We seem to be up

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
TomXP411

General - CX16 We seem to be up

Post by TomXP411 »

It looks like the forum is working and stable. If you have problems, please report them in the Web Site Feedback And Support topic area.

Yes, inline images and text formatting are a mess. I blame the previous software, which used complex HTML tags when something much simpler should have been used. I'll be addressing that over time by using a custom script to read broken posts and try to convert images and formatting to BBCode. This will be a slow process and may only be done to a few posts at a time, at first. This is because I have to do the work offline on a cached copy of the database, then use SQL scripts to update the data here.

We will also have to do a similar procedure to get the downloads section straightened out. We have all the files, but the directory structure is not compatible with phpBB. So I have to copy the files into a phpBB compatible layout, then edit all the attachments to point to the new file locations. I know how to do it; it's just going to take a little time to actually get the work done. I hope to open the download section for new files this weekend, then get the old files in place next week.

In the meantime, discuss! The forums are open; feel free to start new conversations and reply to old ones.
Edmond D

Re: We seem to be up

Post by Edmond D »

Congratulations for moving the forum to a new site & system! It's a huge task! I'm sure that everyone appreciates the work done so far and the commitment to continue to import and improve the site & community.
Main Administrator
Site Admin

Post by Main Administrator »

Downloads are now up.

Everyone, if you have uploaded a file (or files) here, please edit your post to clean up the text, and confirm that your uploaded program will work with R41 of the emulator.

Starting next week, we will be removing downloads that do not work on the latest emulator version. In the meantime, if you can add something like "R41 Working" to your post, then we'll know to keep it up, and that will save us some time reviewing and filtering each file.

Thanks
mobluse

Post by mobluse »

Main Administrator wrote:
> Downloads are now up.
>
> Everyone, if you have uploaded a file (or files) here, please edit your
> post to clean up the text, and confirm that your uploaded program will
> work with R41 of the emulator.
>
> Starting next week, we will be removing downloads that do not work on the
> latest emulator version. In the meantime, if you can add something like
> "R41 Working" to your post, then we'll know to keep it up, and
> that will save us some time reviewing and filtering each file.

I cannot edit my posts under Downloads. All my programs are working in R41.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

mobluse wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2023 4:06 am I cannot edit my posts under Downloads. All my programs are working in R41.
Yeah, I've figured out the problem, and it's not one we can easily solve.

It seems like the php engine has different security than the FTP account I used to upload the files, and the tools I have available on the hosting site won't let me change the owner of the files. And it appears that phpBB will not alter any files that phpBB didn't create.

So we're stuck. This means we will have to remove all the legacy attachments from the Downloads section and instead host the files outside of the forum environment. I'm going to create a static page that will link to all of the existing files with the description and filename from the old forum; then we will decide whether to keep the existing forum posts or remove them.

I'm working on this now; I'll probably have a solution in the next day or two. In the meantime, feel free to upload your files with a new post, and use the "Report" button on your old post. Just put something like "Dupe. Please remove." in the report, and I'll take care of it. (I have to remove it at the database level.)
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

[quote=TomXP411 post_id=25320 time=1673849357 user_id=1005]
It seems like the php engine has different security than the FTP account I used to upload the files, and the tools I have available on the hosting site won't let me change the owner of the files. And it appears that phpBB will not alter any files that phpBB didn't create.
[/quote]

The strange thing about this is that I actually edited the description of "Rally Speedway" here on the new forum without any problem. But now when I try again to add the requested hashtag - as you say - I get an error. But how come it worked for a while?
Last edited by Johan Kårlin on Thu Jan 19, 2023 2:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Johan Kårlin wrote: Thu Jan 19, 2023 10:58 am The strange thing about this is that I actually edited the description of "Rally Speedway" here on the new forum without any problem. But now when I try again to add the requested hashtag - as you say - I get an error. But how come it worked for a while?
It may have been that your initial edit to Rally Speedway was before I hooked up the attachments.
Johan Kårlin

Post by Johan Kårlin »

Yep, that's it. I get it. Thanks for your work : ).