X16 Manufacturing, Mythbusting and more.

Announcements by the development team or forum staff.
Edmond D

X16 Manufacturing, Mythbusting and more.

Post by Edmond D »

The latest update from David - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qv40woqW6d4
DragWx

Re: X16 Manufacturing, Mythbusting and more.

Post by DragWx »

I really appreciate that David took some time to dispel some misinformation, because I think I ran across that exact "it was $50 and now it's $500" comment, and I remember immediately thinking that something about that claim didn't sound right, like it sounded too unbelievable. :P

The thing is though, I like the CX16, so I'm going to have an open mind about the whats and whys about its development and production. People who already have their minds made up about it are going to seek out reasons to be against it, and I think that's where most of the misinformation will come from, and it's going to hurt the people who don't know what's actually true or false about the CX16.

On a lighter note, I'm excited to see how this is developing, I love seeing the details on the manufacturing process, and I'm definitely interested in buying one; I wasn't part of that initial batch because I wanted to wait until it had a little more time in the oven first, but I'm thinking I might be ready for this new batch. :D
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Thanks for posting this!

It's exciting to get a peek behind the curtain, and it's fantastic to see the continued enthusiasm for the project.

Also, thanks to David for spearheading such a fun retro project!
Edmond D

Post by Edmond D »

DragWx wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:22 pm I really appreciate that David took some time to dispel some misinformation, because I think I ran across that exact "it was $50 and now it's $500" comment, and I remember immediately thinking that something about that claim didn't sound right, like it sounded too unbelievable. :P

The thing is though, I like the CX16, so I'm going to have an open mind about the whats and whys about its development and production. People who already have their minds made up about it are going to seek out reasons to be against it, and I think that's where most of the misinformation will come from, and it's going to hurt the people who don't know what's actually true or false about the CX16.

On a lighter note, I'm excited to see how this is developing, I love seeing the details on the manufacturing process, and I'm definitely interested in buying one; I wasn't part of that initial batch because I wanted to wait until it had a little more time in the oven first, but I'm thinking I might be ready for this new batch. :D
I use the mantra of "Don't believe everything one reads on the internet, nor only read only what one believes on it either." With over 30 years on the net I've seen a lot of misinformation, mud slinging and divisiveness. I've got better things to do, like think in 6502 op codes & machine cycles. :D At least the detractors have avoided this little heaven of X16ishness, or been moderated out.

Like you, I'm waiting for the first mass run to buy a CX16. Hopefully the first 100 units shake out further minor issues that won't be seen in the next run. I think it's worth the wait.
Daedalus

Post by Daedalus »

Heh. I just finished watching the video. Ran over here (Ok. Hobbled over to the computer.) to see if there was any convo about it yet!

What surprised me about the video was that they weren't getting fully populated and tested boards! Those few, overworked people stashing boxes of stuff where their car(s) (Only one car now... how long before both are out of the garage?) are supposed to be, then the logistics of it all... programming ROMS, microcontrollers, sdcards... etc. Yikes.

The simple fact that the last run sold out immediately even at 500 speaks volumes.

One of the things all of this this tells me is the sheer popularity of BASIC. It's always been that way, really... I've just ignored it. But the reality is that programming unique things in compiled languages is HARD. Way harder than most people are willing to sign up for, BASIC serves to flatten that curve.
Ser Olmy

Post by Ser Olmy »

I noticed David saying, rather casually, that the next run will "have the cartridge port turned sideways," or something to that effect.

What does that mean? The X16 dev boards don't have a "cartridge port," they have four expansion slots.
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

Ser Olmy wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 9:57 pm I noticed David saying, rather casually, that the next run will "have the cartridge port turned sideways," or something to that effect.

What does that mean? The X16 dev boards don't have a "cartridge port," they have four expansion slots.
Same thing. The left slot will be rotated so a cartridge can be plugged in from the side.
PrismaticRealms

Post by PrismaticRealms »

Same thing. The left slot will be rotated so a cartridge can be plugged in from the side.
This will be true on the next batch of 1000 developer boards, is that my understanding?

So does this mean that with the Lazer3D case that I purchased, which has a cartridge slot cutout on the top panel, I won't be able to insert a cartridge into the slot via the cutout? I don't think the case has a side cartridge slot. What can be done then? Will I be able to remove the top panel and slide the cartridge into one of the other 3 vertical slots? Will Lazer3D be selling a replacement side panel with a side slot cutout?
TomXP411

Post by TomXP411 »

PrismaticRealms wrote: Fri Jul 07, 2023 6:11 pm
This will be true on the next batch of 1000 developer boards, is that my understanding?

So does this mean that with the Lazer3D case that I purchased, which has a cartridge slot cutout on the top panel, I won't be able to insert a cartridge into the slot via the cutout? I don't think the case has a side cartridge slot. What can be done then? Will I be able to remove the top panel and slide the cartridge into one of the other 3 vertical slots? Will Lazer3D be selling a replacement side panel with a side slot cutout?
You'll want to contact them directly about this. You'll want them to hold off manufacturing your case until the design of the second run of boards has been designed and Lazer 3D can design a new side panel.
mortarm

Post by mortarm »

Edmond D wrote: Wed Jul 05, 2023 8:38 pm Like you, I'm waiting for the first mass run to buy a CX16. Hopefully the first 100 units shake out further minor issues that won't be seen in the next run. I think it's worth the wait.
I'm gonna wait 'til I can get one completely assembled w/case and keyboard. I've been building PCs for about 30 years, and like the song goes, the thrill is gone.