MMBASIC ported to Pi Pico

This is where we discuss our modern PCs, Raspberry Pis, Macs, and smart-whatevers.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

This is really work a look-see, as Maximite BASIC is a pretty powerful BASIC interpreter. 

https://hackaday.com/2021/11/24/picomite-gives-your-pico-a-basic-with-all-the-features/

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

Very cool.

desertfish

Post by desertfish »

I guess this is cool and all, but why use this if there's already MicroPython? Honest question.

Scott Robison

Post by Scott Robison »

On 12/8/2021 at 6:30 PM, desertfish said:

I guess this is cool and all, but why use this if there's already MicroPython? Honest question.

Because you prefer MMBASIC? Why use any language when you can hand assemble code. ?

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

I like all products from MMBasic line, and I followed Picomite project from beginning. I use it, and I like how it turned out. 

On 12/9/2021 at 3:30 AM, desertfish said:

why use this if there's already MicroPython?

Well, the very first real and honest reason for me is I love BASIC. And with MMBasic I can create really powerful stuff, which can be usefull in the modern world, but at the same time have a nostalgic feel of the 80's.

Also I like how MMBasic products are built. Everything you need is on-board. There is a full screen text editor which is implemented over serial connection using escape codes. You just need a VT-100 like terminal to be able to do anything with the thing.

Even when your MCU is already running in production conrolling things, you can connect to device, make changes in the source code, and run it again. Very self sufficient.

Cyber

Post by Cyber »

There is another MMBasic project in the works - VGAMite. It is based on STM32F411 Black Pill and features monochrome VGA 640x480 output, PS/2 keyboard input and SD card for storage. It is still work in progress, but it already works. This MCU with MMBasic is like a complete computer. ) And Black Pill is very cheap.

TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

On 12/8/2021 at 5:30 PM, desertfish said:

It literally says why in the article. 

Besides, MMBASIC is compatible with the Maximite BASIC devices already out there. While it's not hugely popular (mostly because Geoff kept the software closed source), the Maximite is a great tool for casual programming. The Maximite is a stand-alone, BASIC computer. As far as I'm aware, there aren't any stand-alone Python computers, Micro or otherwise. 

And honestly, I just don't like Python very much. I've been learning it recently, to use it for a couple of projects, and I keep coming up against stupid limitations that make it impossible to use for production software. So I'm about to dump all my python code in the demagnetizer and go back to c# or move to c++ for my active projects. As for for-fun projects, I'm considering getting a Maximite 2 board, although they're a little hard to come by right now. 

SlithyMatt

Post by SlithyMatt »

On 12/9/2021 at 12:40 AM, Cyber said:

There is another MMBasic project in the works - VGAMite.

This is what happens when we allow Australians to name things.

kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

On 12/8/2021 at 11:40 PM, Cyber said:

monochrome VGA 640x480 output

Also known as 'MCGA output' ? 

Tatwi

Post by Tatwi »

Being as objective, honest, and thoughtful as possible, I am 100% certain that I would actually use a Colour Maximite 2 more than a Commander X16, because being able to do cool stuff with "just BASIC" is all I really want from a retro computer. Along those lines, I think the VGAMite is the perfect system to power a modern PET (or 70s terminal or Fallout) inspired computer, because it would look amazing when paired with a CRT and its BASIC environment is extremely powerful, yet... basic! It's also small enough to mount inside almost anything and inexpensive enough to wreck a few of them in the process lol...