3 brothers

Chat about anything CX16 related that doesn't fit elsewhere
JimmyDansbo

Re: 3 brothers

Post by JimmyDansbo »

danboid wrote: Mon Apr 15, 2024 6:37 pm Thanks Jimmy!

Hopefully they'll do another revision of the Otter that doesn't need a bodge but then again, I have no idea what I could use the cartridge slot for? There probably isn't much available in the way of X16 expansions yet are there?
There are no cartridges or cards readily available yet, but thy are being worked on. I know that David has shown a midi/serial card on his channel.
Visit my Github repo
or my personal site with CX16/C64/6502 related information.
Feel free to contact me regarding any of my projects or even about meeting up somewhere near Denmark
danboid

Post by danboid »

I'm surprised that the X16 doesn't have a serial port or UART headers as standard. Both the C64 and VIC20 and I think most of the Commodore machines had a serial port. Most of my cheap TV boxes and SBCs have UART as standard.

I tried emailing VectorHeadArcade a few days ago to ask if they would be producing any more OtterX kits but I've not had a reply yet.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

danboid wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am I'm surprised that the X16 doesn't have a serial port or UART headers as standard. Both the C64 and VIC20 and I think most of the Commodore machines had a serial port. Most of my cheap TV boxes and SBCs have UART as standard.

I tried emailing VectorHeadArcade a few days ago to ask if they would be producing any more OtterX kits but I've not had a reply yet.
I don't know who VectorHeadArcade is ? Wavicle is the developer and builder of the OtterX. He's pretty active on the Discord. As a matter of fact there's even an "OtterX" dedicated channel on Discord. Most of the really active discussion occurs there. I seem to be one of only a few people who do my best to follow both the forum and Discord.
danboid

Post by danboid »

ahenry3068 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:30 am
danboid wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:03 am I'm surprised that the X16 doesn't have a serial port or UART headers as standard. Both the C64 and VIC20 and I think most of the Commodore machines had a serial port. Most of my cheap TV boxes and SBCs have UART as standard.

I don't know who VectorHeadArcade is ? Wavicle is the developer and builder of the OtterX. He's pretty active on the Discord. As a matter of fact there's even an "OtterX" dedicated channel on Discord. Most of the really active discussion occurs there. I seem to be one of only a few people who do my best to follow both the forum and Discord.
VectorHeadArcade are the only people I could find selling the X16 so I presumed it was theirs.

I am supporter of the open internet. I wish people wouldn't use Discord, especially for open source projects.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

danboid wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am

VectorHeadArcade are the only people I could find selling the X16 so I presumed it was theirs.

I am supporter of the open internet. I wish people wouldn't use Discord, especially for open source projects.
Discord is what it is. The fact is that it's where most of the day to day discussion on the Commander X16 is going on. VectorHeadArcade is Wavicle's web site. He posted on Discord yesterday that there should be 5 OtterX kits on sale there this coming week. He's a one man operation (with some help from his kids). He's never going to have huge numbers of these things available at one time. I don't keep up with all the info. But last word I heard there was still stock of Commander X16 Dev boards available at TEXELEC.COM
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

danboid wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am VectorHeadArcade are the only people I could find selling the X16 so I presumed it was theirs.
We literally have a "buy" link on our web site. =)

That leads to a post with the purchase links:

viewtopic.php?t=6772
BruceRMcF

Post by BruceRMcF »

Hopefully they'll do another revision of the Otter that doesn't need a bodge but then again, I have no idea what I could use the cartridge slot for? There probably isn't much available in the way of X16 expansions yet are there?
There are some in the works: Network, MIDI, and Serial cards coming soon
danboid

Post by danboid »

TomXP411 wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 8:52 am
danboid wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am VectorHeadArcade are the only people I could find selling the X16 so I presumed it was theirs.
We literally have a "buy" link on our web site. =)

That leads to a post with the purchase links:

viewtopic.php?t=6772
My bad. I was supposed to write OtterX, not X16.
Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

It isn't likely that I'll do another OtterX through hole kit unless there is a pretty significant demand for it. It was a passion project and I got what I wanted from it. I continue to be amazed by how few support requests for it I have received. I do not recommend it as a first big soldering project, but many novice level hobbyists have purchased it and only two that I know of have had significant issues. 90% of the time it "just works" and it is personally satisfying for me to see people's excited reaction when a computer that they soldered together lights up the first time.

The out of stock condition that has existed until recently was caused by my lack of access to a pick and place machine to assemble OPM2151 chiplets. After several weeks, I gave up and paid my daughter to hand-place components for one panel giving me enough of that part for 18 more kits. Now I'm back to the normal condition where lack of assembled VERAs is limiting me. I've just sold OtterX #49 and I'm still reasonably deep in the red, but I am fairly confident that I'll break even this year, and maybe make a small profit. Whatever the case, I'm getting tired of bins of parts all over my work area.
Wavicle

Post by Wavicle »

danboid wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2024 6:33 am

By incredible coincidence, a guy whose passion is keeping old vector CRT arcade machines working is in the same town as I am and has a solder paste printer, pick and place machine (that sometimes works), industrial reflow oven, etc.. He runs VectorHeadArcade and allows me to use his workshop for the OPM2151 chiplets and his web store for selling OtterX boards.

Because many people were concerned that the VectorHeadArcade web store looked like a "scam", I also sell OtterX boards on Tindie at a small premium.