Atomic Pi Projects

This is for products with a physical and digital component. Things like an Arduino based emulator of a 1970s mainframe, a toaster that butters your bread, or even a homebrew computer.
Strider

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Strider »

I just ordered an Atomic Pi Dev Kit, can't beat the $40 price tag. Basically, an Intel Atom based quad-core x86 SBC with a top speed of 1.92GHz, 2GB DDR3L RAM, and 16GB built in eMMC flash memory. SD-Card, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, USB 3, GPIO, and everything you expect and need.

api.jpg.81c70cb12e2c0d905588a6ce10f6ab92.jpg

Here is all you need to know:

Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08CGFM2B1/

FAQ: https://www.digital-loggers.com/api_faqs.html

These were originally made to power a failed robot and remade as the Atomic Pi, or so I have read, though I have also found a kickstarter for it. So I really have no idea where they got their start, but there is a lot of support for them out there.

That all being said, I will be trying to run different OS's on mine, as well as trying out various types of emulation. You know, just for fun, becasue I need yet another SBC .... lol

What would you do with one? Any ideas?

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
TomXP411

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by TomXP411 »

Are they down to $40? When they first came out, they were a bit more expensive and hard to get. 

I may have to get one now that they've come down to a reasonable price. Personally, I want to build a little DOS dev/gaming machine that can also act as a terminal for RS-232 devices. 

Depth505

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Depth505 »

I bought one too.  Dev kit with big breakout board, camer module and A PI is on AMazon for $39.  Imgoing to install Windows 10 IOT Core on mine and use it to connect my 3d printer over wifi.   Originally was going to pi a PI zero 2w and run octopi but Im not paying $50+ dollars for a $15 dollar board.  A pi is overkil maybe but I can use for something else later

TomXP411

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by TomXP411 »

So I got mine.. it's bigger than I expected. I don't really have any good use cases for it, so it will probably sit in its box for a bit longer. 

One note: the included OS is kind of messed up. Don't even bother booting from the internal EMMC. Get a Micro-SD card and install the Ubuntu distro from their web site. It works and looks much better, and you need it to make the sound work (assuming you want sound.) 

This will probably end up driving a portable PC project, maybe my Fake Kaypro...

Strider

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Strider »

Mine just arrived as well. Won't have time to dig into it until next weekend, but I can't wait. I'm going to play around with emulation on it, and I want to see how far back in the Windows line I can get to run on it, all just for fun. To be honest, not 100% sure what it will end up doing full time, but I'll think of something!

A classic geek & family man who enjoys all things retro! Computers, hardware, games, electronics, etc. Expert at nothing, professional hobbyist, and old-school blogger!
Strider

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Strider »

Update: Mine was faulty, seems it was damaged in shipping. They issued me a refund because they had none in stock. Well, they're back in now and I just ordered my replacement. Hopefully with better luck this time.

Strider

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Strider »

My new one arrived over a week ago, but I haven't had time to do anything with it until today, but, installing Ubuntu on a new 120GB SSD that I plan on running it off of. I will use the eMMC and an SD card as "extra" storage.

Also ordered a USB 2.0 hub for it since the 3.0 will be used by the SSD. Once I get Ender 3 printer figured out, I will work on creating a case for everything to go into.

I plan on putting this Atomic Pi through it's paces, but in the end, I think it's going to be setup as a simple "bench" PC, freeing up my Raspberry Pi 4. I will use it to run my Espotek Labrador, Logic Analyzer, and the Hantek oscilloscope I also just ordered. ?

IMG_20220312_152332783.thumb.jpg.b51411c30b65d10661f1f1a7ea63097e.jpg

UPDATE 3-13-22: I had a TON of issues, turns out, the Genesis style USB hub I was using was the source. Go figure, it is many years old now. I got a new 2.0 hub and it;s working as intended now!

