MONOMANIA 1bpp Video Demo

For Scene Demos that display animations, graphics, and music. Also for tech demos of graphics capability of VERA or the audio capabilities of the PSG, FM, or PCM audio channels.
ahenry3068

MONOMANIA 1bpp Video Demo

Post by ahenry3068 »

This was formerly just 1bppdemo (1 bpp Video Demo). I gave it an overly important name :D and a flashy splash screen :roll: .

NEW CODE HERE
MONOMANIA.zip
(15.07 KiB) Downloaded 90 times
This still requires you to download the Google drive download below for the animation frame files. They are collectively to big to post on the forum. The zip is a bit over 100 mb's. The files you need from the below zip have an .A extension.

I will be posting a Youtube video of this running on hardware. I'm transcoding the video now.

Running on HARDWARE:

The video algorithm has been tested on HOSTFS, SD-Card Emulated & Hardware. On HOSTFS it's capable of about 22 fps.
On SD-Card - Emulated I'm a bit short of 10 fps. On Hardware it does better. 13.15 fps on one of my machines, 13.44 on the other.

FWIW The lower frame rate is on DEV0056 running r45. The Higher on PR0007 running r47.

It detects which file system it's on. On HOSTFS it Throttles to 13.2 fps deliberately to emulate hardware performance. It can't tell the difference between emulated SD-Card and HARDWARE SD-Card. On SD-Card it just goes as fast as possible.

File is to Big to include here due to multiple frame animation files. It's posted
on my Google Drive. https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLBm7I ... sp=sharing

SPLASH SCREEN
monosplash.png
monosplash.png (20.04 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
MENU SCREENS
monomenus.png
monomenus.png (18.11 KiB) Viewed 1447 times
A COUPLE OF ANIMATION STILLS
grid.png
grid.png (15.28 KiB) Viewed 1525 times
apple.png
apple.png (6.83 KiB) Viewed 1525 times

HERE IT IS:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1fLBm7I ... sp=sharing
Last edited by ahenry3068 on Wed May 15, 2024 11:17 am, edited 8 times in total.
Edmond D

Re: MONOMANIA 1bpp Video Demo

Post by Edmond D »

ahenry3068 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:52 amBUMP
Did you hit a wall? :D
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Edmond D wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 3:38 pm
ahenry3068 wrote: Wed May 15, 2024 7:52 amBUMP
Did you hit a wall? :D
Yeah, we need the bump,
Gotta have that bump...
Do the bump-de-bump.
do the bump-de-bump.
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

mortarm wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:04 am Yeah, we need the bump,
Gotta have that bump...
Do the bump-de-bump.
do the bump-de-bump.
You make it sound like he is banging his head against the wall. :D
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

I mean, if the thump fits....
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Edmond D wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 2:26 pm
mortarm wrote: Wed May 22, 2024 4:04 am Yeah, we need the bump,
Gotta have that bump...
Do the bump-de-bump.
do the bump-de-bump.
You make it sound like he is banging his head against the wall. :D
I will occasionally feel like doing this. Particularly when I'm drawing a blank on some bug in my code.
But as I value my walls I rarely follow through........... :D
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

I'd be interested in how the animation itself was created.
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

mortarm wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 8:25 pm I'd be interested in how the animation itself was created.
Import Video file into LiVes. --> Resize to 320 x 240 --> Adjust video Frame rate to 13.2

--> Do an encode of the video to any format whatsoever, We aren't going to use this video file,
When LiVes saves a Video file it also pulls all frames as individual PNG's. --> Save Clipset and exit LiVes.

Open GIMP. GIMP needs to have the Video Plugin and Jestin's VERA plugin installed.

Navigate to the LiVes folder holding the PNG files. Drag & Drop the first 1/2 dozen or dozen onto GIMP's Window

Wait for the import process to complete. (I was initially dropping ALL the frames on GIMP, took hours to load), turns out the Video Plugin doesn't need to have all of them loaded. Just enough to tell it where the source frames are. Might work with just the first two frames.

Go to the Video Plugin Menu and choose CONVERT frames. Choose the .BIN extension (which tells GIMP to use the VERA plugin).
When the VERA dialog presents choose VERA Bitmap. Uncheck "Use 2 Byte Header" --> Choose 1 bpp and Save Bitmap. Execute this command. You will also choose dithering at this point. I found "usually" Floyd-Steinberg - Reduce Color Bleeding is best. I have a copy of Steamboat Willie undithered and With this Dithering to illustrate that point. The SMOKE video (undithered) is actually dithered with this the Dithered version uses regular Floyd-Steinberg dithering.

LiVes uses ffmpeg and is Fast. But if I used ffmpeg to convert directly to 1 bpp the frames had the jaggie's. VERA plugin produced better frames, However, GIMP and the VERA Plugin are much slower than ffmpeg. This step can take a couple hours to complete.

Once all the frames are saved. I have a short QB64 program I wrote to concatenate them into a single file. My Video assembly routine has to be told explicitly how many frames to read so I had to keep track of them at this point.

TADA............. Video file created.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Interesting, but I think I was more interested in how the image morphing was done, or was this a converted video as well?
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

mortarm wrote: Thu May 30, 2024 3:31 am Interesting, but I think I was more interested in how the image morphing was done, or was this a converted video as well?
They are all converted videos.