Perifractic

First prototype mini keyboard

Very small update for you guys. First prototype PS/2 mini keyboard is in. 

Note: This is not representative of our colour scheme or keycap artwork. They used a default artwork but we'll be able to get more specific once the crowdfunding starts.

But the goal of this prototype is to test the new more ergonomic raised up keycaps and overall feel and design. You may remember our early prototype keys were flatter, more laptop like, and less nice to type on.

This feels REALLY good to type on, especially for a good value non-microswitch keyboard. Can't wait for you guys to be able to hold it in your hands. Well... under your fingers... You know what I mean.

(And of course the deluxe microswitch keyboard made and sold by WASD remains an option for the most selective of keyboard connoisseurs: http://commanderx16.com/deluxekeyboard )

More updates soon!

Your friend in retro, Perifractic0ea6e2a236e773685f03d7ba7058b168.jpgcfafb64419929e1468590525faead5f2.jpgde91eecf3178b705f593520dadf54878.jpg

119605709_599698404039492_787058514470388661_n~2.png

• Like 14
  • Thanks 5

I just sprung for the WASK Keyboards $205'er (brown).  Hoping to team it up with a C=Key kit I just received to use with my 128 project; maybe this will be the kick in the arse I need to do something useful with the Commander x16 virtual environment instead of watching this forum incessantly for news of the HW actually being released.

Regardless, it's beautiful looking.  Also bought two CBM logo keys which hopefully will fit.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Exabyte said:

Once I have disposable income for more than hours in my day I'd love to buy this! Keep up the good work, lads. 

Well, this is the keyboard that will be included with the X16P, so technically you won't have to buy this keyboard 😉

• Like 1

Oooh, nice.  Those "half-height" keys are often my favorites.  It's going to look great with the color and PETSCII symbols.

EDIT: Please consider making blue, rather than grey, the secondary keycap color.  But honestly it looks good even with the grey (in that render in the last pic).

Edited by John Chow Seymour
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, John Chow Seymour said:

Oooh, nice.  Those "half-height" keys are often my favorites.  It's going to look great with the color and PETSCII symbols.

EDIT: Please consider making blue, rather than grey, the secondary keycap color.  But honestly it looks good even with the grey (in that render in the last pic).

Yeah that's a factory cost limitation. How much more would you pay for a blue key? The way they mould these it would require a separate mould. The top keys don't look good all blue IMHO. The aim here is beauty and value. 😊

• Like 1

Awesome to see things continuing to move forward !

The keyboard looks great, though I love my clicky keys. 🙂

• Like 1

Looking really good, the new key caps are a plus! Regarding the colour-scheme: I'm fine with grey. Although the pattern on the rendering with only the arrow and function keys +X16 in grey appeals more to me. Maybe add Pg Up/Dn Home/End to be grey, too.
It looks very "wild" or "messy" on the prototype now. But as you said: that might change.
I will like it in any case, can't wait for the real hardware. I even found a 14" CRT VGA monitor I will use with the X16 😀.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Perifractic said:

Yeah that's a factory cost limitation. How much more would you pay for a blue key? The way they mould these it would require a separate mould. The top keys don't look good all blue IMHO. The aim here is beauty and value. 😊

Oh, I didn't know it would cost more.  Grey it is! 🤍🤑🤍

• Like 1

I am proud daily user of Deluxe keyboard for almost a year now and it works great.

I noticed that mini keyboard has one more key the "FN" at bottom left that does not exist on Deluxe version. Any special reason/plans for that?

• Like 1

I am proud daily user of Deluxe keyboard for almost a year now and it works great.
I noticed that mini keyboard has one more key the "FN" at bottom left that does not exist on Deluxe version. Any special reason/plans for that?
This will likely offer local control of keyboard functions if/where applicable but isn't transmitted to the machine, similar to the Fn key on a laptop.
  • Like 1

Well it looks pretty good to me.

I've got the X16 WASD (Clear switches), but hey, what's one more keyboard?

• Like 1

That keyboard looks super convenient for small footprint computers. I'm actually thinking about buying the modern USB version for one of the computers we use at church in the sound booth. With 4 computers in there (projection, CD recording, multitrack/video encoding, camera control) it's getting a little crowded. 

For the Commander, it looks like a very nice starter keyboard, and I think it'll do just fine for those users who don't want to spend the money on the mechanical keyboard. 

Having said that... I really want to order the WASD keyboard; I'm still just too buried in expenses to actually do so.

• Like 1

I was doing all of 50hrs+ work for online teaching back during the Spring semester Covid19 emergency on a laptop keyboard, and this looks like a big upgrade over that. Heck, if available as an individual accessory, now, I'd be tempted to buy it for myself for Christmas.

44 minutes ago, BruceMcF said:

I was doing all of 50hrs+ work for online teaching back during the Spring semester Covid19 emergency on a laptop keyboard, and this looks like a big upgrade over that. Heck, if available as an individual accessory, now, I'd be tempted to buy it for myself for Christmas.

It looks like this guy... but obviously different color and keycaps.

https://www.amazon.com/Perixx-PERIBOARD-409H-Mini-Keyboard-Port/dp/B007LQN8UU

You mean Perifractic's Periboard by Perixx?

We've worked with them on some ergonomic improvements but it was based on that model. And of course it's PS/2 with no USB hub at the back.

• Like 2

On 12/5/2020 at 11:20 AM, Perifractic said:

You mean Perifractic's Periboard by Perixx? emoji6.png

We've worked with them on some ergonomic improvements but it was based on that model. And of course it's PS/2 with no USB hub at the back.

🤣 I didn't even notice the brand. That's pretty great. 

And I do like your ergonomics better. I'm not a fan of low profile/low travel keycaps. It's the one reason I'm probably not going to buy a Pi 400... I'm waiting for the inevitable mechanical keyboard case.

• Like 2