Got Ubuntu installed on the 120GB SSD, hooked up via a USB 3.0 Sabrent adapter. Also working good. Also noticed I can't disable the eMMC or it wont boot. If there is no bootable OS on the eMMC, it won't boot off USB. I'm at a loss on that one. So I have a backup install of Ubuntu on the eMMC, but not mounted.

api02.jpg.fd59eb7fbf78c5bc14d4b888e138e363.jpg

SSAtomicPi.jpg.6f470f1629620447ba7cb87fdd57b9f8.jpg

Powering it off my little DIY buck converter/booster, until I order it's own PSU (Still need to add an on\off toggle). ?

Seems to draw about 1.2A at idle, 1.5A to 1.6A when working, and about 2.0A under load. I may use a BT keyboard/mouse combo instead of USB, save on the power draw since an oscilloscope and logic analyzer will be hooked up eventually. Then I can get away with a 3A PSU instead of 4A. We'll see. Just ordered a set of antennas for it.

diy-psu-2.jpg.e9e72000b2a9b33a8971611d1138b2c9.jpg

@TomXP411 How's your working?

TomXP411

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by TomXP411 »

On 3/12/2022 at 2:02 PM, Strider said:

How's your working

It's back in the box... it doesn't seem to have any advantages over using a Pi or a desktop PC. So I feel like I wasted money buying it.

Strider

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Strider »

On 3/14/2022 at 3:25 AM, TomXP411 said:

It's back in the box... it doesn't seem to have any advantages over using a Pi or a desktop PC. So I feel like I wasted money buying it.

Honestly, it's only qualities are it's small size and that it's a decent x86 SBC for a low price. I don't see me using it's GPIO. So I totally understand that. ?

I wanted one "thing" to plug all my hobby tools into, Arduino projects, analyzers, scopes, or whatever new toy I may buy thinking I need it. Right now that task is spread across my desktop PC and Pi 4. All the software I want to use is available on Linux and Windows, but not all for the Pi, so moving to this x86 board fits my one very specific need. It also had to fit into a very small area, so no using a second desktop PC or laptop, and those are much more expensive options anyway.

I will play around with it first, see what it can run, but that's only becasue I want to tinker. lol

Edit: Looking around for info on the included camera. I want to wire it up with a standard USB cable to use on other projects (found that too), I found the failed robot the Atomic Pi was supposed to power and some other very basic info.

The camera has really good image quality for 1080P, so I may use it on my Ender, or maybe as a WiFi camera, we will see. It's also good for object tracking and recognition software obviously, since that's what it was made for. Also, looks like it was designed in 2017? Company founded in 2002? No idea on that.

Got to make use of it since I have it. ?

Later Edit (4/18/22): I may have found brothers to the Atomic Pi, they are Mini-PC's labeled as Intel "Z83V", either made or branded by various manufacturers. They all seem to have the same 2GB RAM, come in 16/32/64GB eMMC storage versions, and add more connectivity. So things like this were sold as cheap "mini pc's", and that makes much more sense than a full custom computer for a robot. Just modify a current platform to meet your needs.

Strider

Atomic Pi Projects

Post by Strider »

Well, all that's left is to make a case for it all to go in. ?

I have it running like I want, all the software has been loaded and tested, and only have two more modifications to make (add a momentary power button & speakers).

I got rid of the expansion board and made my own power board and supply to save space (wasn't going to use it anyway). Attached a USB 2.0 port and hub. Added Wifi and Bluetooth antennas.

I was going to re-task it as an SDR PC, but decided to keep it as my "bench computer" becasue it just works so well with this configuration.

It's getting there, slowly.... It sucks having so little time to do things.

ap-psu-main.jpg.0fb559ba42ca2e55f92a9cc48119b42a.jpg

ap-psu-front.jpg.39fb3d732a34e2d28bb90f16aab72d40.jpg

ap-2.jpg.5bb67f67536982531a430422d9bebb64.jpg

ap-screen.jpg.0a453108a8e5b8565ef53dbdee447516.jpg