TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Dacobi

Re: TilemapEd, Tilemap editor for the X16

Post by Dacobi »

Just leave it for now : ). You can always reconsider in the future when you see how people are using the tool.
I'll make a note on the back of my TODO list : )
Right now the plan is to finish the "Color Offset" code and then get back to working on the game.
DusanStrakl

Post by DusanStrakl »

I see you clarified it already so i don't need to add much to it.

I did make a comparison of different modes in my blog posts long time ago:
https://www.8bitcoding.com/p/tiles-in-a ... asics.html
https://www.8bitcoding.com/p/tiles-in-b ... and-1.html
https://www.8bitcoding.com/p/tiles-in-b ... s-2-4.html

There are three use cases I can think of:
  • Quick prototyping when one wants to just use the default "text" mode to try some concepts. Especially in BASIC where you just need to upload new tileset/character set and use normal PRINT command to display alternate tiles.
  • To port games from C64 as this is the most similar mode to standard C64 character/tilemode with 2 colors out of 16 per foreground/background.
  • When you are really tight on space in VRAM as it only uses 8 bytes per tiles/character vs. e.g 32 bytes in 4 BPP mode.
But in principle I agree, most games will probably use 4 BPP mode and in some cases perhaps 8 BPP or 2 BPP.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

But in principle I agree, most games will probably use 4 BPP mode and in some cases perhaps 8 BPP or 2 BPP.
In any case I won't be looking into it at this point. I'd have to write new versions of almost all internals of TilemapEd plus the actual editing interface.
But maybe some day if it seems worth the effort and I have the time.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded version 1.8.142, where the "Color Offset" feature now is complete.

TileSets, Sprites and Sprite Frames can be imported with a "Color Offset" and one can be applied to the existing TileSet and selected Tiles as well as existing Sprites and selected Sprite Frames.

This was the last item on my feature wish list, so now I'm just waiting for SDL3 to be released so I can start working on version 2.0.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

Fate has just had it's way with me and put me in a position where I actually need 1 bpp tilemaps : )
I'm just not sure when I'll get the time to implement it, but I understand the situations where VRAM shortage makes 1 bpp tilemaps an attractive option.

I think what I might end up doing is making a stripped down mode for BPP 1. No Selection Editor and no import functions. Then for editing "Left Mouse Click" will set a pixel "On" and "Right Mouse Click" will set it "Off".
For the 256 Color mode the Palette can be used to select the current color.
For 16/16 Colors mode I'd make a hovering dialog kind of like the current Palette Offset dialog, but with two lines of 16 numbers, where foreground and background colors can be selected quickly.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded version 1.8.145 to GitHub, which has a few bugfixes.

The Clipboard and Brushes for TileMaps didn't get updated on TileSet Tile removal or reordering.

When using the "CreateNewProject" Dialog an empty TileSet was always created, when the "Create/Import TileSet" checkbox was not checked.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded version 1.8.149 to GitHub, which has some feature updates.

The TileSet Window now has a "Maximize" mode, where it can be as large as the user wishes.
When maximized the "TileSet Edit" menu only contains one item, which is "Tile Scale".
The reason for this is to help with tileset reordering etc. on very large tilesets.

Another update is that the Dear ImGui "imgui.ini" file is now saved to and loaded from the Project folder.
This means that e.g. the maximized state of the TileSet window is saved for each project.
Before the "imgui.ini" file was always created automatically in the current working directory.

A screenshot of the new TileSet window:
tilesetmax.png
tilesetmax.png (60.24 KiB) Viewed 138647 times
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

I just uploaded version 1.8.152, which has a few tweaks and updates.

The TileSet size can no longer exceed 1024 Tiles. When this size is reached all Tile Create/Import functions are disabled. If importing a TileSet reaches this limit then not all Tiles will be imported.

The "TileSet Edit" menu in "Maximize" mode now has a new option "Reset Window", which will maximize the TileSet window again, if the size/position has been changed.

The maximized size of the TileSet loaded from "imgui.ini" will be checked against the Window size on program startup and Project load.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Dacobi wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 7:03 am Then for editing "Left Mouse Click" will set a pixel "On" and "Right Mouse Click" will set it "Off".
If you just used one button as a pixel toggle, that would leave the other button for some other purpose, and would make the workflow a bit easier.
Dacobi

Post by Dacobi »

If you just used one button as a pixel toggle, that would leave the other button for some other purpose, and would make the workflow a bit easier.
There wouldn't be much else to do with the right mouse button in the Tile Editor in BPP 1 mode, but I think you are correct that your idea of just using the left mouse button to toggle the state of pixels would make for an easier workflow than using Left/Right to set the pixels On/Off.

It will probably still be a while before I get the time to start working on BPP 1 mode.
I've been thinking about different parts of the code that could use some refactoring and about various abstractions which would make it a lot easier to implement BPP 1 mode.
So it might end up being a part of TilemapEd version 2.0