Jump to content

Recommended Posts

 

I have been looking into the audio code a bit it should sound less 'crunchy' now.

https://x16emu.s3.amazonaws.com/x16emu.html?manifest=https://x16repos.s3.amazonaws.com/chase.zip

(compared to https://www.commanderx16.com/emulator/x16emu.html?manifest=/emulator/9-chase-vault/ )

I tested on a Mac with Chrome and Safari. Please let me know if that improves it for you too.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's almost perfect on Windows 10 / Chrome. A little stutter here or there, but a lot better and very usable! On Firefox it's still stuttering though, sadly.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks good to me on Chrome/Windows, as well! Only the slightest stutter once or twice while I played the whole first level. It's now better than my old laptop running the native emulator!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chrome on Linux is still struggling. The frame rate is dragging, which also causes the music to break up. Firefox on Linux is better with the frame rate, with less dragging, but the sound is crunchier. So, definitely performance varies between browsers and platforms.

I'm curious to see how it works on a Mac, which I don't have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to try it on Linux yet. Performance really differs between browsers/OS combination it seems.    One thing I Still would like to try is to pass native sample rate from the browser environment to the core emulator and use this rate.  I am not sure if there is significant  extra overhead if the sample rates don’t  match. In the Code we hardcode  Samplerate to 48828. But on the Mac the native sample rate in the chrome Audio context is 44100. Not sure if that matters at all.   After doing many modification to the audio code, I reverted most of them back and only increased the samples_per_buffer constant to 1024. Which got rid of the crunchiness in most cases. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I tried my new PSG demo with the web emulator, and it works really well, much better than the YM2151. It's not perfect, but it's just as good, if not better than, the native emulator. Holding a sustained wave shows how the sampling is not quite perfect, with little fuzzy and crunchy bits here and there. But they don't really happen any more often with the web emulator.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The file in the zip is all-caps CHASVALT.PRG, but that shouldn't matter if you are still running from a Windows server. Are you still unzipping the archive before trying to load the PRG? This used to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It used to work, but I believe we changed the expected case of filenames in response to my last demo, when the web emulator was failing to load .seq files that had been included.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've removed the case conversion from the code and it's working again. So it's up to the programmer to take care of referencing files correctly again now.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Please review our Terms of Use