Official software uploaded: Commander X16 Emulator (Win/Mac/Linux)

18 hours ago, StephenHorn said:

I know this isn't helping, but... every time this thread gets bumped, I keep hoping it's r39.

r39 is on GitHub, but it's not compiled there for Windows. If you walk back in the thread, you'll find I've posted a Windows binary, and compiling for Mac or Linux should be straightforward. I actually compiled the Windows binary on a Linux computer....

27 minutes ago, JimmyDansbo said:

Do you have a guide to compiling the windows binary on linux? 

No, I just looked at the Makefile for switch settings. It's been a few months, so I don't remember the exact process.... 

6 hours ago, TomXP411 said:

r39 is on GitHub, but it's not compiled there for Windows. If you walk back in the thread, you'll find I've posted a Windows binary, and compiling for Mac or Linux should be straightforward. I actually compiled the Windows binary on a Linux computer....

Oh, believe me, I'm well aware of the github repo, I've been one of the more active contributors. 😛 But there is no release tag for r39, because r39 is not released yet. It is nice, however, that the current head revisions of the emulator and ROM work together at the moment, and that they currently preview the next revision of the hardware that will be in r39.

But if I were to, say, upload a new program for r39 right now, then relatively few people would be able to run it, and in particular it would not work under the "Try It Now" feature.

25 minutes ago, JimmyDansbo said:

I don't compile the Windows binary on Linux, personally. I actually have my own VS2019 solution setup, with some additional source files to handle the platform compatibility differences between the cross-compiling environment of the official build and a native Windows environment. It sounds like one of the folks on the unofficial Discord server has recently rolled their own CMake script as well for compiling on Windows.

31 minutes ago, JimmyDansbo said:

I cross-compiled the emulator a few days ago. Here are the important make variables that need to be set on the command line:

• WIN_SDL2 must be a path to a directory containing bin and lib subdirectories. The bin subdirectory must contain the sdl2-config executable, while the lib subdirectory must contain the MinGW 32-bit SDL2 libraries. These files can be obtained here by downloading SDL2-devel-2.0.14-mingw.tar.gz.
  • MINGW32 must be a path to a directory containing a lib subdirectory, which contains the MinGW 32-bit standard libraries.
  • CROSS_COMPILE_WINDOWS must be equal to 1.

For example, on my system, the command I use is:

make WIN_SDL2=/opt/local/i686-w64-mingw32/ MINGW32=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/ CROSS_COMPILE_WINDOWS=1

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, StephenHorn said:

Oh, believe me, I'm well aware of the github repo, I've been one of the more active contributors. 😛 But there is no release tag for r39, because r39 is not released yet. It is nice, however, that the current head revisions of the emulator and ROM work together at the moment, and that they currently preview the next revision of the hardware that will be in r39.

But if I were to, say, upload a new program for r39 right now, then relatively few people would be able to run it, and in particular it would not work under the "Try It Now" feature.

I don't compile the Windows binary on Linux, personally. I actually have my own VS2019 solution setup, with some additional source files to handle the platform compatibility differences between the cross-compiling environment of the official build and a native Windows environment. It sounds like one of the folks on the unofficial Discord server has recently rolled their own CMake script as well for compiling on Windows.

This is a huge problem, and we need to get past this - because no one can develop against R39 if they don't have R39, and developing against an obsolete R38 is problematic. 

This is an especially big deal for people making tools, such as compilers.

Here's the Windows version (as uploaded over in this thread)
https://www.commanderx16.com/forum/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=1154

Edited by TomXP411

1 hour ago, Elektron72 said:

make WIN_SDL2=/opt/local/i686-w64-mingw32/ MINGW32=/usr/i686-w64-mingw32/ CROSS_COMPILE_WINDOWS=1

I actually had to copy the i686-w64-mingw32 directory to /opt/local/ 

Even when I provided a different path to WIN_SDL2, it still tried to find the files in /opt/local/i686-w64-mingw32

Thanks for your help 🙂