TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Dacobi

Re: TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Post by Dacobi »

This sounds great. And regarding other improvements, you of course decide what is best, possible and realistic to do.
I'm starting to have a mental picture of the code structure for v2.0, which would include a suggestion I got from a guy on GitHub to allow for each Editor to be detached as its own window.
Not sure if you have multiple monitors but I thought this might help in the case you've been describing about seeing the changes in the Tilemap when editing the Tileset/Selection.
It is however a huge change in the code and it would take a while before I would have something that compiles and runs, so don't know when I'll get around to start working on it.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Yes, being able to display the tilemap and the selection side by side would be an improvement. I had multiple monitors before, but now I have a 4K screen, so I think I could benefit from that.
X2themax

General - CX16 Re: TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Post by X2themax »

Hello,

First of all, I would like to thank you Dacobi for the great Tilemap editor that you wrote !
It's fun to work with the program in Linux.

I found a smaller but interesting bug.
Unfortunately the background color cannot be changed.
If you now want to work with the color light gray, this is impossible given the light gray background.
It would be very nice to add an option to change the background color of the (sprite) editor.

Best regards, keeping on the good work and sorry for my bad English language.

X2themax (Markus)
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

Hello X2themax and thank you for the feedback : )

I'll add your suggestion to the list, but it won't be before v2.0, which I'm hoping to get the time to work on soon™ so that it will hopefully be ready for when the hardware is released.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

X2themax wrote: Fri Dec 15, 2023 12:51 am Hello,
Unfortunately the background color cannot be changed.
If you now want to work with the color light gray, this is impossible given the light gray background.
It would be very nice to add an option to change the background color of the (sprite) editor.
I would think this situation will occur no matter what color the background is, but having the option to change it would, at least, improve the situation.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I would think this situation will occur no matter what color the background is, but having the option to change it would, at least, improve the situation.
The plan is to make it a project setting, so that the user can choose different colors for different projects depending on the palette/etc of the project.

The setting for the Tile "Overlay Text" color already works this way.
Rytikar

Post by Rytikar »

Hi,

thanks for making the tile editor, looks like it's just what I need handling colors, tiles, maps and sprites. I've got it to run on Windows 11 and trying to figure out how it works.
Some thoughts and questions.

With some struggles I created a project, 64x64 map, 16x16 4bpp tiles. Nice.

I tried to import data I have, ported from the C64 game I'm working on. Tilemaped does say:
>> Wrong Tile BPP: "C:\\foo\\bar\\baz.bin"
>> Error Importing TileSet: C:\\foo\\bar\\baz.bin
The ported tileset, map and color palette are straight data loaded into VERA and do work perfectly in the real cx16 program. Must be a format problem?
I added the two extra bytes for the cbm address, although they are not needed for loading assets into cx16. But it didn't help.

Is there a documentation about the available commands and keystrokes, no matter how unfinished? That would help a lot to get started.

The file handling dialog must be one of the weirdest I've seen in a while, I'm really struggling switching drives, directories or in general see where I am or what it will do when pressing open, but ok...

I hope you're still on the project :-)

Thanks and greetings

PS: Looking at you're location, I can nearly shout my questions to you... just some kilometers of sea between us :-)
GTR3QQ

Post by GTR3QQ »

:D
Hi, it's GTR3QQ again.

Is animation planed on future releases? :D
if not, would you add it, if it permits?
This is only a quality of life function and it should be treated with lowest priority.

Like a preview window doing 5FPS or so switching tiles.
It don't have to be able to implemented in exported files, only a preview would do.

I'm having fun redrawing player's structure lines in other softwares.😂
to check if the animate looks right.
Back'n'forth takes time, times adds up.😂

Thank you for your amazing work!
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

Hello Rytikar and GTR3QQ

I've had to take a break from my retro projects due to a medical issue, but I'm hoping to get back to working on them, with a little luck within maybe a month or two.

I've haven't had much focus on import of raw bin files, mostly PNG, and can't remember the exact formula right now, but IIRC the bin file size in bytes should match exactly a NxN grid of Tiles with the same Tile Size and BPP as the project.

As for documentation there's only the Help Guide (F1) and all menu functions show the keyboard shortcut, if there is one.

Animation should absolutely be possible to add as a feature.

As for the File Dialog. TilemapEd uses Dear ImGui, which doesn't have a built-in File Dialog, so the one I'm using is an add-on from a project by a different guy than the main developer of Dear ImGui.
Rytikar

Post by Rytikar »

Thanks Dacobi,

After a bit of struggeling I figured it out. I needed to adapt my thinking, then things started to make sense. I actually like the tool a lot now. Found out about the help function, and it does the trick.
Animation would be nice, now that it had been mentioned.
And bigger maps. I’m porting a 320x512 map. I know, it’s too big for VERA, but it will be loaded in chunks (was quite a fight on the C64, I can tell you, filled a whole disk :-) ). Would be nice to see the whole thing, though…
But not top priority.

And one more thought to the background color. When porting from C64 you start out with the 16 colors the C64 had. CX16 treats color 0 as transparent. So setting the background makes for a color in that case. I can work around the for now, as one color in my C64 palette was unused and I changed it to be background and modified the import, but it would be nice to be able to change the background color.

Thanks for the help.
Last edited by Rytikar on Sat Apr 20, 2024 5:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.