Looking for hardware help with lime iBook

Feel free to talk about any other retro stuff here including Commodore, Sinclair, Atari, Amstrad, Apple... the list goes on!
eekee

Question Looking for hardware help with lime iBook

Post by eekee »

Hiyo! I've got an old iBook; a Key Lime SE rounded with bright green trim. I love it, but it's breaking down and also I want to mod it. (I've heard of a serial port mod which replaces the modem.) I need to ask questions about it, but I've lost any links I had to relevant communities where I can ask about this stuff. Unfortunately, I find it hard to handle the modern, all-singing, all-dancing, stimulation-deluge kind of site, so I'm wondering if anyone could, please, give me links to forums or mailing lists on this topic.
mortarm

Re: Looking for hardware help with lime iBook

Post by mortarm »

eekee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:17 pm I find it hard to handle the modern, all-singing, all-dancing, stimulation-deluge kind of site...
Love the wording, but don't get your meaning. Any examples?
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

mortarm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:26 pm
eekee wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:17 pm I find it hard to handle the modern, all-singing, all-dancing, stimulation-deluge kind of site...
Perhaps something like this - https://webhamster.com
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Whoa! :o 
desertfish

Post by desertfish »

Omg , the hampsterdance site still exists :o
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

desertfish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:54 pm Omg , the hampsterdance site still exists :o
Yes - both treasures and junk accumulates on the internet. In 200 years someone is going to be wondering "what were they thinking?" The vast amount of "data" appearing now due to social media would be confusing for a historian to comprehend or interpret.

To the original post (and poster eekee), perhaps a website like https://www.ifixit.com might be a place to dig for your answer.

Also of note Dave Murray use to do iBook stuff - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_8-Bit_Guy. His 8 Bit Guy Youtube channels still has videos from those days. Take a look. He's moved on from that, so probably wouldn't be the guy to ask for leads.

On a brief aside, I use to help people with low drop out regulator selection in the early 90's on Usenet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#) It came back to haunt me once or twice with people looking for advice, but give Usenet's decline and better devices being created it hasn't bothered me in this century. ;)

Hopefully this info leads to something productive for you...
eekee

Post by eekee »

mortarm wrote: Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:26 pm
Thanks! :) But I made a mistake. I should have had a nap before posting. Instead, when I couldn't think what to type, I fell back on the sort of grumbling I did years ago when UI standards were lower and I was less aware of the nature of my problems. In those days, I thought thought I could lobby for everything to be better. I polished up my writing skills according to my taste for snark, but I find it's not so simple to accurately describe my issues. If webhamster had a center column with serious text I was trying to read, I would of course have a problem, :) but less than you might think because most of the animations are low-detail. One more realistic video can be just as bad; those sites which have a video move to the right margin as you scroll down are not good for me. But, now I've had a look at iFixit, I realise I'm looking for a community rather than articles. UI standards have risen considerably, but I've always been happier with communities I can interact with. Perhaps the biggest part of the problem is that I just can't find things on my own. It's anywhere from draining to impossible to uncover information about devices which aren't the latest and greatest. Wading through pages of search results is worse for me than the hamsterdance, and that's when there even are pages of results.

Edmond D wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pmTo the original post (and poster eekee), perhaps a website like https://www.ifixit.com might be a place to dig for your answer.
Thanks! Unfortunately, entering "ibook key lime se" into their search bar turns up nothing even remotely beginning to think about the possibility of maybe being relevant! ;) One page matched on "key user settings", one on "iBook" and "set", one just on "key", and a solitary news article which mentioned an iPhone SE several times. I don't know if iFixit ever had info on older devices, but it reminds me of sites which buried or deleted their old info at the same time as they modernized their appearance and technology.
Edmond D wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pmAlso of note Dave Murray use to do iBook stuff - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_8-Bit_Guy. His 8 Bit Guy Youtube channels still has videos from those days. Take a look. He's moved on from that, so probably wouldn't be the guy to ask for leads.
Yeah. I asked here on the off-chance he might be active and more organized than me. :) I've twice got a link to an old purple forum, at least once from one of Dave's videos. Both times, I've made sure to save the link in a safe place. Wherever I saved it was obviously very safe, because I've never been able to find it! ;) I'll have to binge-watch his old Mac Guy videos until I find it. (Actually watching a video isn't as bad for me as trying to read with one playing in the corner.)
Edmond D wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pmOn a brief aside, I use to help people with low drop out regulator selection in the early 90's on Usenet (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usenet#) It came back to haunt me once or twice with people looking for advice, but give Usenet's decline and better devices being created it hasn't bothered me in this century. ;)
I've known about Usenet since the 90s, but I tend to forget about it. Perhaps it's just as well. I got on comp.lang.forth just a couple of years ago, and decided I don't like unmoderated groups very much. I got on better with IRC, I'll have to look for channels on oftc & librewotsit.
Edmond D wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pmHopefully this info leads to something productive for you...

Edmond D wrote: Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:04 pm
desertfish wrote: Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:54 pm Omg , the hampsterdance site still exists :o
Yes - both treasures and junk accumulates on the internet. In 200 years someone is going to be wondering "what were they thinking?" The vast amount of "data" appearing now due to social media would be confusing for a historian to comprehend or interpret.
I can't believe webhamster is still online either! I think I was part of the culture which produced it, but I don't know, what were we thinking? :lol:
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

eekee wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:12 pm I got on better with IRC, I'll have to look for channels on oftc & librewotsit.
Don't know how long ago you were there, but it's pretty much deserted these days. Looking around you see a lot of names listed in various rooms, but nobody's talking. Lots of lights, but nobody's home.
eekee

Post by eekee »

mortarm wrote: Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:02 pm
eekee wrote: Wed Apr 03, 2024 3:12 pm I got on better with IRC, I'll have to look for channels on oftc & librewotsit.
Don't know how long ago you were there, but it's pretty much deserted these days. Looking around you see a lot of names listed in various rooms, but nobody's talking. Lots of lights, but nobody's home.
It's just as well; I'm not any better at searching for chat rooms than web pages. Still, sometimes a quiet room will get a bit of activity when someone asks a question. These forums aren't too far off that state. I should probably save a list of results and go through them slowly, a few per day or something. Or I could leave the whole thing until I feel better, but that could be months.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

I'm here almost daily and I always find forums that have new posts. Can't say the same for IRC, but hey, if you do come across an active room let me know. I miss IRC.