Why not 'enhanced' Commodore 64?

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
TomXP411

Re: Why not 'enhanced' Commodore 64?

Post by TomXP411 »

The_Guy222 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:13 am You'd think there'd be some more Apple II games, though, given the relatively open architecture. Probably a little easier to keep one running than with some systems.
I'm actually a bit mystified by why the Apple II isn't getting the same amount of love as the C64. I've seen a ton of new releases and emulators for Commodore, but it seems like the Apple II retro community basically doesn't exist, or they're very low key if they do.

Even on platforms like MiSTer, the Apple II core is pretty basic and can't even write back to disk, whereas there are at least 5 different Commodore cores, with various addons, even.
c64c46c

Post by c64c46c »

TomXP411 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 6:35 am
The_Guy222 wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 12:13 am You'd think there'd be some more Apple II games, though, given the relatively open architecture. Probably a little easier to keep one running than with some systems.
I'm actually a bit mystified by why the Apple II isn't getting the same amount of love as the C64. I've seen a ton of new releases and emulators for Commodore, but it seems like the Apple II retro community basically doesn't exist, or they're very low key if they do.

Even on platforms like MiSTer, the Apple II core is pretty basic and can't even write back to disk, whereas there are at least 5 different Commodore cores, with various addons, even.
I conjecture it has nothing to do with technology. Nostalgia doesn't exist for hippies.
paulscottrobson

Post by paulscottrobson »

I'd have a wild guess it's to do with the rather basic machine itself. You've got that slighly weird 2 bit graphic display, and simple buzzer. There's the opportunity to squeeze stuff out of the Speccy and C64 that isn't there, ability to hack the hardware. You can do this on the 2600 and the Atari 8-bit. The Apple II just does what it does, it's display is a clever hack anyway (I think ?) ; so do the PET and TRS80.

Also, there's cost. Pet Apple Tandy were very expensive, most individual people of our age didn't have one ; things like the Vuc20, C64 and Speccy were much more affordable ; so most people will have started programming on them. You don't see much software for the TRS80 either. You're always going to be 'lured' towards your first love, so to speak. You can see this to some extent in David Murray talking about the X16.
Cyber

Post by Cyber »

paulscottrobson wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:19 pm Also, there's cost. Pet Apple Tandy were very expensive, most individual people of our age didn't have one ; things like the Vuc20, C64 and Speccy were much more affordable
I second on this one. The cheapest machines that also could impress people created critical mass of user base around themselves, which lives to this day.
BruceRMcF

Post by BruceRMcF »

paulscottrobson wrote: Sun Apr 30, 2023 3:19 pm ... Also, there's cost. Pet Apple Tandy were very expensive, most individual people of our age didn't have one ; things like the Vuc20, C64 and Speccy were much more affordable ; so most people will have started programming on them. ...
Yes, I'll "third" this one. The reason I got a Commodore 64 in the first place is it offered the only complete disk drive based system (computer, drive, high resolution monochrome monitor, I already had a portable color TV) that I could buy with the VA benefits check I had in hand (Nota Bene: at 19 or so, I wasn't the veteran -- my Dad was).