New audio upload: Concerto

kliepatsch

Concerto

View File

This is an old video (hopefully I'll be able to make a new one soon):

The CONCERTO synthesizer is what I intend to be the sound generating side of a music making software for the Commander X16. It uses the 16 voices of the VERA and the 8 voices of the YM2151 and aims to get the very maximum out of them. It is not quite there yet but has a lot of strengths already. The main features:

• 32 synth timbres (i.e. sounds)
  • 16 monophonic channels, each playing a dynamically assigned synth timbre
  • up to 4 PSG oscillators and 1 YM2151 voice per timbre
  • up to 3 envelopes and 1 LFO per timbre
  • pitch, volume and pulse width modulation
  • vibrato
  • volume control per voice ("velocity")
  • pitchbend
  • save and load presets / banks (a bank is the entirety of all 32 loaded timbres)
  • comes with one bank of "factory" sounds

Features that are planned (for the sound engine):

• volume and vibrato automation

If you have problems with the audio quality in the "Try it now", download and run in the offline emulator with the command line option "-abufs 12" or more.

To use file loading and saving, you must use an SD card.

For more information, look into the README and the source files and/or send me a PM.
If you find bugs, please let me know, or post an issue on GitHub.

https://github.com/biermanncarl/cx16-concerto

Find the devlog here: https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?/topic/1079-concerto-dev-log/ 

Find m00dawgd's Command Tracker which will likely use Concerto: https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/index.php?/topic/978-command-tracker-dev-log/

• Like 2

In case you are having trouble with your mouse not covering the whole area in the emulator, simply move it twice across the whole window from left to right and back (and maybe tha same in the up/down direction). That should help you reach all corners of the UI, and seems to be an issue with the emulator.

Thanks for putting that together. I didn't get to try all of these myself due to the weird Linux/X16-Emu mouse issue. Really impressive stuff! Hopefully also puts to rest any of the concerns about VeraSound's capability too (although I'd still like there to be a buzzy noise option on VeraSound - ala NES - if I had to be nit picky :P).

Edited by m00dawg
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...