Norton Commander for x16

Talk about your programs in progress. Discuss how to implement features, etc.
Forum rules
This section is for testing Commander X16 programs and programs related to the CX16 for other platforms (compilers, data conversion tools, etc.)

Feel free to post works in progress, test builds, prototypes, and tech demos.

Finished works go in the Downloads category. Don't forget to add a hashtag (#) and the version number your program was meant to run on. (ie: #R41).
Gerry

Re: Norton Commander for x16

Post by Gerry »

I'm new here and I didn't have much experience with Norton software. What about XTree as a model for thumbing through the X16 SD card? I really liked it's interface and I think there's a newer version available now.
If this has already been considered and discarded, then I apologize for repeating it. There's a lot to read here and I'm working on getting up to speed.

Thank you,
Gerry
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Gerry wrote: Tue May 21, 2024 5:59 pm I'm new here and I didn't have much experience with Norton software. What about XTree as a model for thumbing through the X16 SD card? I really liked it's interface and I think there's a newer version available now.
If this has already been considered and discarded, then I apologize for repeating it. There's a lot to read here and I'm working on getting up to speed.

Thank you,
Gerry
:oops: There is (somewhere on this forum) a Norton Commander "Like" file manager. I'm at work so can't do a deep dive right now. I'll check back here later this evening hopefully with a link. :o

Ohhh.......... You know there's an NC clone... !!! You want an XTree clone. It's not a matter of considered and discarded. Most software we've got here is because someone Wanted to do that software. Besides the core system there really isn't an overarching committee. Anyone is free to implement an XTree clone if they want.
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I see. That makes sense as the development of software for the X16 is very organic, as in it's developed on an as needed basis.

I'd like to shift gears for a moment. I've loaded and run UFM on my real X16 and it works as described. I noticed that the UFM supports an SNES style game controller in port 1 and I thought this would be a great way to test my new controllers. But when I plugged one in, the selected screen (either left or right) would flash as the selected listing would pop in and out at about 1 second intervals. I bought two controllers and they both do it, but if no controller is plugged in, the display is quiet and fine. It's definitely related to the controllers.

Any idea as to what this is?

Thank you,
Gerry
unartic

Post by unartic »

Hi Gerry!

I've tested it on hardware with an original SNES controller. I'm not able to reproduce what you are experiencing.

Can you send a short video of what you're seeing?
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Yes I will when I get some time. I'll try to do it tonight.

Thank you,
Gerry
cosmicr

Post by cosmicr »

missed opportunity to call it X16Tree Gold ;)
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

Ha, Ha, very funny. I finally found some time to record on video my issue with UFM and my controllers. My X16 is running version #R47 and to correct myself in the video, I got the Super Controls from Amazon, not eBay.

Can't add the MOV file to this post. Even though I zipped it, it's still 121 MBs in size. How can I get it to you?

Thanks,
Gerry
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

Gerry wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:26 am Ha, Ha, very funny. I finally found some time to record on video my issue with UFM and my controllers. My X16 is running version #R47 and to correct myself in the video, I got the Super Controls from Amazon, not eBay.

Can't add the MOV file to this post. Even though I zipped it, it's still 121 MBs in size. How can I get it to you?

Thanks,
Gerry
I usually put large files on my Google drive and share a link
unartic

Post by unartic »

Gerry wrote: Fri May 31, 2024 4:26 am Ha, Ha, very funny. I finally found some time to record on video my issue with UFM and my controllers. My X16 is running version #R47 and to correct myself in the video, I got the Super Controls from Amazon, not eBay.

Thanks,
Gerry
Send you a pm :-)
Gerry

Post by Gerry »

I checked the SNES controllers with the Joytest.prg test program and both controllers have the select button closed all the time. That is what was causing the problem. I've contacted Amazon to return and get a refund on these crap controllers. Stopped off driving to work at Micro Tech this afternoon and picked up a replacement SNES controller. Hopefully, the new one works right.

Thank you,
Gerry