Modern Computing Chat

This is where we discuss our modern PCs, Raspberry Pis, Macs, and smart-whatevers.
Travis Bryant moore

Modern Computing Chat

Post by Travis Bryant moore »

I'm excited about the third gen 8cx laptop made using 5nm technology. https://www.windowscentral.com/lenovo-thinkpad-x13s-announce-snapdragon-8cx-gen-3

Strider

Modern Computing Chat

Post by Strider »

Random thought...

I was sitting here, letting Steam update a game (No Man's Sky), and as I was watching it download, I was once again struck by how far we've come... And my speeds are slow compared to some.

download-speed.jpg.1fdd08c524fc519299683044eac225e0.jpg

To  download 6.8GB of data, extract that data and patch 12.4GB, all in just a couple minutes. Growing up dealing with kilobits and kilobytes and having to wait MUCH longer makes me marvel how much has changed in my lifetime, and appreciate it so much more than most I think. ?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
neutrino

Modern Computing Chat

Post by neutrino »

On 9/24/2021 at 2:44 AM, Scott Robison said:

Kind of makes me feel sorry for the car guys who can't exactly emulate the classic cars they'd love to own.

Modern measurement techniques and CNC can enable bringing them back albeit for a price unlike software only emulators. Besides those cars will not be beholden to spare part monopoly.

On 9/25/2021 at 1:09 AM, kelli217 said:

There’ll be something crucial that is only existent in the original vehicle.

What would hinder a replication?

On 11/23/2021 at 6:20 AM, Tatwi said:

this modest and cheap computer can run thousands of genuinely useful programs/games on battery power, for hours at a time.

Will be great now that nuclear power is being shut down.. ?

Bring out the hand-cranked generators for the laptop..

On 11/23/2021 at 6:53 AM, Tatwi said:

It's been Chromebooks since our eldest was in third grade and now that she's in 10th grade, it's the only computer she wants to use. Really, it's the only one she needs too. I wonder if Microsoft even sees this on the horizon.

I hope kids gets in on the free-Unix thing since both Microsoft and Google are American corporations with goals not compatible with a happy feature.

On 12/19/2021 at 4:42 AM, Strider said:

Amazes me how much heat modern hardware produces sometimes,

Try water cooling?

Also the energy bill might be expensive.

On 11/8/2022 at 8:29 PM, Strider said:

Growing up dealing with kilobits and kilobytes and having to wait MUCH longer makes me marvel how much has changed in my lifetime, and appreciate it so much more than most I think. ?

It's crazy ?

Especially chip geometries smaller than the wavelength of gamma radiation photons. Something I thought of are the computerized phones aka "smartphones" which have like CPU ~2 GHz, RAM ~2 GB, ~32 GB storage. Maybe they can be repurposed if control of the bootloader can be accomplished and some useful wired network options can be had? Imagine a 19" rack of them..

kelli217

Modern Computing Chat

Post by kelli217 »

On 11/8/2022 at 5:50 PM, neutrino said:

What would hinder a replication?

Remember what I initially said: A classic car that you could recreate completely from scratch, from the frame up, using third-party replacement parts. That precludes there being an existing car to use for parts, or any new-old-stock or other OEM parts. It also precludes fabricating any parts yourself.

Cyber

Modern Computing Chat

Post by Cyber »

On 11/10/2022 at 5:41 AM, kelli217 said:

Remember what I initially said: A classic car that you could recreate completely from scratch, from the frame up, using third-party replacement parts. That precludes there being an existing car to use for parts, or any new-old-stock or other OEM parts. It also precludes fabricating any parts yourself.

Car kits are somewhat close to this.

neutrino

Modern Computing Chat

Post by neutrino »

@kelli217 Cars are way more than computers a victim of entropy ie wear. So eventually there will be no old car that can be used for parts nor any new-old-stock. And so people might still desire the car or other retro object. And will have to fabricate them using the old drawings or (3D) precision measurements.

What will remain is the blue prints ie the information about the car. All else will decay.

kelli217

Modern Computing Chat

Post by kelli217 »

On 11/10/2022 at 4:24 PM, neutrino said:

@kelli217 Cars are way more than computers a victim of entropy ie wear. So eventually there will be no old car that can be used for parts nor any new-old-stock. And so people might still desire the car or other retro object. And will have to fabricate them using the old drawings or (3D) precision measurements.

What will remain is the blue prints ie the information about the car. All else will decay.

ok

Edmond D

Modern Computing Chat

Post by Edmond D »

On 11/10/2022 at 2:24 PM, neutrino said:

The desire to own a specific item will remain long after getting one is reasonably possible. In the X16 case, the desire to get a unit is high, and the probability of one in the future is looking good. ?

Strider

Hardware Re: Modern Computing Chat

Post by Strider »

Well, I've been quite busy lately, and I still managed to find time to upgrade me computer. :lol:

I decided to pretty much max out my B450 motherboard, but not break the bank in the process.

Upgraded to a Ryzen 5600 and RX 6600 GPU. The AM4 platform has already given be several years of use, this final upgrade will keep me happy for a few more years. Plus, entry level Ray Tracing is kinda cool, but not something I'm all that interested in.
  • Ryzen 2600, to 3600, to 5600
  • 16GB to 32GB
  • RX 580 to RX 6600
A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!