Sign in to follow this  
Jeff Pare

VIC-II FPGA prototype

Considering how many of the Commodore 64's part just die of old age, it's been a joy to see people creating very good modern replacements for problematic chips (PLA, SID). I learned today of someone working on an FPGA replacement for the VIC-II.

Here's the video

• Like 4

This is pretty great. 

At this point, all of the C64 components have an FPGA version (and there are obviously full system FPGA cores, at least 3 that I know of.) At this point, someone could build a brand new Commodore 64 using FPGAs to replace all of the custom chips...

I watched part of the video. The replacement is far and away superior to the original vic2. more colors, etc. Not sure if the loyalists of the original c64 would dig it that much. and only newer software could exploit the features.

Randy is amazing! Both the VIC-II Kawari and the BMC64 are wonderful retro projects. And you can see he knows exactly what he’s doing.

You can replace the SID, the PLA, the ROMs and now the VIC-II.

The CPU you can kind of replace with a 65C02. Are there replacements for the 6526 CIAs, though?