m00dawg

Getting data to/from the X16

Posted (edited)

Here’s the use case I keep thinking about: by sheer luck I actually finish my Traveller Trader game, and want to distribute it free to others.  Or someone writes a very nice Ultima-IV-styled game.  Or David Murray writes Planet X16.  Etc.

There’s at least 512k of banked RAM on this beast.  My game has a 270k map, and other files.  In other words it reads files into 40 banks.  The game loads all that using KERNAL calls, easy peasy, when it starts up.

1. I have to use a KERNAL solution.  That means IEC or the new device 1 (SD), right?  I can’t use an expansion card or the user port unless it’s got a modular boot loader that patches the KERNAL and makes it transparent to programs using it.  AND that our games are clever enough to use the “current” device, instead of defaulting to device 1 or device 8.  Or asking which device to use.  Or something.

So while I can hope for an expansion card, what we have now is an SD socket that I will want to buy an extension cable for, and the old Commodore IEC bus (which may not survive to the smaller X16 models).

2. Speed.  It is super fast on the emulator, surprise.  But, it won’t be as fast on the X16.  Will it be as fast as a 1581?  Or will it chug along like the 1541? I remember this is LGR’s big criticism of 80s nostalgia in one of 8BG’s videos about his Dream Computer.

How fast do you want 512 kilobytes transferred to the X16 by a game someone wrote?  Answer: probably at fast-loader speeds.  Maybe that just means we load a wedge at boot time.  Ok.

Edited by rje

Posted (edited)
On 3/19/2021 at 12:50 PM, rje said:

2. Speed.  It is super fast on the emulator, surprise.  But, it won’t be as fast on the X16.  Will it be as fast as a 1581? 

The SD card will certainly be much faster than a 1581 ... except when the slow clock mode is set, the SPI clock is 12.5MHz, which is substantially faster than the maximum bits per second that a 1MHz or 2MHz CIA can transfer data over a clocked hardware serial line, and the processing speed & sector seek speeds for the 1581 pulls maximum throughput well below the maximum throughput of the CIA serial shift register (which is in turn faster than 1571 fast serial mode, which is in turn much faster than VIC-20 IEC mode).

If you are worrying about the SD card failing to be many multiples of the speed of the 1581, you may be worrying over nothing.

As far as getting files onto the SD card without sneakernetting, an important resource constraint for different people's choices will be different quantities of patience on offer.

Edited by BruceMcF

It sounds like the concern comes down to:

1. The SD card is fast, but:
    1. It is inconveniently placed.
    2. It has limited insertions before failure.
  2. The IEC port is slow.

I'm still partial to architecturally defining a storage expansion card interface that KERNAL supports and letting 3rd parties build cards that conform to the spec. If it were possible to flash ROM after the unit has shipped, then this could be turned around and a 3rd party could create a solution that is compelling enough that it gets into post-release KERNAL update, but it isn't clear that field updates to the ROM will be supported. The flash IC it looks like they're using (SST39SF040) seems to have a straightforward host-controlled rewriting process, but allowing field updates also means defending against malicious and accidental bricking of the device.

1 hour ago, Wavicle said:

It has limited insertions before failure.

Is there any real evidence that the SD2IEC is any more durable than the SD slot on the VERA? This seems to be a lot of worrying for nothing. How many times a day is anyone likely to insert and eject the SD card? My guess is that for most folks it will be far less than once a day. Maybe a bit when getting it first set up, but after that when you get new software for it, which is going to be what, twice a week? Like others have suggested, get an SD extension and mount it wherever you like, if you are really concerned. If you wear that out, buy a new one for <$10.

Posted (edited)

Matt (and Bruce), I *think* the SD route is reasonable and (like with the cable) wear can be avoided.

I'm thinking aloud about this, because that's what I'm trained to do at work -- (1) ask questions and (2) think about use cases and (3) suggest worst-case game-stopping scenarios, if it's possible that they can be avoided upstream.

How often will we swap that card out?

First, think about the process for new resources.

