Hello from Germany

Come in and say hi. Let us know a little about you and where you heard about the Commander X16 or this forum.
Robdroid

Heart Hello from Germany

Post by Robdroid »

Hi everyone,

My name is Robert and I created the account mainly, because I want to get into retro programming with the Commander X16. My first Computer was a Commodore 64, which I still use from time to time, but I rarely programm basic anymore.

I'm a big fan of the 8-bit guy and now that his dream computer is out, I am curious to try. I will probably start with the emulator though, before buying the real thing, and see how far i will come. :lol:
Edmond D

Re: Hello from Germany

Post by Edmond D »

Welcome to the community Robert!

BASIC is a fine language for learning, but like most here you've probably;y moved on. There are many other languages that the Cx16 runs; I hope to get into some of them at some point.

As for retro programming, it would be interesting to hear what that means to you. My thoughts is that while the X16 is still an 8 bit machine, it is modern in the sense all the hardware has been designed/developed in the last few years. Plus the vast amounts of understanding about programming post the 6502 days means the quality of software can be much better. It all comes down to the developer. The 80's as a decade learning about computing/computers; now seems to be about re-living those days with the 30+ years of knowledge in software design and development. That's not to discredit those who were flipping switches, using punch cards and on a terminal/modem to some mini or mainframe before the 8 bit home revolution; that's in part what got us to the golden (stone?) age of the 80's, when getting the masses on computers (even if it was just playing games.)

How has using the emulator been for you? It has some differences from the shipping product, but is quite well done. It certainly makes the platform complete - software and hardware (emulated and real) both available at the same time.