

Most of what I play is easily visible on my Steam page, since I use it for 99% of my modern gaming. https://steamcommunity.com/id/trstrider/

My most liked games as of late have been ...

Ark: Survival Evolved, Doom, No Mans Sky, Serious Sam, Borderlands, and Farm Together. Every so often I play Battlefield 4, when I want a challenge.

Of course, there is a spattering of retro remakes and remasters that I love like Command & Conquer Remastered Collection, Crystal Caves HD, and Shadowgate.

I like to play a lot of cooperative titles with family. Loads of fun! 🙂

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

I've been recently going through the catalogue of Wadjet Eye Games - point and click games - Technobabylon, Shardlight, and the Blackwell Series.

Other than that, more current games I've been playing have been Skyrim and Ghosts of Tsushima, and I'm looking forward to getting a PS5, although I imagine it will be quite some time before I'll be able to get one (they sold out well before I managed to even look at pre-ordering one).

Also play a bit on a Picade, which I love.  Replaced the joystick and buttons with... hmm, I forget the brand, but they are excellent.

• Like 2

For a while now, the only time I can get myself to play games are with my friends.  So mostly just multiplayer things like Monster Hunter, GTA V, and more recently Phasmophobia.  We've played a lot of each Dark Souls as they came out.  We play WoW for a while each time a new expansion comes out.  Probably a lot of other things we played for a brief time that I can't think of right now.  The only single player games I can think of that I've played and beat recently are The Last Guardian, Black Mesa, and Inside.  I started Breath of the Wild but I still haven't beat it.

• Like 2

My big games these days are:

• Final Fantasy XIV
  • Overwatch
  • Genshin Impact

Occasionally, I'm playing Among Us when enough friends are able to coordinate a game. Good times.

I've enjoyed several creative sci-fi block-building survival games, but the two bigs ones are:

• Stationeers
  • Space Engineers

I haven't been much for consoles recently. I technically own a PS4, and it's basically a blu-ray player. PCMR4L, amirite? I have a Switch, though, and have greatly enjoyed Nintendo's Breath of the Wild, Ubisoft's StarfoxStarlink: Battle for Atlas, and Dragon Quest Builders.

I'll also buy faithful ports of Final Fantasy games pretty much all day, every day, every platform, every storefront, and S-E can basically just keep printing money for themselves that way as far as I'm concerned...

I've also previously enjoyed Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Fallout 4, and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. I expect I'll pickup Cyberpunk 2077 when it comes out.

Edited by StephenHorn
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, RetroCode said:

*snip*

Skyrim was such an amazing game. Funny thing, I have never played it through to the finish. Will do that one of these days. hah

My wife plays a lot of point and click games, she has more than I can count. I live the old school point and click type adventure games like Indiana Jones, Tex Murphy, Deja Vu, and Shadowgate.

15 hours ago, Ender said:

*snip*

I have been looking at Monster Hunter World a lot on Steam, but have yet to pull the trigger on it. Looks like a fun game, if it was coop, would like to play through it with my wife one day. It just looks like something we would enjoy.

My wife and I have played a lot of different MMORPG games together over the years, the most current were ESO Online and the now discontinued Maplestory 2.

Also, Black Mesa, EXCELLENT Half Life "remake". Love it!

15 hours ago, StephenHorn said:

*snip*

PCMR! 😛

I have been wonder if my wife and I would enjoy an MMOFPS together. I used to love them, but I am much more of a Battlefield type FPS player.

The Final Fantasy games are some of my favorites, but I have not completed any of them past the classic FF7. I have played that one through several times over the years. lol

We also technically own a PS3, it's never touched, currently buried under a pile of stuffed animals in my daughters room. lol

Fallout 4, currently playing through it. All the previous Fallout games, I have beat several times, love those games! Really wish they had native coop modes.

Lastly, been looking at DQ Builders on Steam as something my wife and I could play together, the only thing that's stopped me is price. Hate paying that much for something I am not sure we will like. I am a fan of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games in general, all the way back to the NES originals.

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Lastly, been looking at DQ Builders on Steam as something my wife and I could play together, the only thing that's stopped me is price. Hate paying that much for something I am not sure we will like. I am a fan of the Dragon Warrior/Quest games in general, all the way back to the NES originals.

Can't say that your experience will be the same but my wife -loved- Dragon Quest Builders 2.  She's never played a game before or since, and doesn't even really like technology let alone taking any interest in games, but while I was playing it one evening, she uttered the historic words "what's that you're playing?"  She's got completely addicted, and had to stop as it was affecting a course she was on... she's keen to go back to it when the course is finished.

It's irking that there isn't a couch co-op option for it - I could with play other friends, or even (in theory) strangers on it, but can't even play it with my partner... pretty daft really.

