DIY Electronics, Tools, and other Projects.

This is for products with a physical and digital component. Things like an Arduino based emulator of a 1970s mainframe, a toaster that butters your bread, or even a homebrew computer.
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

On 8/23/2022 at 7:08 PM, Strider said:

So far, it's holding up fine, I've used it about 6 or 7 times. The base is weighted metal, the arms and grippers are plastic, but as long as you don't wrench on it like a madman it should last. I like it, much easier than helping hands for a lot of things.

Thanks for feedback. Pretty much same experience here. )

I agree that this tool is not universal, because it can't hold some boards with awkward shapes. But for the most boards I found it very convenient. And I felt like it's not popular enough. I wondered that I did not see it in any repair video I watched.

Strider

Post by Strider »

It will come in handy to build this... I just ordered the boards. ?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283494335966

https://www.ebay.com/itm/283877042508

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Strider

Post by Strider »

Well, I FINALLY broke down and ordered a Pinecil... they're actually in stock! ?

Now I wait for it to arrive from China. Can't wait to use it.

pinecil.jpg.5edbfeb2d4161ed186c134667f8b8643.jpg

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
BruceMcF

Post by BruceMcF »

On 8/24/2022 at 12:43 AM, Cyber said:

I agree that this tool is not universal, because it can't hold some boards with awkward shapes. But for the most boards I found it very convenient. And I felt like it's not popular enough. I wondered that I did not see it in any repair video I watched.

Just speculating, but I wonder whether the repair videos benefit to a greater extent from the flexibility of helping hands placement, in terms of getting the board in a position where the camera can see it, it is well lit, and also it's possible to work on it comfortably.

Strider

Post by Strider »

On 11/6/2022 at 8:37 AM, BruceMcF said:

Just speculating, but I wonder whether the repair videos benefit to a greater extent from the flexibility of helping hands placement, in terms of getting the board in a position where the camera can see it, it is well lit, and also it's possible to work on it comfortably.

I find myself using both the helping hands and PCB holder, it depends on what I'm working on. Helping hands are great for soldering on a wide variety of board shapes, wires, connectors, etc., but they can be finicky and unstable at times. The PCB holder is excellent for stability, but is limited in what it can hold. Personally, I really like having both.

Also, it finally arrived! Just need to order a TS-BC2 tip and I'm set.

pinecil.thumb.jpg.d32164808fa0214ae0e3094fef0d209d.jpg