1. Pop it out of its slot and connect it to your computer.
2. Make a directory for the new thing (e.g. like /planetX16).
3. Copy the files into that directory.
4. BACK UP THE IMAGE (maybe not always).
5. Put the SD card back into the X16.

At what point does that become a bit tedious?  I don't actually think I'll be doing this more than once a week, or even once a month.  So maybe it's a moot point.

I just want to make sure it's a moot point.

Edited by rje

Posted (edited)

I know someone mentioned that they couldn't believe that a program would take up all available banked RAM.

I tell you, if it's there, it will be used.  

Edited by rje

7 minutes ago, rje said:

I know someone mentioned that they couldn't believe that a program would take up all available banked RAM.

"640k ought to be enough for anyone".

1 minute ago, rje said:

Maybe not a program, per se, but definitely a program + data. Here's how the current state of Cavy's Quest works:

Load #1: Engine code + Main config + Title screen data = 129kB

Load #2: Zone 0 data: 333 kB (nearly complete)

Load #3: Zone 1 data: 320 kB (likely to grow significantly)

Then more zones are to come, but only one needs to be loaded at a time, and the game will be structured to minimize zone transitions.

Then there is other data generated on the fly in three other banks, so an XCI game can absolutely use all 63 user banks at once and pretty much all of main RAM. Maybe not all banks at 100%, but close to it.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, SlithyMatt said:

Maybe not a program, per se, but definitely a program + data. ...

Yes, it's program+data that is the source of "biggish" size sets of files to be loaded onto the SD card.

And one thing to bear in mind is how much some of the C64 game companies would CRUNCH their data down to get it loaded onto a 1541 disk. Given that this is more hobbyist or niche programming, there will be sometimes be something like the US revolutionary war soldier who was writing home, "Dear sister, I apologize for the long letter, but I didn't have the time to write a short one."

11 hours ago, rje said:

Matt (and Bruce), I *think* the SD route is reasonable and (like with the cable) wear can be avoided.

If the sd slot location is inconveniently located and/or wear is a concern, why not 'make' an extension adapter that plugs into the micro and ribbon-cable's (v) it out to a standard size SD slot on the front/under the front of the X16.  Of course, I'm talking about an add-on product that some enterprising youngster can sell for $25 with just $10 worth of parts.  Limited market yes; mother-of-invention type solution, also 'yes'.

Sort of like the TFW8Bit Pet 'extension' Brought the card to the front: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/sd2pet.html. The aesthetics of battle-zone style braked metal 70's CBM that incorporates the color matched boxy 2031 style won't fit the Commander's motif but I'm sure something can be worked out.  (if only it were the 70's again, my riveting, shear, brake, punch, spot welding skills could come in handy and I could be a millionaire.  Come to think of it, the 'blue' that Dave uses in his cartridges is probably very close and he already has the mould for the SD slot... hmmm...)

4 hours ago, EMwhite said:

If the sd slot location is inconveniently located and/or wear is a concern, why not 'make' an extension adapter that plugs into the micro and ribbon-cable's (v) it out to a standard size SD slot on the front/under the front of the X16.  Of course, I'm talking about an add-on product that some enterprising youngster can sell for $25 with just $10 worth of parts.  Limited market yes; mother-of-invention type solution, also 'yes'.

Such a cable has quite a few markets which is why you can find them on Amazon for $6. I have a couple of them used to reduce wear on the micro SD socket on my 3D. They didn't turn out to be as necessary as I'd thought though because most of my prints are handled via Octoprint which enables me to start a print from any computer on my network.

I think the concept here is somewhat the same: we (well, some of us anyway) don't want to move around physical storage media in order to move bits. On my Mister, I don't move the SD card to a computer and copy the ROMs I want onto the card; I use FileZilla to copy them using FTP over the network.

• Thanks 1

On 3/21/2021 at 12:05 PM, rje said:

It will be fine with a lot of the potential market. For others in the potential market, they will find it annoying. But if there is a range of under $10-$20 solutions that cover the range of different ways that people prefer to handle it - eg, sneakernet, WiFi onto SD, USB flash drive, cheap cable to existing PC - then I think it's OK.

• Like 1