What "Modern" Games Do You Play?

Strider

@Ju+Te Commandos is a good series, and I definitely label it "modern". 😁

@Cyber Not sure about the others, but GRIP is a good one. I like the old school Wipeout game and those similar to it. I played the original one on the PlayStation, DOS, and Sega Saturn. That series is still going, but mostly on consoles, and I only do PC gaming these days. Still, one of my favorite racing series.

I have been playing through Serious Sam 4 and it's a blast, literally. It's one of the few FPS run-and-gun games where you spend more time pressing "S" than "W". Then I get to this guy near the end of the game... royal pain in the ... well ... you know. lol

Had to take a quick break before trying to bring him down. 🤣

20211106135848_1.jpg.89e574489d92705311277f82009ba7b5.jpg

• Administrators
On 11/6/2021 at 9:16 PM, Strider said:

I like the old school Wipeout game and those similar to it.

I never played any of Wipeout games, but judging by screenshots it looks similar to Hi-Octane, which I enjoyed and played a lot!

• Like 1

On 11/7/2021 at 12:11 AM, Cyber said:

I never played any of Wipeout games, but judging by screenshots it looks similar to Hi-Octane, which I enjoyed and played a lot!

Hi-Octane is a great racer too! I have it installed in DOSBox actually, along with Wipeout. I think one huge seller for me with Wipeout was the music, it really pulled me into the game. At the time I really liked "Electronica" style music, bands like Future Sound of London, Chemical Brothers, and others. That's the style they used in Wipeout, with my favorite being Wipeout XL/2097.

Seems like the past few months I have been gravitating towards Phasmophobia and Star Trek Online.  I have been kicking around the idea of finding a Star Wars Galaxy EMU server to jump into this winter.

My gaming habits are mild.  Most weeks between late Spring and early winter I maybe get in a couple hours per week is all.  Over winter in Wisconsin, I tend to jack that up to 10-15 hours per week.

• Like 1

I recently enjoyed playing through Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, a small 2D metroidvania title. In fact, I enjoyed it enough that I don't mind being a bit of a shill for the game, which is on sale on Steam for $4. That sale is an absolute steal, in my opinion. It's also available on other platforms, but doesn't appear to be discounted everywhere.

The fourth entry in the series, MRUM took me about 5 hours to clear, unassisted, getting the "true ending". The game has a bit of a "Dark Souls" feel to its difficulty, with limited health between save points and bosses requiring some amount of pattern identification to defeat, but I personally weigh it as feeling more like a metroidvania, especially once you acquire one of the items that can restore health with each enemy kill.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/

header.jpg?t=1592544719

Edited by StephenHorn
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 9:15 AM, TD Bauer said:

Seems like the past few months I have been gravitating towards Phasmophobia and Star Trek Online.  I have been kicking around the idea of finding a Star Wars Galaxy EMU server to jump into this winter.

My gaming habits are mild.  Most weeks between late Spring and early winter I maybe get in a couple hours per week is all.  Over winter in Wisconsin, I tend to jack that up to 10-15 hours per week.

I totally get the "winter in Wisconsin", since I live there myself.

My gaming habits are less mild, since I spend a lot of time playing games with family. Love to co-op!

On 11/8/2021 at 10:51 AM, StephenHorn said:

I recently enjoyed playing through Momodora: Reverie Under the Moonlight, a small 2D metroidvania title. In fact, I enjoyed it enough that I don't mind being a bit of a shill for the game, which is on sale on Steam for $4. That sale is an absolute steal, in my opinion. It's also available on other platforms, but doesn't appear to be discounted everywhere.

The fourth entry in the series, MRUM took me about 5 hours to clear, unassisted, getting the "true ending". The game has a bit of a "Dark Souls" feel to its difficulty, with limited health between save points and bosses requiring some amount of pattern identification to defeat, but I personally weigh it as feeling more like a metroidvania, especially once you acquire one of the items that can restore health with each enemy kill.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/428550/Momodora_Reverie_Under_The_Moonlight/

Just added it to my wishlist for the X-Mas sale. Love a good metroidvania series!

• Like 1

Just picked up a couple "Wipeout" style games to try on Fanatical, and a "retro" style racer, we will see how good they are.

Grip: https://store.steampowered.com/app/396900/GRIP_Combat_Racing/

Antigravitar: https://store.steampowered.com/app/621020/Antigraviator/

80's Overdrive: https://store.steampowered.com/app/1381440/80s_OVERDRIVE/

I got a couple others as well, just to fill the 5 games bundle, but these are the ones I wanted to try the most. 😆

Not bad for $2.99 I guess. Link: Nitro Bundle

• 1 month later...

Doom Eternal has some cool Easter Eggs in it. One such hidden gem of pure retro awesomeness, you can find 14 disks hidden around, and install the original Ultimate Doom on an old PC in your room on your "Fortress of Doom" ship.

You can play the entire Ultimate Doom game, from within Doom Eternal, on an old PC, on your spaceship. I love it!

Time to track them all down! Already found some vinyl! 😆

Love it when games pay tribute to their past.

20211219231748_1.thumb.jpg.0e9f77d53f000299096a133c1f375e5f.jpg

20211219231801_1.thumb.jpg.334bd2f515347faffd30d8229956dd6f.jpg

20211220005553_1.thumb.jpg.aad4e9b773d2ec3d10f65ba83b395ab2.jpg

20211220005602_1.thumb.jpg.3e9d9faebaa89775ccff120471719973.jpg

20211219223754_1.thumb.jpg.dd159baa57a6a8a9f9146da4ac238e03.jpg

FYI: The disks you track down also unlock original cheat codes for use in Doom Eternal. You can also unlock and play Doom II on that same retro PC in Doom Eternal by simply entering this code "FLYNNTAGGART". Unlocking Ultimate Doom is not required to unlock Doom II. Flynn Taggart is Doom Guy's name in the original Doom novels.

Edited by Strider
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/7/2020 at 9:26 PM, Strider said:

So what modern games, if any,  do you like to currently play? Or what style of game? Remakes and remasters count! 🙂

Except for my little RetroPie, I only game on PC these days, no room for many consoles. Though my daughter has a Nintendo Switch, neat little console.

Many different games, but my favorite from a style point is Cuphead that I play on my computer, car, xbox and switch.

Great, but difficult game! 😄

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Late to the game on this topic.  I prefer to use Linux for my gaming which is great cause wine is the best way to play old windows games haha. 

But I guess my favorite modern games I currently play are:

League of Legends (though I have to play it on my one windows PC)

Pathfinder Kingmaker

Software Inc (indie game that been in alpha for awhile about to be beta)

Loop hero

Railway Empire 

Omg I really don't play alit of modern games I almost typed quake 

Edited by hardrockhero
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...