Classic Video Game - Forum Guessing Game

Talk about anything not remotely related to retrocomputing here!
Strider

Post by Strider »

Keeping the NES theme going.

1. This game was based on a popular licensed IP, but it's story was actually unrelated to that IP. There was an arcade version as well, but it was also a completely different game, even though it shared the same name and IP.

2. The arcade version of the game got generally good reviews, but it's NES counterpart did not fare nearly as well, with mostly mediocre and poor reviews. It was lumped into a "clone" category as many games of it's type did back then.

3. It wasn't until much later, in retrospect, that the game got some overdue notoriety. Featuring a unique colorful graphic style that changes when in battle, fun enemies and bosses, and a good soundtrack. Many people found the overall game to be quite enjoyable.

4. You fight with both a sword and magic, and can even transform yourself. The game is actually quite long, but in a good way. You defiantly got your monies worth out of it.

To this day it's one of my many favorites, as is the IP it was based on.?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

I know it - gonna hold off for a bit.

Strider

Post by Strider »

Also released on the Commodore Amiga, with generally poor reviews?

The IP in question was created by two of the most well known names in the industry, especially at this time?

?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

The arcade version uses a YM2151. I bet the Commander X16 could do a near-perfect port.

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

Does it perchance involve trochaic tetrameter?

ZeroByte

Post by ZeroByte »

I just looked up a video of the Amiga version, and omg it's awful.

Strider

Post by Strider »

I played through both the arcade and NES versions recently, and watched the movie. Still one of my favorite fantasy adventure films, and one of the "best of the 80's" in my opinion. So many good films of that type back then.

Even though the arcade and NES versions are vastly different in every aspect, I still like both. The arcade follows the film, looks great, and is a lot of fun. The NES really only uses the characters from the film, but is a fun RPG adventure title in it's own right.

I never played the Amiga version back then, I only tried it out recently, and yeah... awful! ?

Snickers11001001

Post by Snickers11001001 »

Strider... good one.    I remember watching some play-throughs of the NES version on youtube some time ago, and laughing at what the 'changes in battle' effect did to their video compression.   Artifacts galore!   LOL.    

John Chow Seymour

Post by John Chow Seymour »

Ohhhhhh, I finally got it.  It took me way too long, but it was @kelli217's trochaic tetrameter clue that finally turned the lightbulb on.

Since Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers never had a movie (as far as I know), it must be...

teenage_mutant_ninja_turtles_2xSGFS.png

Just kidding of course. As you likely know, I got that from xkcd, which also helped with the trochee clue.

The only thing that's throwing me off is...

On 9/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, Strider said:

You fight with both a sword and magic, and can even transform yourself.

I never played any TMNT video game, but I don't recall any magic in the MNT universe, or transformations. 

So maybe I haven't guessed correctly!

Kalvan

Post by Kalvan »

On 9/6/2021 at 6:32 PM, Strider said:

Keeping the NES theme going.

1. This game was based on a popular licensed IP, but it's story was actually unrelated to that IP. There was an arcade version as well, but it was also a completely different game, even though it shared the same name and IP.

2. The arcade version of the game got generally good reviews, but it's NES counterpart did not fare nearly as well, with mostly mediocre and poor reviews. It was lumped into a "clone" category as many games of it's type did back then.

3. It wasn't until much later, in retrospect, that the game got some overdue notoriety. Featuring a unique colorful graphic style that changes when in battle, fun enemies and bosses, and a good soundtrack. Many people found the overall game to be quite enjoyable.

4. You fight with both a sword and magic, and can even transform yourself. The game is actually quite long, but in a good way. You defiantly got your monies worth out of it.

To this day it's one of my many favorites, as is the IP it was based on.?

Willow.