Installing memory chips

Get help from the community & developers with the X16 hardware if you can't find the solution elsewhere
oswaldt

Installing memory chips

Post by oswaldt »

I got my X16 a few weeks ago and after getting acquainted with ti I thought I would install all of the chips, except the additional CPU , at least that is what I think it is. First off I have not ever installed chips in a socket except maybe for a modern CPU which just slides in. Problem is when I try to install a memory chip it doesn't appear to fit in the socket. I tried multiple sockets and the pins just don't line up with the socket. Is there a trick to installing them? Like maybe bending one side of the pins a little inward? i definitely will invest in a chip puller and that is a nail biting process without a handy tool.

thanks
Tyson
Edmond D

Re: Installing memory chips

Post by Edmond D »

New DIPS have the pins spayed outward. One should use a flat surface and slightly & gently bend the pins inward till they are vertical on both sides.

This video has the correct idea - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8anzsNFjxk.

There are tools for bending the pins inward (as well as extraction tools), but if you are only doing in once then these are perhaps overkill.

A final thought is to ask other who may do this type of thing - old electronics people, HAM radio operators, or even repair shops for help.

I always use an anti static mat and strap for circuit board work. If you don't have do ground your self before working with electronics.
oswaldt

Re: Installing memory chips

Post by oswaldt »

Thanks for the tip and video, fringes crossed I don’t damage them.

Tyson