Hello from Carrollton (Dallas, TX)

Come in and say hi. Let us know a little about you and where you heard about the Commander X16 or this forum.
daveculp

Hello from Carrollton (Dallas, TX)

Post by daveculp »

Hello from North Dallas! I grew up in the 80's with a C64. My actual first computer was a TI-99/4a in either 1979 or 1980. I learned BASIC on that and then mowed lawns all summer long in 1983 at the age of 14 to get a C64, 1541 drive and MODEM. I used that C64 from 83 until I joined the Army in 1992. I spent a LOT of time on the MODEM, calling BBSes back in the day and wrote my own BBS software for my C64 and ran it on dual 8050 drives and a 2400 BAUD MODEM.

I have followed the 8-bit-guy for many, many years and the development of the X16 since the video in which he described his dream computer. I also have a Mega65, ZX Spectrum Next and Foenix.

I got my X16 a couple weeks ago but have not really had time to do anything other than go through the SD card, run things and play around a bit in BASIC. I run an afterschool robotics club at my Middle School and we are in the midst of Botball competition season (3 times reigning Texas champions!) and I work literally 7 days a week and everyday after school.

I plan to spend summer vacation writing some games for it (and the Mega65) and what I REALLY want to do is to write BBS software for it and run a BBS once we have a user port I can hook a WiFi modem up to.
mortarm

Re: Hello from Carrollton (Dallas, TX)

Post by mortarm »

> My actual first computer was a TI-99/4a in either 1979 or 1980.

The TI came out in June of '81, so it would've been after that.

> I also have a Mega65, ZX Spectrum Next and Foenix.

I have an X16 and ZXSN (N-go case) and I'm considering getting a Mega65 and Foenix. Would you say there's enough uniqueness to these items to be worth the effort?
daveculp

Post by daveculp »

The Mega65 is a LOT like the Commander X16 and maybe not worth it. The Foenix is a bit different in that it needs a lot more low-level work (OS, BASIC etc...).

Youre right, the 4a came out in 81.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

daveculp wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 6:37 pm The Foenix is a bit different in that it needs a lot more low-level work (OS, BASIC etc...).
If it's missing all that, how do you use it?
daveculp

Post by daveculp »

It isnt missing it, it just isnt as far along or as polished as the Commander X16 or the Mega65. If you like contributing to stuff like that it could be a better machine. It has a usable OS and BASIC it just isnt as polished or as far along as the "big 3" (Mega 65, ZX Next and Commander X16). It also has less people working on those things but those people working on it are very focused.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Gotcha. I have watched a couple of the dev streams and it certainly looks interesting. I'll have to catch up on what's goin' on.