256 color 16x16 tiles

svenvandevelde

Question

What is the best method for loading 256 tiles in 8bpp (256 colors) of 16x16 dimension into the vera vram?

This is 65536 bytes so this a full bank!

Bank 0 contains the characters at f800, so should not be overwritten. 

Using bank 1 has weird side effects. I hear sounds when I fill the whole bank. 

Any advice?

Sven

6 answers to this question

The VERA has PSG registers located from $1F9C0 to $1F9FF. I think the best solution is to have the PETSCII character set moved to $1F000, so that bank 0 now holds enough capacity for 64 KB worth of tiles.

$1F9C0 onwards has no longer been general-purpose video memory ever since the VERA 0.9 changes got put in place. Palette and sprite registers used to be in separate bins, but now they hog the very end of VRAM.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, StinkerB06 said:

The VERA has PSG registers located from $1F9C0 to $1F9FF. I think the best solution is to have the PETSCII character set moved to $1F000, so that bank 0 now holds enough capacity for 64 KB worth of tiles.

$1F9C0 onwards has no longer been general-purpose video memory ever since the VERA 0.9 changes got put in place. Palette and sprite registers used to be in separate bins, but now they hog the very end of VRAM.

That is a wonderful idea! Great man. I'll try that. And let you all know the result here ...

Sven

On 1/16/2021 at 12:40 PM, Johan Kårlin said:

I do exactly this in my new game project where I use 64 Kb tilemaps. Just change the tilebase address for layer 0 in RAM address $9f2f and copy the character set to the new location.

I thought I heard the X16 command prompt uses layer 1 and not 0?