Perifractic

First prototype mini keyboard

Posted (edited)

YAKO - yet another keyboard option. The Cherry G84-4100 PS2/USB Keyboard 83-Key TKL Mechanical Industrial Keyboard Gray

Because my WASD Commander keyboard does not ‘do’ PS/2 (*see below), I picked up a low profile, mechanical (aka switch based) keyboard for my VT510.

Here it is next to my WASD for comparison.

7187B465-1E3D-402B-B1EC-59CD63CCFE74.thumb.jpeg.e51858854ed7510087a4cea98af586a9.jpeg

It’s middle of the road, cost wise, has a very similar feel to the Cherry Brown switches I had my WASD built with, and based on reviews, is recommended... BUT:

Layout is slightly quirky, no CBM graphic chars obviously, is very lightweight compared to the WASD.

On the ‘+’ side, the switches feel very very good.. not quite AS good as full travel Brown but close.

I didn’t want the Windows logo anywhere near mine (I know), and wanted white to match my light color (yellow’d !!^{%|*#**+) terminal so it cost me $69.29 USD w free shipping (knock $5-$10 off If you tolerate Windows and don’t mind, or prefer Black)

Here is a pic against my VT, perfect for the intended use, in my space constrained lab (Retr0brite treatment coming in the early summer)

4D66CEFA-37C4-4D4D-9001-7FEAF8D9D47A.thumb.jpeg.e605818c53af1a4e9fc04cd8c069da4b.jpeg

My recommendation is that this is a great keyboard but the ‘built-for’ kbd that is the primary subject of this thread is probably a better choice unless you want to part with $200+ for the WASD.

*having used my WASD w various emulators, it’s always worked perfectly over USB.  Having tried it with PS/2 for the first time left me cursing mad.  Turns out WASD neglected to flash the firmware with the correct version.  They apologized and gave me a link to an update but no Windows in my home and no Mac, Linux, Plus/4, C16, C128, or SX-64 or Apple II+ package so this will have to wait.

So word to the fortunate, check and/or Flash your kbd before the day that your X16 arrives... the last thing you will want after this wait is to have to wait more if your kbd doesn’t support PS/2.

Edited by EMwhite

YAKO - yet another keyboard option. The Cherry G84-4100 PS2/USB Keyboard 83-Key TKL Mechanical Industrial Keyboard Gray
Because my WASD Commander keyboard does not ‘do’ PS/2 (*see below), I picked up a low profile, mechanical (aka switch based) keyboard for my VT510.
Here it is next to my WASD for comparison.
7187B465-1E3D-402B-B1EC-59CD63CCFE74.thumb.jpeg.e51858854ed7510087a4cea98af586a9.jpeg
It’s middle of the road, cost wise, has a very similar feel to the Cherry Brown switches I had my WASD built with, and based on reviews, is recommended... BUT:
Layout is slightly quirky, no CBM graphic chars obviously, is very lightweight compared to the WASD.
On the ‘+’ side, the switches feel very very good.. not quite AS good as full travel Brown but close.
I didn’t want the Windows logo anywhere near mine (I know), and wanted white to match my light color (yellow’d !!^{%|*#**+) terminal so it cost me $69.29 USD w free shipping (knock $5-$10 off If you tolerate Windows and don’t mind, or prefer Black)
Here is a pic against my VT, perfect for the intended use, in my space constrained lab (Retr0brite treatment coming in the early summer)
4D66CEFA-37C4-4D4D-9001-7FEAF8D9D47A.thumb.jpeg.e605818c53af1a4e9fc04cd8c069da4b.jpeg
My recommendation is that this is a great keyboard but the ‘built-for’ kbd that is the primary subject of this thread is probably a better choice unless you want to part with $200+ for the WASD.

*having used my WASD w various emulators, it’s always worked perfectly over USB.  Having tried it with PS/2 for the first time left me cursing mad.  Turns out WASD neglected to flash the firmware with the correct version.  They apologized and gave me a link to an update but no Windows in my home and no Mac, Linux, Plus/4, C16, C128, or SX-64 or Apple II+ package so this will have to wait.
So word to the fortunate, check and/or Flash your kbd before the day that your X16 arrives... the last thing you will want after this wait is to have to wait more if your kbd doesn’t support PS/2.

Sorry to hear that they dropped the ball on this. I’m sure they would send you a replacement with a correctly flashed firmware if you requested it.

Perifractic, X16 Visual Designer
http://youtube.com/perifractic

I'm noticing that the Home/PgUp/PgDn/End configuration has become very popular as of late... and it's different than the Home/End/PgUp/PgDn configuration on my Kinesis keyboard. 

Anyway, that's a nice looking keyboard. I need a small, inexpensive keyboard for my video rig. I was going to use my old Commander keyboard (which has been replaced by a Velocifier wireless kb), but I like that Cherry....

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

And @perifractic 

I'm wondering if you guys can reconsider offering the bare keycap set from WASD.  I'd buy another 2 sets right now if they were available... 

Edited by TomXP411

7 hours ago, Perifractic said:

Let me enquire with them and see if that’s a possibility.

Perifractic, X16 Visual Designer
http://youtube.com/perifractic

If it is, you might want to post on /r/MechanicalKeyboards as they might be all over them!

• Like 1

On 3/19/2021 at 12:38 PM, TomXP411 said:

And @perifractic 

I'm wondering if you guys can reconsider offering the bare keycap set from WASD.  I'd buy another 2 sets right now if they were available... 

Okay we now have a bare keycap set available via http://commanderx16.com/deluxekeycaps

Currently this is not customisable as we want to keep the design standard (rather than have caps with our logo turn into a sort of MySpace free for all 😉 ) and we probably won't advertise it outside of this thread, but feel free to share it wherever you wish. Hope it helps!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Perifractic said:

Okay we now have a bare keycap set available via http://commanderx16.com/deluxekeycaps

Currently this is not customisable as we want to keep the design standard (rather than have caps with our logo turn into a sort of MySpace free for all 😉 ) and we probably won't advertise it outside of this thread, but feel free to share it wherever you wish. Hope it helps!

Sweet! Thank you! 

Ima get another set right now.

They are going to go on this guy:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829VJB92

It has the same configuration as the WASD V3, so the keys should all work (including the modifiers) without any changes. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Perifractic said:

This is something I would actually consider. I'll gladly plunk down extra money to have a full-featured keyboard and then add the custom keycaps. Not having a numpad, etc. makes the standard X16 WASD keyboard a non-starter for me. I can't justify spending that much on a keyboard and then only use it for the X16. I'd rather have it for cross-development and emulation, where I'd be doing most of my typing, anyway, and then have it for general use on the host system, as well.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Perifractic said:

Not customizable? Dang. I was hoping to replace one of the big-X keys with a key marked ANY.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Maybe combine these with a set of blank numpad keys (which already exist from various vendors) as a reminder that the numpad isn't supported, if putting this on a 101- through 105-key keyboard.

Posted (edited)
On 3/23/2021 at 6:23 PM, Perifractic said:

Hey, Peri... my keycaps arrived on Saturday, and I just now got them installed. They look great on my Velocifire keyboard. 

1045399097_CommanderBacklit.thumb.png.5132f4146b28331e43c25019ecb5db24.png47409549_CommanderVelocifire.thumb.png.d96a64b638cc305b3ca0780f342b8f22.png

As you can see, the white backlighting makes the keys usable even in a dark room, although I'll probably never use the backlight under normal circumstances. 

Thanks again for the option to buy the keycaps. I'm 100% pleased with them, and having a wireless PETSCII keyboard for my emulation machine is a dream come true.  🙂

Edited by TomXP411
  • Like 4