Ones own foot, and the shooting thereof.

Post funny retro related memes or jokes you’ve made or found here. (Items should be license free/public domain.)
StephenHorn

Ones own foot, and the shooting thereof.

Post by StephenHorn »

I'm reminded of the old saw about how different languages allow you to shoot yourself in the foot, and was thinking about how that applies to various computing platforms:
  • X16 - You shoot yourself in the foot.
  • C64 - After hours of troubleshooting chip failures, and weeks searching for replacement parts, you shoot yourself in the foot in full, retro glory.
  • Windows - While assembling your gun, you pull a string. It's attached by a series of levers and pulleys to a gun half a mile away, and it shoots you in the head.
  • iOS - Your gun violates the app store's terms of service. Six months later, Apple includes a gun just like yours with the OS.
  • Linux - You aim at your foot, but the gun explodes in your hand. StackOverflow has six relevant questions about why this happened, with eight methods provided by non-experts to work around the supposed problems, none of which work in your case so you ultimately decide to use a different model of gun.
Anyone else with entertaining "shoot yourself in the foot" lists?
Developer for Box16, the other X16 emulator. (Box16 on GitHub)
I also accept pull requests for x16emu, the official X16 emulator. (x16-emulator on GitHub)
Edmond D

Re: Ones own foot, and the shooting thereof.

Post by Edmond D »

With a VIC-20, it's so resource limited you can't harm anything - it's more of a nerf gun without any rounds.

PS - I started with a VIC and now have a small collection holed up in my crawlspace for "someday", including a user port proto board and enough card edge connectors to plug in every cartridge all at once!
BruceRMcF

Post by BruceRMcF »

Forth: In the foot, it was, that shoot yourself, you did.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

MS-DOS:
C:\> SHOOT -T FOOT

Thank you for trying the Shareware version of Shoot! To get the full version of Shoot!, which includes the arms, legs, and other body parts, please send $19.95 to...
c64c46c

Post by c64c46c »

Perl: virtually unlimited assortment of parts, most combinations make loaded guns. You usually don't realize you've shot yourself until you "use strict". "use warnings" is a lie, it should be "use been shot". And if you manage to not shoot yourself, it comes with an unlimited spool of rope and unwinnable version of hangman.