Anyway, we both love it.  I enjoyed playing it massively more than Minecraft, and the building aspect made the Dragon Quest story more enticing.  It's the only game I got a platinum on, and came back to play substantially more (to get the Buildoculars).

If you have a PS4 there's a massive demo - the first island - you can try, and the save will carry over to the full game if you decide you like it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Skyrim was such an amazing game. Funny thing, I have never played it through to the finish. Will do that one of these days. hah

Me neither.  Actually I didn't really get in to it at first, but played again with some graphic mods enabled, and although it disabled achievements, made it a little bit further in.

I have a list of games I "intend to finish" that's growing... Skyrim, Baldur's Gate, and Divinity: Original Sin II to name a few.  There isn't enough time in the day.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Johan Kårlin said:

I play Crossy Castle on Apple Arcade with my son almost every day. A truly great platformer! emoji4.png

I seem to be the only one in my family that truly enjoys platformer style games, my wife and kids have little to no interest in them. The closest I have been able to get my wife is a game called Maplestory, it's an MMORPG game, but it's an "old school" style side scrolling platformer. She's play it some, but she really cant get into it.

So I must platform alone. :P

All of our kids are grown and moved out, save for one, so I don't get to play many games with them at all anymore. Our youngest, who's still at home, rarely ever wants to play games with us. She plays mostly with her friends. :)

18 minutes ago, RetroCode said:

Me neither.  Actually I didn't really get in to it at first, but played again with some graphic mods enabled, and although it disabled achievements, made it a little bit further in.

I have a list of games I "intend to finish" that's growing... Skyrim, Baldur's Gate, and Divinity: Original Sin II to name a few.  There isn't enough time in the day.

I did the same with Skyrim, and my list of "intend to finish" games is also getting well beyond what I will ever have time to actually do. Sadly, as you said, there is just not enough time in the day.

We don't own a PS4, as we do 99% of our gaming on PC.

This is the one I have been looking at: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1072420/DRAGON_QUEST_BUILDERS_2/

At $60, sometimes $40 on sale, it's a big leap in the "hopes" we both like it. Kinda tough to justify. :P

Though, my wife and I truly do enjoy Minecraft!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, RetroCode said:

That also has the "Jumbo Demo" available, which is what I played on the PS4...

Have it installed. Just have to give it a try. I overlooked that option when I was on the page earlier. lol

• Like 1

Started in Spooktober I decided to replay several horror (or scary) games. Currently I am in the progress of playing the Dead Space series againon the PS3.   Am half way into DS2 now.

Before that I was playing the Witcher 3 but I put that on pause for a bit 🙂         If I want to relax or don't have much time I find myself coming back to a few levels of Tetris Effect on the PS4 as well

• Like 2

Civ VI is the only real modern game I still play. I used to be sucked into the whole MMORPG genre for years and have left, as it's all gone Asian-Easy-Mode pay-to-play with lockboxes, microtransactions, and no story.

I've recently moved off of Windows and have adopted Linux. The Bad and the Good?: Fewer games and a target rich environment for game developers. Same with any platform that gains popularity.

• Like 2

On 11/8/2020 at 11:34 AM, Strider said:

At last, another DQ fan! Man that's a rare sight these days. When I talk about DQ I always meet with eyes full of questions from those unaware and eyes full of judgment from those who know what this series is. DQ is one of the greatest jrpg series out there, especially up to five in my opinion, although the monsters games were pretty good too. I looked at the gameplay of DQ builders and I was a bit disappointed tbh. I can do all of that in Minetest for free with actual crafting and building with simulated lego blocks... not to mention many are already on minecraft. I like the concept of "what happens if the player accepts King Dragon's offer" at the end of DQ I, but I don't think that style of game suits best that idea.

BTW, if you're into game medals/trophies/achievements/etc, you may want to check out retroachievements.org which has achievements for all DW/DQ games on both NES and SNES. BTW relevant to DQ Builders haha: https://retroachievements.org/achievement/79698

• Like 2

I'm currently playing through The Outer Wilds and I absolutely love it. No combat, all exploration.  You travel around a tiny solar system in your wooden spaceship, and try to find out how to save your species from an exploding sun.  The spaceship and jetpack controls take some getting used to, and the environment can kill you until you get used to it, but that's part of the fun. 

I like puzzle games, so some of my favorite games of the past decade include The Witness and English Country Tune.  But The Outer Wilds doesn't have discrete puzzles, it's not like you ever have to solve a puzzle to unlock a door.  It's more like, the whole solar system is a giant puzzle you have to figure out by looking around everywhere and learning about the world's backstory.  It's just such a polished, well put-together game.  I'm playing it on PC but I think it's also on some consoles.

• Like 1

On 11/8/2020 at 5:37 PM, desertfish said:

*snip*

There are a lot of horror based games I like, including Dead Space, that was a great game. My all time favorites being the Resident Evil series, follow by just about anything with zombies. The most modern being the Dead Island Remasters and Dying Light.

