DIY SNES/Uzebox/X16 arcade joystick

This is for products with a physical and digital component. Things like an Arduino based emulator of a 1970s mainframe, a toaster that butters your bread, or even a homebrew computer.
danboid

DIY SNES/Uzebox/X16 arcade joystick

Post by danboid »

Yesterday I made this fantastic X16 compatible (hopefully) arcade joystick:
Uzebox-arcade-stick.jpg
Uzebox-arcade-stick.jpg (172.24 KiB) Viewed 4428 times
For more details see its thread on the Uzebox forum:

https://uzebox.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11226
Kevin Murphy Games

Re: DIY SNES/Uzebox/X16 arcade joystick

Post by Kevin Murphy Games »

That looks great.

Very reminiscent of the real arcade cabinet joysticks i used to use.
danboid

Post by danboid »

Thanks Kevin!

It'll be interesting to see how many other people build one of these. If you can print the case cheaply enough then its much better value than paying £70+ for a Super Advantage stick off ebay.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

You can also get DIY kits from Amazon and other places, so 3D printing isn't the only solution.

Personally, I've found the Mayflash F300 to be a pretty decent deal, as you get a quality case and quality buttons. You can strip out the electronics and then just hook up the buttons to your SNES pad...
danboid

Post by danboid »

I can see how how the Mayflash could be a better option if you can't print the case for free like me but I absolutely prefer the DIY aesthetic of mine, all day, plus my joystick is almost half the price if you can print the case for free somewhere.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

danboid wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 6:13 pm I can see how how the Mayflash could be a better option if you can't print the case for free like me but I absolutely prefer the DIY aesthetic of mine, all day, plus my joystick is almost half the price if you can print the case for free somewhere.
Oh, you're not wrong - I like that case. I don't have a 3D printer or a laser cutter (Yet - I want to get both), so my only choice is to buy pre-made stuff and take it apart, or make stuff by hand from raw materials - which pretty much limits me to wood or hand-cutting acrylic with a jigsaw.