VGA Acer monitor is not recognizing VGA signal

Get help from the community & developers with the X16 hardware if you can't find the solution elsewhere
marinesol

VGA Acer monitor is not recognizing VGA signal

Post by marinesol »

I'm trying to setup my X16 and the Acer monitor I use from 2015 is not recognizing the VGA signal from the X16. I've tried changing VGA cables. The board powers on and I can hear sound when I type through the speakers.

Any advice would be appreciated.

The monitor also has a DVI-D port if that helps.
Black Cardinal

Re: VGA Acer monitor is not recognizing VGA signal

Post by Black Cardinal »

I had the same issue with a 4:3 Sony monitor that I tried to use with my X16. I tried a different VGA cable, which made no difference. In the end I solved it by using a different monitor that seemed to be more tolerant of the slightly non-VGA-compliant signal coming out of the X16. FYI the monitor I am using that works is an NEC EA232Wmi. It's 16:9 so the image is stretched slightly, but it works fine.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Black Cardinal wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 pm I had the same issue with a 4:3 Sony monitor that I tried to use with my X16. I tried a different VGA cable, which made no difference. In the end I solved it by using a different monitor that seemed to be more tolerant of the slightly non-VGA-compliant signal coming out of the X16. FYI the monitor I am using that works is an NEC EA232Wmi. It's 16:9 so the image is stretched slightly, but it works fine.
I have 2 4:3 Dell monitors (15" & 17") that both work ok.
marinesol

Post by marinesol »

Black Cardinal wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2024 9:18 pm I had the same issue with a 4:3 Sony monitor that I tried to use with my X16. I tried a different VGA cable, which made no difference. In the end I solved it by using a different monitor that seemed to be more tolerant of the slightly non-VGA-compliant signal coming out of the X16. FYI the monitor I am using that works is an NEC EA232Wmi. It's 16:9 so the image is stretched slightly, but it works fine.
Alright I have a DVI-D adapter and if that doesn't work I'll try your idea
Black Cardinal

Post by Black Cardinal »

ahenry3068 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:56 am I have 2 4:3 Dell monitors (15" & 17") that both work ok.
To be clear, I don't think that 4:3 or 16:9 matters, it's just that the monitor I had that works is 16:9. What matters is the range of frequencies the monitor can tolerate. I only mentioned it because if someone decided to seek one out knowing that model works, they should be aware that the image would also be stretched.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Black Cardinal wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 8:26 pm
ahenry3068 wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2024 11:56 am I have 2 4:3 Dell monitors (15" & 17") that both work ok.
To be clear, I don't think that 4:3 or 16:9 matters, it's just that the monitor I had that works is 16:9. What matters is the range of frequencies the monitor can tolerate. I only mentioned it because if someone decided to seek one out knowing that model works, they should be aware that the image would also be stretched.
I was kind of doing the same thing. I own 3 Dell Monitors two Flat Panels, one older 19" CRT. They all work with the X16 fine. I've also seen several pictures from other owners with Dells. If someone wants to buy a monitor specifically to use with the X16 I think Dell is a good bet.
AlfredS2

Post by AlfredS2 »

A couple of additional monitor data points; not sure if there's a better place to gather these:
  • Dell U2412Mb: Doesn't work. Seems detect there is a signal in the VGA input but won't display anything. This is a 24" 16:10 monitor from around 2013.
  • HP E190 IPS Elite Display: Works. Doesn't seem to reliably wake up from power save with the VGA signal, but after powering on manually works fine and the picture looks great. This is a 19" 4:3 monitor of an unknown age, bought used for $15 last weekend.
hstubbs3

Post by hstubbs3 »

What other monitors work?

Cuz I just finally sat down with my hardware and of course the only VGA monitor I have on hand is an old Acer I got from a thrift store forever ago....

I don't mind ordering something just was looking forward to this today.
edrive

Post by edrive »

A DELL "Model 1907fpt" (19", max. 1280x1024 - which is 5:4, has VGA & DVI) works just perfect.
Got mine for free from the company I'm working for - they still had some leftovers in the storage.
As we once used many of them in the company, I know that they are pretty reliable.
You might get a used one for small money.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

hstubbs3 wrote: Sat Apr 06, 2024 3:55 pm What other monitors work?

Cuz I just finally sat down with my hardware and of course the only VGA monitor I have on hand is an old Acer I got from a thrift store forever ago....

I don't mind ordering something just was looking forward to this today.
This https://www.ebay.com/itm/145545520098

and This https://www.ebay.com/itm/235182091758

and My DELL M991 (couldn't find a link to one of those again, its a real CRT VGA)

I own two of the 15 inchers. 1 of the 17" and the 19". They all work fine with the X16.