Programming memes

Post funny retro related memes or jokes you’ve made or found here. (Items should be license free/public domain.)
ZeroByte

Programming memes

Post by ZeroByte »

On 12/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, Cyber said:

X16 might will end up with MCU controlling PS/2 interface.

The PS/2 interface through VIA bit banging is mega ultra hella slow. One key pressed is enough to make the VBLANK routine last into about visible scan line 8 or 9 on the display.

Strider

Programming memes

Post by Strider »

On 12/5/2021 at 11:32 PM, Cyber said:

You know, this one is actually very true. I get the sarcasm, that MCUs are often used by a programmer as an overkill in cases where you could just put a few resistors/transistors etc. But MCUs nowdays are pretty mach fast, cheap and approachable. And sometimes it as actually more clever to use MCU even for a basic task, because such implementation could be more understandable, more cutomizable and even more reliable.

Remember power button implementation in X16? MCU was chosen, because implementation with simple components was not reliable enougn.

And now same fate is hanging in a ballance for PS/2. X16 might end up with MCU controlling PS/2 interface.

I am vastly more knowledgeable when it comes to electronics (hardware) than I am with programming (software), but I still did that exact thing.

Building myself an AM/FM radio, just because I want to, and it morphed from a simple no MCU all analog project, into a programmable Arduino powered touchscreen unit. So now, I'm  doing a second "retro" all analog one, becasue, why not.

I built my wife a simple Arduino powered EMF meter, now I'm building her a second more advanced one,  with more "options", for her ghost hunting hobby. An EMF detector needs no MCU's, it's a very simple circuit, yet here I am spending days planning, programming, and building something that would normally take hours at most.

So no one is safe, especially if your learning something new. ?

Also...

r_1072889_tCvNk.jpg.1a33bc033e88462d05838667891edb11.jpg u608yj2uacv01.jpg.9d102b2c1ca2d5468ca1b9ddb4de771c.jpg

DpIxMEGXoAArHAz.jpg.8c6b37add4f3c28a5412bf402437856f.jpg

?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!