Dos Shell

Adiee5

Re: Dos Shell

Post by Adiee5 »

The day of a big update has come!
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

Indeed! The shell has been updated to version 1.4 and it has manpages, image viewer, editor fixes, and uses a config.sh file that you can tailor to your own preferences (set screen mode, colors, etc etc).

:!: the folder where the shell expects the config files, external programs etc is now called SHELL-FILES (it used to be SHELL-CMDS)

Web emulator is not great to run this (has problems with subdirectories it seems) but should run fine in real emulator or on hardware ofcourse.

Thanks to Adiee5 for the man page system and other assistance for this release.
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

Hi.

When I Try It Now and also when I run it in my local emulator, it fails with: 62, FILE NOT FOUND,00,00

I think it may be MOTD that is not found. Could this be because of files with lowercase letters? I tried renaming all files and directories to have uppercase letters, but it still fails :(
Visit my Github repo
or my personal site with CX16/C64/6502 related information.
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
Adiee5

Post by Adiee5 »

JimmyDansbo wrote: Sun Apr 14, 2024 5:26 am When I Try It Now and also when I run it in my local emulator, it fails with: 62, FILE NOT FOUND,00,00
weird, it should work with a regular emulator. at least it works on my emulator. but i guess you can fix the error by removing/commenting this line in config.sh:

Code: Select all

cat //shell-files/:motd.txt
there isn't really anything of value in this file anyway
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

It doesn't work well on the web emulator, I think there are some filesystem incompatibilities. Maybe triggered by the ISO mode. Or maybe path parsing is not working correctly. :roll:

It works fine in the regular emulator and on hardware
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

As I stated earlier, I see the same behavior in both the web emulator and my local R47 emulator.
I have attached a screenshot that may shed a bit of light on the problem?

I am on a linux system and I have renamed all files so they are all caps as I thought that was the issue.
As far as I can see there is something a bit weird going on with the handling of upper- and lower-case letters.
Attachments
shell.jpg
shell.jpg (96.67 KiB) Viewed 213 times
Visit my Github repo
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

I just tried extracting the zip file to a FAT32 formatted SD card and when it is run from there, things are working just fine.
It seems that the issues turn up if shell.prg is run from hostfs (at least on Linux and most likely on MAC as well)

I am not sure if there is an easy fix for this?
Visit my Github repo
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

JimmyDansbo wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 1:53 pm I just tried extracting the zip file to a FAT32 formatted SD card and when it is run from there, things are working just fine.
It seems that the issues turn up if shell.prg is run from hostfs (at least on Linux and most likely on MAC as well)

I am not sure if there is an easy fix for this?
This sounds like a hostfs problem... not parsing relative paths to a file. (Any path that doesn't start with /, like "dir/file.txt" or "..\foo\bar\file.txt").

Maybe ping MooingLemur and get his take on this. This might warrant a fix for the emulator, or the shell might need a minor tweak to work properly with hostfs (although my take is that if the emulator and hardware are different, that's an emulator bug.)
JimmyDansbo

Post by JimmyDansbo »

TomXP411 wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 3:39 pm ...
This sounds like a hostfs problem... not parsing relative paths to a file. (Any path that doesn't start with /, like "dir/file.txt" or "..\foo\bar\file.txt").
I am pretty sure it is not a hostfs problem.
When I extract the zip file to an SDcard image that is formatted with FAT32, it works when I then use that image with the -sdcard option in the emulator, but it also works if I mount that image on my linux system and start the emulator from the root of the mounted directory.

I think that FAT32 is case insensitive and that is most likely the reason it works...
Visit my Github repo
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Also, @desertfish:

"It was printed bye the "SHELL-FILES/config.sh"..."

That should read "It was printed by..."