Color bug with screen128

This is the starting place for reporting bugs to the team. We will pass bug reports on to the developers after validating the reports.

You can report bugs in hardware, operating system (KERNAL or BASIC ROMs), the emulator, or the Demo library. For bugs specific to downloaded programs, use the download forum.
Sid_Som

Color bug with screen128

Post by Sid_Som »

I tried it on the web emulator also, it does the same.

But this is the bug, when you go to screen mode 128 it does not show the text for the black color.
Not sure if this issue has been brought up before or not (I checked the other topics and did not see it). I noticed it when going back to finish a program.

Is this an issue in the actual hardware or just the emulator?
DragWx

Re: Color bug with screen128

Post by DragWx »

Color 0 is always the transparent color. If you did "COLOR 0,1" and printed some text, you'd see an effect that looks like the letters are cut out from white blocks, through which you see the graphics layer.

Try color 16 instead; it's also black but not transparent.
kelli217

Post by kelli217 »

DragWx wrote: Mon Jul 03, 2023 2:56 pm Color 0 is always the transparent color. If you did "COLOR 0,1" and printed some text, you'd see an effect that looks like the letters are cut out from white blocks, through which you see the graphics layer.

Try color 16 instead; it's also black but not transparent.
A little tricky to do that. The COLOR command doesn't support values higher than 15, no matter what mode the text screen is in.

Layer 1's config has to have its T256C bit set, in addition to being in tile mode and 1bpp color depth.

And only then can you do it, by putting the low nybble of the color index in the 'foreground' value for the COLOR command, and the high nybble in the 'background' value. For color 16, then, that's COLOR 0,1.
DragWx

Post by DragWx »

Oops, you're right. :P

Having bitmap + 256 color text mode could be a potential screen mode candidate; I know in DOS, you can toggle between being able to have blinking text or being able to use all 16 colors for text background colors. This would end up being similar.
Sid_Som

Post by Sid_Som »

So using the color black for text is out of the question for screen mode 128? Wasn't sure if that was intentional or not.
Oh well; guess there will be no black option then (for people to use in this game). :)
Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

There's nothing stopping you from defining any of the colors #1-#15 as black.
Sid_Som

Post by Sid_Som »

You mean I can change one of the other colors to black? I do not know how to do that.
Sid_Som

Post by Sid_Som »

There's a COLOR command? Was unaware of that. Either way, the COLOR command is irrelevant to my program. But thank you all for the reply.
Guybrush

Post by Guybrush »

Sid_Som wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2023 12:23 am You mean I can change one of the other colors to black? I do not know how to do that.
The color palette is in VERA's memory at $1FA00-$1FBFF, two bytes (12 bits, actually) for each entry.

So, to set the color #N to black, simply set $1FA00 + (N * 2) and $1FA00 + (N * 2 + 1) to 0

In BASIC, that would be
VPOKE 1,$FA00+N*2,0
VPOKE 1,$FA00+N*2+1,0
ahenry3068

Post by ahenry3068 »

I've been trying out various techniques even if they aren't quite necessary.

I was using transparent text, just making sure there was a black graphics screen behind it.

I just used this vpoke to use color 6 as black text, works perfectly.

Used it in my Game of Life, not quite posted yet for this function... Will post whatever I have done
before bedtime tonight. (1 or 2 hrs from now....lol)

Playing with visual stuff now... Hope to implement Mouse input