On 11/12/2020 at 5:01 PM, Matej said:

Entropia Universe scifi MMORPG

I have not heard of that one. The last MMORPG I played was Maplestory 2 with my family (before it shutdown). But we have played others and may go back to a few, mainly Elder Scrolls Online. My wife really likes them.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:05 PM, Cyber said:

Heroes of War and Money (Lords of War and Money) - online game based on Heroes of Might and Magic V
https://www.lordswm.com/

I used to love the Might and Magic series, but have not played anything recent. We're talking 80's and 90's, (DOS, Sega, TG-16, etc.). I sort of moved away from modern "turn based" games in general.

On 11/12/2020 at 11:08 PM, codewar65 said:

*snip*

While I enjoy city builders and sim style games, I have never played anything in the Civ series. Again, a style of game I have moved away from in recent years, mainly due to time constraints.

The pay-to-play/win micro-transaction model used by so many MMO's these days always bothers me. It always has to some degree, but over the past several years it has pushed me much further out of the genre. 

If it was not for my gaming and love of Direct X, I would have moved to Linux long ago. I simply have no desire to give up my game library and dev/driver support. It's enough of an issues on Windows a lot of times, let alone an OS most mainstream devs seem to not take seriously, and I wish they would. Leaving Windows behind would make me a happy man, I have run dual boot (Win & Ubuntu) many times, though right now I am not doing so.

On 11/13/2020 at 3:08 AM, AndyMt said:

Hah, I own it, wanted it so bad, but have NEVER actually sat down and played it. I really wish there were more hours in the day.... lol

19 hours ago, Doigt said:

*snip*

Many people say their favorite RPG games of old were titles like Zelda or Final Fantasy, it was Dragon Warrior for me. Yes, I loved the Zelda and the FF games, but DW/DQ are what I really enjoyed, and still do.

I have now tried DQ Builders, via their demo on Steam, and it looks like something my wife and I might be able to enjoy, maybe ... it's all about how much time we have. The building is a bit weird, you can tell it was made for console style controls (and I only play on PC these days), but I like the stories. So I am still on the fence about it, especially at the $60 price tag, or even $30/$40 on sale. Maybe one day we will take the plunge.

I have seen Retro Achievements before, but yet again, not enough time to really peruse things like that. The story of my life, never enough time. lol

12 hours ago, John Chow Seymour said:

*snip*

I used to enjoy games like that as well, exploration and puzzles, I loved "Mist" back when it came out. The most recent game in that genre I played was "Lifeless Planet". A very cool game with a cool story in my opinion. Just wish it was a bit longer or more difficult, I completed it in just over 4 hours.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/261530/Lifeless_Planet_Premier_Edition/

I know I am sounding like a broken record, but I have far too many games to play (or at least try), then I have time available to me. So most of the "new" games I am trying or playing are those in franchises I already know and enjoy, ones I play with my family, and indie-retro style games like 198x, Odallus The Dark Call, Oniken, SanctuaryRPG, Bloodstained, and River City Ransom Underground (just to name a few). You see a theme there? haha

:)

10 hours ago, Strider said:

...Bloodstained...

I can vouch for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I know some people were put off by the odd-looking 3D, but honestly I got used to it after about 20 minutes, and the game is a blast.  Castle-not-legally-Vania is fun to explore and the level design and enemy placement are excellent and encourage creative use of the different weapon types.

And, of interest in this forum, their little retro game Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon was surprisingly well put together as well.  Retro fans should check that out.  Would love to see a platformer like that on the X16.

• Like 1

On 11/17/2020 at 7:12 AM, John Chow Seymour said:

I can vouch for Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night. I know some people were put off by the odd-looking 3D, but honestly I got used to it after about 20 minutes, and the game is a blast.  Castle-not-legally-Vania is fun to explore and the level design and enemy placement are excellent and encourage creative use of the different weapon types.

And, of interest in this forum, their little retro game Bloodstained: Curse of the Moon was surprisingly well put together as well.  Retro fans should check that out.  Would love to see a platformer like that on the X16.

Yeah, Curse of the Moon is the one I own and like, I haven't tried Ritual of the Night as of yet. I have it wish-listed (I think), I am always looking for those lovely Steam sales. Their "Black Friday" one should start next week. 🙂

I also agree, I would love to see some Metroid-Vania style games on the X16. What initially peaked my interest in Bloodstained and Odallus The Dark Call were the fact they were of that style and genre. I am a huge fan of the original (NES/SNES) Castelvania and Metroid games. Heck, even a Megaman style platformer would be cool.

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

@Strider Well Entropia Universe is real cash economy mmo. You can exchange game currency to usd. Its like Oasis from ReadyPlayerOne.