Check out my new MiSTer based "Amiga"

This is where we discuss our modern PCs, Raspberry Pis, Macs, and smart-whatevers.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

So I recently ordered the Checkmate ITX computer case with the MiSTer fitting kit. I got the Pi fitting kit, but I'm not ready to talk about that one yet - I need another ITX case for that setup.

As you can see, the case looks fantastic. It really evokes the feel of the last generation of Amiga cases, and with the smaller ITX form factor, you can stick a small system just about anywhere. 

The MiSter fitting kit comes with a USB hub, power supply adapter, and enough cables to mount 2 additional USB ports, HDMI, VGA, and network jacks. In my case, I didn't pay attention to the location of the power connector on the USB hub, so I ended up blocking the HDMI position on the backplate with the hub's power connector. So I moved the HDMI port to a different location. It works well enough, but it's not the way it was designed. 

This system does not include an analog I/O board. So if you want VGA or analog audio, you need to get your own I/O board. 

My only complaint about this setup is that the LEDs and buttons on my I/O board are blocked, and Checkmate doesn't provide any sort of adapter cable to pull the hard drive LED out to the front. I fixed this myself with a couple of breadboad jumper wires. However, be careful, as the LED needs a 220 ohm (or higher) resistor. I made sure to add one so that I don't burn out the hard drive LED. I just experimented until I found the correct locations for the HD LED wires, and it works perfectly.

A case like this really makes the MiSTer a much more "professional" product. Now it looks and feels like a real PC, rather than just a random collection of circuit boards, and I 100% recommend an ATX plate like this for your MiSTer setup.

IMG_2523.jpgIMG_2524.jpg

desertfish

Post by desertfish »

case inspired by Amiga 3000?

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 6/2/2022 at 2:29 PM, desertfish said:

case inspired by Amiga 3000?

Yes. Checkmate has two different base case designs. The bigger case is meant to directly fit an Amiga motherboard or a PC motherboard. 

The smaller case is ITX only, and you have to use adapter plates to fit other boards (MiSter, Pi, UnAmiga, etc.)

https://www.checkmate1500plus.com/

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

I opted to go for the MiSTer Multisystem with their 3D printed console looking case. I selected the black case. Should arrive tomorrow!Screenshot_20220602-172145.thumb.png.6cedb4d5cbf0d5bf5c8896336c486b49.png

Strider

Post by Strider »

Not gonna lie Tom... I'm a little jealous. ?

Lovely Amiga inspired beige case, and the MiSTer is one thing I haven't had the time or money to mess with yet. The more I see and read about them, the more I want to do something like this. It just looks like fun, and it looks amazing!

On a side note, every LED I use in a 5V circuit is behind a 220 or 330 ohm resistor (mostly 330 since I have so many on hand) in all my projects. lol

Forgive my ignorance, but what does the MiSTer run off of?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!