What case would you put you CX16 board into?

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
Bill Leue

Re: What case would you put you CX16 board into?

Post by Bill Leue »

I am going to hold off selecting a case until my board arrives, hopefully in February, 2024. I have an old PC with an ATX power supply and compatible mobo mounting spots, so I may just use that to get started.

-Bill
Toboter

Post by Toboter »

I find the idea of an X16 in an RGB gaming tower case hilarious, so probably that.
retro_hamster

Post by retro_hamster »

AndyMt wrote: Sun Mar 26, 2023 1:53 pm Eventually I will put mine into my own wedge case design (that's the one for Gen-2):
fronrightB.jpg

I plan to add a compartment in the back to allow space for the DEV board:
CaseX16largeB.png

Those who are interested can find the design on Thingiverse
That case is wonderful. This would make the Commander X16 look like the home micro it tries to honour. Is your model complete now? Does it work? Can you make keycaps with PETSCII or do you need to buy them?
AndyMt

Post by AndyMt »

retro_hamster wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:12 pm That case is wonderful. This would make the Commander X16 look like the home micro it tries to honour. Is your model complete now? Does it work? Can you make keycaps with PETSCII or do you need to buy them?
Thanks! But no - lack of time... I have the extended design kind of ready, but still have to make it "printable" and "assembly-ready"...
Keycaps: one would have to order some from WASD, those would fit on any mechanical keyboard with MX switches (or compatible). Not all mechanical keyboard models are exactly the same, the distances of function keys for example differ. I used a Xtrify Retro TKL keyboard, but don't plan to change the keycaps.
retro_hamster

Post by retro_hamster »

Would be lovely if one could buy the Commander X16 in such an enclosure... but looking at the price of the Mega65 I doubt it would ever be cost effective.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

What we need is a 3DPWay!
Killjoyy27

Post by Killjoyy27 »

AndyMt wrote: Wed Nov 08, 2023 3:09 pm
retro_hamster wrote: Tue Nov 07, 2023 11:12 pm That case is wonderful. This would make the Commander X16 look like the home micro it tries to honour. Is your model complete now? Does it work? Can you make keycaps with PETSCII or do you need to buy them?
Thanks! But no - lack of time... I have the extended design kind of ready, but still have to make it "printable" and "assembly-ready"...
Keycaps: one would have to order some from WASD, those would fit on any mechanical keyboard with MX switches (or compatible). Not all mechanical keyboard models are exactly the same, the distances of function keys for example differ. I used a Xtrify Retro TKL keyboard, but don't plan to change the keycaps.
I just printed the case and just realized the commander x16 not getting to fit in there, did the extension case ever get posted anywhere?
safiire

Post by safiire »

I put mine in a Deep Cool CH370 MicroATX case, looks pretty cool so far, all I've got kicking around here is an 800watt power supply, I was going to put it in there too for maximum humor, but I need to pick up a 24 pin connector somewhere first.

Interested in knowing if it will pull enough current to make the power supply happy or not.