Will YMF825 (SD-1) be the ultimate answer to YM2151 (and maybe ymf262)shortage?

If you have feature requests, this is the place to post them. Please note your idea may already be something we have already discussed and decided against, or something we are working on privately, and we cannot be held responsible for any similarities in such instance. Whilst we cannot respond to every suggestion, your idea will be read and responded to where possible. Thank you for your input!
FavoritoHJS

The SD-1 is dead... but DSP chips are not dead yet?

Post by FavoritoHJS »

Sorry for committing thread necromancy, but i have a question, would a dedicated DSP chip (because those still exist for some reason) be cheaper than an FPGA large enough to hold an OPM emulation?

If so, I wonder if you could program a DSP chip so it can do "frequency" (read: phase) modulation, then paper over the differences for compat. with old software with some glue logic - ideally in the VERA FPGA, but if simple enough small external GAL would work as well.
everything is so broken building anything is like building on a pile of sand -me 5 dec. 2023
VERA suggs: Extra PSG Waves(viewtopic.php?t=6923) Togg Opacity and Bitmap Fine Addr.(viewtopic.php?t=6981)
FavoritoHJS

Re: SD-1 [...] More thinking about what would be required.

Post by FavoritoHJS »

After some thinking... yea no. To keep up with a single OPL3 will require calculating an operator in 8 cycles or less - good luck doing that with a DSP that isn't more expensive than an FPGA solution... unless you can get the DSP running at 6x input clock speed?

After all, most DSPs, even cheap ones (such as a Microchips dsPIC33 or a Texas Instruments TMS320C55x-series), seem to be able to run at 100MHz, with an input clock of 14.32MHz you'd almost be capable of doing a 7x overclock... to be safe let's go with 6x, which means running at about 86MHz, and calculating an operator in 48 cycles or less, something that seems almost doable.

A DSP like that costs around 5-10 USD, at that price you can get an FPGA with around 1280 LUTs (such as a Lattice ICE40 (LP|HX)1K), which can, I suspect, be run at around 30-50MHz when bearing an FM synthesis configuration.

I'm unsure as to which would be better... especially since imho if these can make a better-than-OPL3 simulation, they probably should, so "good enough" really isn't...
everything is so broken building anything is like building on a pile of sand -me 5 dec. 2023
VERA suggs: Extra PSG Waves(viewtopic.php?t=6923) Togg Opacity and Bitmap Fine Addr.(viewtopic.php?t=6981)