Introducing Your Commander X16 Personal Computer (brief intro)

Tutorials and help articles.

Articles will be approved by our staff before posting. This is to ensure that the community gets the highest quality possible content.
voidstar

Introducing Your Commander X16 Personal Computer (brief intro)

Post by voidstar »

From Kevin's 1-page "here's the X16" quickstart letter included in "the 100" to an in depth 500-page technical reference, we're still trying to find the right balance on manuals.

Here is my 20-page offering, focused more on having a Gen1 physical system in your hands, and for those who have been away from putting together a system like this for a long time and need a brief refresher.

UPDATED FOR R45 (what the "1000 units" batch will be launched with):
https://github.com/voidstar78/X16_MANUA ... T_REV9.pdf

It's not a lengthy hand-holding step by step manual, like many of the original Commodore, Tandy, and Apple manuals used to be. But it is also kept brief for cost reasons: if someone wants an actual printed manual to go with the system, then just 20 pages is still going to cost $5 - $10 (using actual "book like" thick glossy paper).

If any official manual were to be decided, then a decision has to be made on who prints it: with the case or with the mainboard? or a third party altogether and offers the two together as a single package? We're still aways from that as we test the waters on the overall interest in the system (or which configurations are preferred).

One suggestion has been that a printed manual can probably be under 10 pages (and with no need to include any programming examples). Other suggestions are to commit to a more verbose ~50 page manual (such as describing each available BASIC command). Others still desire a complete 500-page technical manual on every facet of the system, such as descriptions of the memory map and each opcode.

Anyhow, this little document is just a "Fan Inspired Manual" to anyone interested. I'll have notes on how I had it printed available soon, and how it turned out. I printed it in a 7" format, but the overall format was inspired by the Tandy Color Computer original 10" introductory manual.
jhames

Re: Introducing Your Commander X16 Personal Computer (brief intro)

Post by jhames »

Thanks for posting this. it is a good start on using the X16.