What "Modern" Games Do You Play?

Strider

On 11/28/2020 at 6:58 PM, Strider said:

I love the long running MMOs.

Of course, I don't have the time to invest in such a game

Star Wars: The Old Republic may be of interest to you, you can play 8 well-written class stories plus 2 expansions for free, and solo, so you can dip in and out as you desire.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Recently started Shenzen IO from Zachtronics after finishing Exapunks. I love the "print your own feelies" approach they have.

http://www.zachtronics.com/shenzhen-io/

Also have Wasteland 3 still lying her. I made a bare map for WL3 from the resource files in 8-bit style and plan to fill it in over the course of my play.

And the third of the new Shadowrun games (Hong Kong). I stopped chasing the high framerate hungry kind of games a few years ago which made upgrading my PC so much cheaper :-)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/12/2020 at 4:27 PM, Ffin72 said:

Star Wars: The Old Republic may be of interest to you, you can play 8 well-written class stories plus 2 expansions for free, and solo, so you can dip in and out as you desire.

I have looked at it several times, seeing as I am a huge Star Wars fan. May have to check it out again. 🙂

Though recently, I have been playing a lot more "retro" games than anything else. Now that I have my Raspberry Pi (RetroPie) setup and configured how I want it, I got all the controllers I want, I have spent more time on that than my actual desktop PC. lol

On 2/8/2021 at 12:51 PM, Falken said:

Isn't that the one where a community patched a lot of cut content back in?

I think that was the single player "Knights of the Old Republic" game... but I may be mistaken. I know there are unofficial community patches for that one. 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

I play Animal Crossing New Horizons daily (10-15 minutes a day). Played all the versions since Gamecube. Started playing the game back in the day because I read it was similar to Little Computer People...

And the masterpiece that is The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild on the weekends. What a wonderful game.

Not much other than that. Maybe I fire OpenEmu from time to time on my Mac if I want to play some old arcade, or old game...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Minecraft, Counter-Strike, Gold Miner, Danganronpa 2, some Sonic games (which isn't '06), Kantai Collection, KAMIKO, some Neptunia games (Re;Birth ones), Guitar Hero and Megapolis.

Edited by xanthrou
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

I recently picked up this viking survival game on Steam called "Valheim". An open, procedural generated world, survival game done proper. Very fun and very addictive.

It's still in early access, but this developer seems to genuinely care about their game and are working hard to make it as good as they can, a rarity these days in my humble opinion. They are doing so well in fact that it's sold something like 5 million copies and has a 96% Steam rating with over 150,000 reviews and counting. It's all well deserved, the game is insanely fun if you like this genre, and I do. Impressive for a game that was just released to Steam on Feb 2, 2021.

My wife and I have both been playing it a lot, fun but difficult, just how I like it! I have just under 50 hours into it as of this moment and I already feel like I got my $20 worth of enjoyment. 🙂 

Edited by Strider

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
Posted (edited)

So, I've been messing around in the Battlefield 2042 Beta (The BF series is the only modern online FPS I play), and one thing I love about this series is the weather. It actually effects the battlefield, now more so than ever!

Of course, I had to run and jump in it, get sucked up, and killed. Pure joy. haha

bf2042-1.jpg.6ab512f6798a60b33808237b42db8dbe.jpgbf2042-2.jpg.66d9e5511184ec0051cd3f6df992b91d.jpgbf2042-3.jpg.ccb9f5506d51b85a79c22ca0dbdf139d.jpgbf2042-4.jpg.6112e29994dd61344f3807f43b067fae.jpg

Edited by Strider

On 10/12/2021 at 8:36 PM, John Chow Seymour said:

In these pics, are you attempting to assassinate the tornado?

I was attempting to get to the tornado without being assassinated. 😜

I got shot 3 times before I finally made it to it and was able to get sucked up, deploy my chute, and go for a ride. lol

• Like 1

I wasted way too much of my life playing Star Wars Galaxies and other MMOs. All I play anymore is Guild Wars 2, because it is a nice combination of open-ended game play, fun character classes, decent story/lore. Overall, it's just a nice place to vegetate for a while. No Man's Sky, Stardew Valley, Terarria, SimCity 2000, Baldur's Gate, Icewind Dale, Torchlight II, and a whack of 8 bit/16 bit games get played from time to time as well.

But the most popular games I play are: Laundry, dishes, picking up after my children, and yard work. Love these old classics!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I hear ya on the laundry and dishes! That, and working, way too much. 🤣

I did my fair share of MMOs over the years. I only still play one from time to time, an old one called MapleStory. It's a platformer style MMORPG that's been around since the early 2000's, and my family plays it, so I play it with them.

I have looked at Guild Wars a lot over the years too, I just just never pulled the trigger on it. I am always looking for games my wife and I can play together, along with her brother and sometimes even her mom. Grandma plays MapleStory. lol

No Man's Sky is an awesome game! Still trying to get my wife to try it.

I also played the heck out of Stardew Valley, Terraria, and Torchlight 2.

Similarly, I do find myself mashing the buttons on a lot of old 8/16-bit titles lately. Just having a blast.

To be honest, I am all over the place, it depends on the day really. There are games I just always finding myself going back to, the Battlefield titles is one of them, as in Ark, the Command & Conquer series, and the Borderlands games.

I did come across a really fun little game called "Craft the World", it's better to look at it than me try to explain it. It's been out a while now (2014), but it's a lot of fun to play. I have over 160 hours into it and have played through it 3 or 4 times now. haha

https://store.steampowered.com/app/248390/Craft_The_World/

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

On 10/18/2021 at 4:42 PM, ZeroByte said:

Me, I'm playing through Metroid Dread a second time now that I've beaten it. I want a less-than-crappy clear time.

I do that a lot, go back and replay something I have completed, just to see if I can do better or find things I missed.

I have been messing around with the original Indiana Jones, Star Trek, and Tex Murphy point-and-click adventure games from yesteryear, even though I have played all of them before, there is a lot I missed back when I had originally went though them. I used to love those games. Also tried the remaster of Full Throttle and Monkey Island, and they were a blast to re-play.

One similar game I have replayed a lot over the years is Snatcher on the Sega CD, that game hooked me back when it was released. Love me a good cyberpunk adventure. 😆

Edited by Strider

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure whether you'd consider it as 'modern game', but I'm a big fan of Commandos (e.g. Behind Enemy Lines and Men of Courage). I started to like it during my study in the 90s but I also played it last year again.

Edited by Ju+Te

On 11/1/2021 at 8:50 PM, Ju+Te said:

I'm not sure whether you'd consider it as 'modern game', but I'm a big fan of Commandos (e.g. Behind Enemy Lines and Men of Courage). I started to like it during my study in the 90s but I also played it last year again.

My young colleagues at my work would call this game retro because it is so damn old. But for me it goes into modern era, so I'm with you. )

I recently played Ignition, Heroes IV and Lula: The Sexy Empire. I think all these games fall in same era with Commandos.

Few days ago I purchased a newer game -  GRIP (https://www.gog.com/game/grip), because I very much liked its trailer and screenshots. Its designs remind me of Megarace 2, which I played a lot. I did not played GRIP yet.