Not HDMI

If you have feature requests, this is the place to post them. Please note your idea may already be something we have already discussed and decided against, or something we are working on privately, and we cannot be held responsible for any similarities in such instance. Whilst we cannot respond to every suggestion, your idea will be read and responded to where possible. Thank you for your input!
Pop

Not HDMI

Post by Pop »

Could "Not HDMI" be included like it is on the MEGA65, perhaps if not in this generation but the next one? And also include sound in it? Although upon researching it some people have problems with the MEGA65 not HDMI and apparently it doesn't work on all monitors. Maybe it is best to just use a VGA to HDMI converter.
Ser Olmy

Re: Not HDMI

Post by Ser Olmy »

AFAIK, the Mega65 HDMI issues are due to not all monitors being able to handle a 50 Hz PAL signal. That wouldn't be an issue with the Commander X16, as it only supports 60 Hz video modes.

VGA-to-HDMI is pretty rubbish, as it's a) expensive (if you need a standalone converter), b) lossy (may or may not be relevant/noticable, depending on resolution), and c) introduces lag.

Contrast that with HDMI-to-VGA dongles, which are cheap, non-lossy, and lag-free.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Pop wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:51 am Could "Not HDMI" be included like it is on the MEGA65, perhaps if not in this generation but the next one? And also include sound in it? Although upon researching it some people have problems with the MEGA65 not HDMI and apparently it doesn't work on all monitors. Maybe it is best to just use a VGA to HDMI converter.
There is at least one user project aimed at this exact thing. The VERA board that Wavicle has been working on replaces the VGA analog output with DVI digital pins, which allow you to connect to a DVI or HDMI monitor.

As to getting audio in to the HDMI stream... that's an issue. The FM audio chip produces analog output, which would require an ADC and HDMI audio injector to convert back to digital for HDMI video, and this would require some additional components.
Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

TomXP411 wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 5:16 pm
Pop wrote: Tue Jan 16, 2024 7:51 am Could "Not HDMI" be included like it is on the MEGA65, perhaps if not in this generation but the next one? And also include sound in it? Although upon researching it some people have problems with the MEGA65 not HDMI and apparently it doesn't work on all monitors. Maybe it is best to just use a VGA to HDMI converter.
There is at least one user project aimed at this exact thing. The VERA board that Wavicle has been working on replaces the VGA analog output with DVI digital pins, which allow you to connect to a DVI or HDMI monitor.

As to getting audio in to the HDMI stream... that's an issue. The FM audio chip produces analog output, which would require an ADC and HDMI audio injector to convert back to digital for HDMI video, and this would require some additional components.
Actually, I've got a separate dev board where I'm trying to get HDMI working. The board uses a dedicated HDMI transmitter that is capable of encoding the digital audio into the HDMI stream but this doesn't address the issue you mention with FM audio being analog so this would only be able to carry VERA audio over HDMI.

My OPM2151 can output the YM audio as an I2S-encoded digital audio stream. This would require mixing with VERA before sending over HDMI. That complete solution will have to wait for my console form factor design.