VGA to HDMI converters: what works? What doesn't?

Get help from the community & developers with the X16 hardware if you can't find the solution elsewhere
TomXP411

VGA to HDMI converters: what works? What doesn't?

Post by TomXP411 »

This topic is to discuss VGA to HDMI converters. I have an OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter), and have had good luck so far.

However, the X16 isn't perfectly VGA compliant, I have made some minor changes to get things to fit properly:

The image was a bit dark, so with the SMPTE test screen up (MENU, then T), I adjusted the gain to get a little more brightness and make the dark parts of the test pattern visible:
Video in proc
Pre-ADC Gain: 10
Clamp/ALC offset: -3
(everything else is default)

Also, the left side of the screen is cut off. You can adjust the horizontal position by changing the H. synclen and H. backporch:
Sampling Opt
Adv. Timing
640x480
H. synclen: 91 (adjust until the left edge of the letters are visible)
H. backporch: 48 (increase until left side of the screen starts getting cut off, then back off until the letters on left are fully visible)

So far, everything else seems to work fine with the defaults.

Finally, don't forget to save the preset. I use #3, since that's the VGA input button on my remote:
Settings Opt -> Save Profile -> 3
Initial input: AV3_RGBHV

If you have tested the X16 with other converters or devices, post your results here. I'm particularly interested in seeing if anyone has come across a scaler that will convert VGA to 1920x1080 video, so I can use it with my broadcast switcher.
mortarm

Re: VGA to HDMI converters: what works? What doesn't?

Post by mortarm »

Don't know about converting, but "broadcast switcher" caught my eye. What kind of switcher are you using? Video is a bit of a hobby of mine.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

mortarm wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:03 am Don't know about converting, but "broadcast switcher" caught my eye. What kind of switcher are you using? Video is a bit of a hobby of mine.
I am using a BlackMagic ATEM Mini. I actually have two of them, a Pro ISO with 8 inputs, and a smaller unit with 4 inputs.

I also have two OSSC (Open Source Scan Converter) units. The first one I bought appears to have been defective, and it has some "smearing" artifacts. The second one works perfectly, and it shows a really good display on my LCD monitor. However, the display isn't any better than the VGA input on my display, so the OSSC is kind of wasted. It also, unfortunately, does not put out a signal that's compatible with the ATEM Mini.

So at this point, if I want to capture video, I've got to go back to using the cheap HDMI to USB converter. For a $25 purchase, that thing has turned to be amazingly versatile, compared to some other, much more expensive equipment. About the only real problem with these HDMI converters is that they don't actually produce stereo audio. Instead, they produce some sort of weird double-sample-rate mono signal. (From what I understand, it's a driver problem. Regardless, the solution is to use a different device for capturing audio. Which is no problem, since I have several audio interfaces.)

I also really like the Decimator scaler for making things suitable for the broadcast switcher. I have not tried it with the output from my OSSC yet, but it seems to handle about everything else I can throw at it (at least everything that uses HDMI or SDI.)
voidstar

Post by voidstar »

This one works for me (and under $20 for the 1.8M cable, about 6ft):

FOINNEX VGA to HDMI Adapter/Converter Cable with Audio,1080P,Convert VGA Source (PC) in HDMI Connector of Monitor,TV. Active Male VGA-HDMI Out Lead Video Adattatore Cord for Computer,Laptop,Projector

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071SHJ1S3

The audio plug goes right into the X16, easy. You might need an extension for the USB plug, or you can connect the USB to the picoPSU using something like this (remember on the Molex connector, RED is the 5V side and yellow is the 12V side):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/374806020555

I've ordered about 4 different picoPSUs (70-90W) and they all come with little SATA and/or Molex adapter outputs for power. I've used these to power 12V monitors, the speakers, and things like the IEC disk drive adapter, so the system just needs one main power connector to AC outlet.

power_connectors.jpg
power_connectors.jpg (137.49 KiB) Viewed 4299 times

NOTE: for reference
https://github.com/voidstar78/X16_MANUA ... T_REV7.pdf
Still draft, but I should be able to finish it when my Laser3D case finally shows up later this week.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

I'm on the opposite end of the Spectrum here. I just ordered a VGA to S-Video convertor to capture X16 Videos on my old Sony VIAO 635g. I know the X16 can output S-video natively but some of the software changes to VGA. Thus the convertor. The Sony is only a P4 but it has a hardware capture card with builtin MPEG compression
epasveer

Post by epasveer »

I'll add this tidbit, solely because I think the solution is to move to a VGA/hdmi adapter.

Besides the left side of the screen being chopped off, my VGA screen is horizontally "wavey". The image is not stable. Perhaps a bad VGA cable, but I used it elsewhere without problems.

Hopefully this adapter will work.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08GZ159FJ?re ... tails&th=1