New demo uploaded: Basic Color Cycling Demo

jnewman

oh man, thanks for that website link, I've seen that in the past but totally forgot about it.

It's quite interesting to hear the tale of Mark Ferrari the pixel artist for many Lucasarts adventure games such as Monkey Island and how his skills became obsolete overnight once graphics cards got more advanced.

• Administrators
11 hours ago, desertfish said:

oh man, thanks for that website link, I've seen that in the past but totally forgot about it.

It's quite interesting to hear the tale of Mark Ferrari the pixel artist for many Lucasarts adventure games such as Monkey Island and how his skills became obsolete overnight once graphics cards got more advanced.

Same here about the link. Thanx!

But where did I missed the tale?

@Cyber i watched various youtube documentaries about MOnkey Island and such, and also the site @jnewman linked above actually has some information:

http://www.effectgames.com/effect/article-Q_A_with_Mark_J_Ferrari.html

Here's a youtube video, I think a long part with Mark talking starts at around 33 minutes in, he talks about how he learned to do dithering for Zak McKracken to increase the number of apparent colors. And goes from there.

Finally, I think Mark Ferrari also did art in Thimbleweed Park.

• Thanks 1

I am glad the link sparked nostalgia. I really dig those old graphic adventures as well as text adventures. Played the crap out of the scott adams games on my vic as well as the sierra and lucas arts games (on my PC). They don't make them like they used to! Hoping the x16 will resurrect some of that old magic.

Edited by jnewman

On 12/14/2020 at 5:44 AM, desertfish said:

@Cyber i watched various youtube documentaries about MOnkey Island and such, and also the site @jnewman linked above actually has some information:

http://www.effectgames.com/effect/article-Q_A_with_Mark_J_Ferrari.html

Here's a youtube video, I think a long part with Mark talking starts at around 33 minutes in, he talks about how he learned to do dithering for Zak McKracken to increase the number of apparent colors. And goes from there.

Finally, I think Mark Ferrari also did art in Thimbleweed Park.

I think this may be the video that originally led me to that link. I did buy Thimbleweed park when it came out and watched the video on him making the art for that game. That lead me to look up.more of his work. Good stuff!

Edited by jnewman

Does anyone know of a stand alone IFF image viewer program that is also capable of showing those color cycling animations? 

The few programs I found that are capable of reading IFF ILBM image files (those Amiga paletted images that sometimes contain color cycling information as well) do not show the color cycling...   I'm investigating this now myself in my prototype Python program that parses IFF files

Update: my python program can now display IFF ILBM images with Color Cycling.  Great Success!

Edited by desertfish

You've really inspired me with this simple color cycle demo and especially the link to that fabulous 256 color cycling images website.

I've actually converted the images back to IFF (with color cycling information) and am now building color cycling support in my imageviewer program.  Ofcourse the images will be scaled down to half their original resolution, and we lose 12 bits of color palette accuracy, but it will still be quite amazing:

image.png.df0e75be585a41a062b7e40e141815a6.png

Unfortunately those images are copyrighted and I think this means I am not allowed to distribute them even if scaled down. I'm not entirely sure about this yet.

Edited by desertfish
  • Like 1

• Administrators

Now I watched The Making of Monkey Island (30th Anniversary Documentary) as well.
I recommend everybody to watch. Apart from Mark's interesting stories there are also intersting tellings from other people, who took part in creating Monkey Island.
Also there is very touching speech by Mark Ferrari at the end of the documentary. At least I was touched.